Poll: Will the 2020 Olympics ever happen?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Happens? Or never does?

• The 2020 Olympics will happen starting as scheduled with opening ceremony Friday, July 23

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • The 2020 Olympics will happen, but will be delayed again from current schedule

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • The 2020 Olympics will be scrubbed

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • The 2020 Olympics will start on time but be prematurely terminated due to uncontrolled virus spread

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
this time around, if you have an ID for any tv provider, you can pretty much watch whatever you want on nbcolympics.com

I tried watching the sailing coverage on that site, and it was terrible. They basically had one helicopter following the boats, and you could barely hear the announcer over the helicopter noise. The production quality was on par with the local cable company filming a high school football game.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I tried watching the sailing coverage on that site, and it was terrible. They basically had one helicopter following the boats, and you could barely hear the announcer over the helicopter noise. The production quality was on par with the local cable company filming a high school football game.

The days of Jim McKay's "Wide World of Sports" adding drama to literally everything are long over I'm afraid.

Reactions: highland145

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
So on Tues, 7/27, Simone Biles withdrew from Gymnastics due to mental health during the team competition.

Russia wins Gold, USA wins silver in the team competition.
(scoring is best 3 scores out of the 4 person team per event)

So what happens to the individual competition?
USA gymnast MyKayla Skinner didnt qualify for any individual or team medals because of the 2 per country rule:

So Skinner went home to USA on Sun, 7/25?
If she stayed, would she have been able to fill in for Biles?

• Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I wonder how the Olympics coverage on Peacock is going to be. Will it be good, or will it be 90% swimming and gymnastics coverage like NBC does?
It turns out Peacock has very little live coverage. They have a "Tokyo Now" hours-long show overnight hosted by Kenny Mayne where they'll show extended highlights. At least this is my understanding after watching it for a bit last night. IIRC the "premium" paid tier adds live USA basketball games.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
So on Tues, 7/27, Simone Biles withdrew from Gymnastics due to mental health during the team competition.

Russia wins Gold, USA wins silver in the team competition.
(scoring is best 3 scores out of the 4 person team per event)

So what happens to the individual competition?
USA gymnast MyKayla Skinner didnt qualify for any individual or team medals because of the 2 per country rule:

So Skinner went home to USA on Sun, 7/25?
If she stayed, would she have been able to fill in for Biles?
No idea about Skinner taking over her spot. Last i heard, Simone was playing it day-by-day to see if she's going to compete in the individuals. That's as of Tuesday 7/28. I haven't heard anything yet today.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
No idea about Skinner taking over her spot. Last i heard, Simone was playing it day-by-day to see if she's going to compete in the individuals. That's as of Tuesday 7/28. I haven't heard anything yet today.
Today, Thursday, is the woman's gymnastics individuals and news radio said this morning that she's still out :(

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Today, Thursday, is the woman's gymnastics individuals and news radio said this morning that she's still out :(
Individual all-around today, guess that's what she didn't do today.

There are still the individual apparatuses too which i think she qualified for all of them. Those are next Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics#Schedule
I didn't want to do too much searching as i don't want to hear the results before i watch tonight. I assume at this time they're already over with.

Whatever she decides to do(or not) i hope it works out for the best for her.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Individual all-around today, guess that's what she didn't do today.

There are still the individual apparatuses too which i think she qualified for all of them. Those are next Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics#Schedule
I didn't want to do too much searching as i don't want to hear the results before i watch tonight. I assume at this time they're already over with.

Whatever she decides to do(or not) i hope it works out for the best for her.
just saw the gymnastics 'all around' competition on nbc.
The eventual Gold winner (USA's Suni Lee) was currently in 1st place.

There was only one person left who was close enough in score to potentially beat her.
but She stepped out of bounds TWICE in the floor exercise for a .4 penalty!
she lost Gold by .135 points and got silver. :eek:

even tho i knew who the Gold winner was hrs ago because what they showed on NBC was not live, it was still very exciting.
I had no idea about the nail biting finish!

or the improbable happening:
the person who stepped out of bounds had a perfect floor routine in the preliminaries.
and she's the current gold medal winner at the Pan Am games.

