Popped collars

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Because the whole practice it to make yourself look like a snobby bitch.
Originally posted by: Mo0o
It's because the people that pop them KNOW they look like pompous assholes yet they still do it , which makes them even bigger douches
^ Add those two opinions up and that's right where I'm at on this subject. I wear this shirt often. You'd be amazed how many people comment about it.

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel
Originally posted by: Deeko
Originally posted by: claydawg
I'm an IT Consultant at a large University. The only people who pop their collars here are the fratboys. Since all of the frat guys are assholes, most people at the school despise this horrible fashion statement.

See, thats just ridiculous, ignorant, and wrong. I'm glad you can make such an astute observation though.

Are you a frat boy, Deeko? (If it's already been answered...sorry. I haven't read the entire thread).

I am in a fraternity, yes.

I am not an asshole(in the traditional fratboy sense...maybe on ATOT but thats just to be funny), we do 4,000 hours of community service/year, donate over $10k to charities/year, and have an average cumulative GPA of 3.25. Yes, many of the brothers do pop their collars at parties.

Not all frats are quite as lovely as the picture you paint of yours. Especially the ones that require you to be rich, a jock, and/or do coke to get in. Don't pretend they don't exist.

Also, I have never seen someone with a popped collar who didn't look like a massive tool. The experiences I've had with kids and popped collars is that they all have vapid personalities and talk about brainless crap that your average 12 year old has grown out (hehe boobies). But this is from my limited experience, fortunately popped collars have only swept through the lacrosse team on my campus.

Though nothing I say should matter anyhow, I'm wearing a pink shirt right now.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Ilmater
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Because the whole practice it to make yourself look like a snobby bitch.
Originally posted by: Mo0o
It's because the people that pop them KNOW they look like pompous assholes yet they still do it , which makes them even bigger douches
^ Add those two opinions up and that's right where I'm at on this subject. I wear this shirt often. You'd be amazed how many people comment about it.

Do Frat boys who claim they don't pop their collar come up to you and heroically defend their Frat brothers who do it?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: brigden
I'll chime in:

Flipping one's collar up is a trend popular amongst the young alpha male, frat boy types. These individuals are typically extroverted (read: loud, obnoxious) and popular with women.

Basically, they're the anthesis of your typical Anandtech member.

Essentially, what we have is another example of maladjusted, socially retarded Internet losers lashing out at people they secretly wish to be like. End of story.

Trust me, you idiots spend more time thinking about "popped collars" than the people who engage in the behaviour.

Get a life.

Maybe they just think it looks dumb? If I see an ugly lady wearing a purple and green paisley dress, I think "man that's an ugly dress" not "man I wish I were more like her."

I don't think there'd be as much anti-collar popping if there weren't so many people doing it. Most of the people I see doing it are teenage kids, btw.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: csyberblue
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
I'm from Alaska. WTF is a "popped collar"?

picture taken at random from a google picture search:

a popped collar

man popping collars up on polo shirts is one thing, but popping collars up on a dress shirt is just lame.

and just to make it clear, i am not a fan of popping collars up on any sort of shirt

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I remember guys doing this when i was in high school. that was over 10 years ago.

Sad this fad has came back. I thought it was lame then.