Poll: Will the 2020 Olympics ever happen?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Happens? Or never does?

• The 2020 Olympics will happen starting as scheduled with opening ceremony Friday, July 23

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • The 2020 Olympics will happen, but will be delayed again from current schedule

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • The 2020 Olympics will be scrubbed

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • The 2020 Olympics will start on time but be prematurely terminated due to uncontrolled virus spread

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Dunno the motivations, but the recycling thing is likely for real. Population density is intense in Japan, recycling has to be a priority.

People who want to copulate generally find a way! :D

The Japanese people have been doing it on tatami, so cardboard bed is not too different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Dunno the motivations, but the recycling thing is likely for real. Population density is intense in Japan, recycling has to be a priority.

People who want to copulate generally find a way! :D
Hope they keep the cockroaches away since cockroaches love cardboard.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Not looking to good so early already. I have a feeling the whole thing gets shutdown half way through, if before. Kind of sad really.

They really should have made it a bubble where no one can go in without quarantining first.

Or just cancel it. But the greedy IOC can't allow that.

Japan's going to lose so much money on this debacle.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Or just cancel it. But the greedy IOC can't allow that.

Japan's going to lose so much money on this debacle.
The Japanese know a lot about catastrophes:

Earthquakes
Tsunamis
Fukushima
Pandemic
WW II
Economic stagnation
Population density strangulation (limited land space)

What have I left out?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The Japanese know a lot about catastrophes:

Earthquakes
Tsunamis
Fukushima
Pandemic
WW II
Economic stagnation
Population density strangulation (limited land space)

What have I left out?
WWII was only a minor catastrophe for them and they probably wouldn't have lost if they didn't wake up America. Had they surrendered, they would have not had two atomic bombs dropped. In fact, the rebuilding of the country after the way probably set them up for some success afterwards. The real catastrophe was the battle for survival the opposition and people they subjugated had to suffer during the war. The Emperor and his family even slipped away from being tried for war crimes.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I wonder how the Olympics coverage on Peacock is going to be. Will it be good, or will it be 90% swimming and gymnastics coverage like NBC does?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Beach volley-ball is about as close as it gets I'm afraid. ;)
Sick that it's so hot and muggy in Tokyo right now. In 1964 they scheduled the Tokyo Olympics in October, which worked around the problem, which is, of course, a greater problem now because of GW.

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Btw - Japanese athletes don't stay with guest athletes at the village - they have their own private facility off-site with REAL furniture beds that's not cardboard (normal size hotel bed size which in comparison seems huge) and much more spacious rooms.

How? Olympic organizers put in a little exception to the room & board rule for the athletes that "as long as facility is approved by organizing committee..." any facility can be used. So they approved the off-village site for their own athletes and kept it hush hush.

A bit of home court advantage *wink* *wink*...
On the news the other day when they were reporting about a girl on the US gymnastics team testing positive for Covid they said the team wasn't staying in the Olympic village either. They had their own accommodations.
I wonder how much of that goes on?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
On the news the other day when they were reporting about a girl on the US gymnastics team testing positive for Covid they said the team wasn't staying in the Olympic village either. They had their own accommodations.
I wonder how much of that goes on?

I heard that at least the US women's gymnastics team is staying in a hotel.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
they looked a bit better today...getting two goals from the other team doesn't hurt either...couple more didn't count since they were called offsides...

Hey they still count! :p

No risk of winning gold in soccer for the US ladies this year. :confused_old:

Reactions: spacejamz

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Men's volleyball was supposed to be on at 9am this morning. Regular NBC network. Turn it on & they're showing 3x3 women's Bball...CRAP!!!
I'm thinking great, what they say they're going to air is just a suggestion. Turns out the game was just delayed & they aired it in full, live. Thinking about it i guess because of the time difference early morning will be about the only time NBC will air an event live.
USA defeated France in 3 sets.

edit-
Whoops, my bad. Early morning here is late evening there & primetime here(8pm) is early morning there so i might get to see some live events.

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The good news is that NBC is doing their primetime Olympics broadcasts in 4K this year.

The bad news is that it's NBC, so they'll probably spend 90% of their time focusing on swimming and gymnastics.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
The good news is that NBC is doing their primetime Olympics broadcasts in 4K this year.

The bad news is that it's NBC, so they'll probably spend 90% of their time focusing on swimming and gymnastics.

this time around, if you have an ID for any tv provider, you can pretty much watch whatever you want on nbcolympics.com

Reactions: Captante