Unbelievable that a person of that caliber stepped out of bounds, much less twice.

so the moons aligned for Suni to win Gold in the all-around:
1) Simon Biles, favored to win Gold, drops out
2) The person who should have won Gold committed TWO uncharacteristic errors

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
US womens soccer...2 more goals disallowed for being offsides (in the last half of the 2nd overtime no less but were pretty easy calls - so that is 10 total for the Olympics so far) but the goalie stopped one PK shot during regulation and then 2 more in the PK shootout round...

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
As a courtesy, if someone is going to post so-and-so won the gold today would you put it under the spoiler tag please. Or put "spoiler" & some blank space before writing anything.
Some of us don't get to see/hear anything till later at night.

Reactions: Captante and manly

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
As a courtesy, if someone is going to post so-and-so won the gold today would you put it under the spoiler tag please. Or put "spoiler" & some blank space before writing anything.
Some of us don't get to see/hear anything till later at night.
Hasn't been much of a problem so far.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
WHATABOUT them Russians and ther use of forbidden performance enhancing drugs???? Sorry thats another thread.....

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I am not really paying any attention to the medal tables - I just check Japan's COVID stats every now and then.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Simone Biles is out for Vault and uneven bar Individuals this Sun.
MyKayla Skinner steps in to replace her but only for the Vault. (she didnt make top 8 to qualify in uneven bar finals.)

so cinderella MyKayla might still get a medal after all.
(She failed to make the Olympic team in 2012 and was only an alternate in the 2016 Olympics even though she scored higher at Trials than someone that did make the team. :eek:
Maybe 3rd time's the charm?)

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
So i just learned that the opening ceremony featured select video game works.

Including the Stock Aitken Waterman inspired "Robo's Theme".

Mitsuda might claim coincidence, but I would argue the contrary. Now, the weebs lap up his excuses like loyal bitches...

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
So i just learned that the opening ceremony featured select video game works.

Including the Stock Aitken Waterman inspired "Robo's Theme".

Mitsuda might claim coincidence, but I would argue the contrary. Now, the weebs lap up his excuses like loyal bitches...

I heard Frog's Theme and a track from Kingdom Hearts as well.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Italy takes gold in the 100M final, was not exegeted to compete for a medial, it was the countries first time ever in the final and wins it. USA and Canada come 2nd, and 3rd.

With no Bolt in the race it was wide open, shockingly no Jamaican's in the final at all. It was an amazing race all around, false start with a DQ, then someone's hamstring blew mid race. We saw our Canadian athlete storming in from last place to reach the podium earning his second bronze in a row since Rio.

Would love to hear the Italian commentary for this final.

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I bet he ate a big ol' pile of piping hot fettuccine Alfredo right before running.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Why didnt Usan Bolt run?
did he retire and become a soccer player like he said shortly after 2016 Rio Olympics?

He retired a year after Rio. Winning the 100 and 200 meter races for three straight Olympic cycles he had nothing left to prove. His 100M record will not be broken for a very long time either.

Reactions: highland145

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Simone Biles is out for Vault and uneven bar Individuals this Sun.
MyKayla Skinner steps in to replace her but only for the Vault. (she didnt make top 8 to qualify in uneven bar finals.)

so cinderella MyKayla might still get a medal after all.
(She failed to make the Olympic team in 2012 and was only an alternate in the 2016 Olympics even though she scored higher at Trials than someone that did make the team. :eek:
Maybe 3rd time's the charm?)

And MyKalya's cinderella story comes true! She wins Silver in the Vault:

MyKayla Skinner of Gilbert/Desert Lights won a silver medal Sunday in the Tokyo Olympic women's vaulting final. She replaced Simone Biles in the event.

Also, her teammate Suni Lee wins Bronze on the uneven bars altho i thought the Chinese gymnast that didn't fall looked better and should have beat her. (There were 2 gymnasts from the Chinese team in the finals.)

i thought her routine was more difficult than Suni's but the judges thought otherwise.
(Suni had to skip the difficult part of her routine because she botched the set up for it TWICE. :eek: )
That Chinese gymnast came in 4th by .1 point.

And if the other Chinese gymnast didnt fall, she would have gotten silver. :eek:
That gymnast is the current reigning world champion on uneven bars.
So then the person who got silver would have gotten bronze and Suni Lee would have been knocked out of the medals.

The moons aligned for Suni, again!
Link to the 1st time the improbable happened a couple of days ago, which resulted in Gold: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/poll-will-the-2020-olympics-ever-happen.2594037/post-40556046

Last edited: