Poll: Will the 2020 Olympics ever happen?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Happens? Or never does?

• The 2020 Olympics will happen starting as scheduled with opening ceremony Friday, July 23

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • The 2020 Olympics will happen, but will be delayed again from current schedule

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • The 2020 Olympics will be scrubbed

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • The 2020 Olympics will start on time but be prematurely terminated due to uncontrolled virus spread

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Yeah, i was a little confused by the score of the one Chinese gymnast. She seemed to have a better go on the bars. Maybe Suni's routine was more difficult???
Anyway, that was cool to see MyKayla get a medal. Congrats to both of them on their medals!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Yeah, i was a little confused by the score of the one Chinese gymnast. She seemed to have a better go on the bars. Maybe Suni's routine was more difficult???

Anyway, that was cool to see MyKayla get a medal. Congrats to both of them on their medals!
As i said in the previous post, Suni skipped a difficult part of her routine because she botched the set up for it.
so the judges took off points for difficulty.

the chinese gymnast executed a difficult maneuver to the low bar, twice.
Suni just leaped to low with no special tricks, twice.
Like i said, moons aligned for her.

Yes on MyKayla.
it was so sad last week that she ended her Olympics with no medals. (Only 4 can be on the team competition but USA had 6 gymnast and she wasnt one of them.)

Then moons aligned with her with Biles dropping out, allowing her to compete in the Vault event and won Silver.

Also, just realized the 2nd person not in the Team competition, Jade Carey, also does not have any medals, yet. :eek: (The 4 in the Team competition got Silver.)
But she still has the Floor Exercise left.

The moons have NOT aligned for Jade so far.
Her strongest event was the Vault and she tripped just before touching the Vault, which affected her execution and finished in last place. :eek:

And In the All Around competition, she fell off the Balance team, also placing her last. :(

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Also, just realized the 2nd person not in the Team competition, Jade Carey, also does not have any medals, yet. :eek: (The 4 in the Team competition got Silver.)
But she still has the Floor Exercise left.

The moons have NOT aligned for Jade so far.
Her strongest event was the Vault and she tripped just before touching the Vault, which affected her execution and finished in last place. :eek:

And In the All Around competition, she fell off the Balance team, also placing her last. :(

And Jade wins Gold on the Floor Exercise!

Jade Carey called her performance “the best floor routine I’ve ever done in my life.”

Was afraid the good luck that MyKayla and Suni received all balanced out with bad luck to Jade.

Tripping just before you touch the Vault?
How often does that happen at any world class competition?!

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
NBC network coverage seems to be completely ignoring soccer this time around. Hardly ever hear anything mentioned at all about it. Surprisingly they are showing a decent amount of indoor volleyball along with the usual amount of beach.
To NBC's credit, they are trying hard to show different sports than the normal troika of swimming, gymnastics and track/field. Unfortunately, you can fit only so much into a 4 hour prime time broadcast, so the effort is somewhat self-defeating. On the West coast, in between prime time and late night, they are squeezing in a half hour solely for less popular events.

With as many broadcast channels and streams they are using, I doubt if this is really the right strategy. If someone is motivated to watch a less popular sport, they'll need to be a cable TV subscriber. Force-feeding fencing or canoeing onto the masses in small bites isn't going to help their ratings, nor will it silence the critics of the NBC approach.

As for soccer specifically, it is semi popular in the U.S. but the matches are also not that short. So it's nearly impossible to show a soccer or basketball match on the national NBC broadcast as it would eat up almost a couple hours. IIRC NBC made it a point to have the men's Gold medal match in basketball live on the OTA broadcast this weekend before the Games close. But don't quote me on that one.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I'm not really complaining about soccer coverage. I realize it's hard to cover everything & yes the games would take up a large chunk of time. And i'm sure there is a way to watch if one wanted.
It's just that i have barely heard them say anything about soccer at all. They do this "around the Olympics" where they at least talk about what's going on in some other sports. To be quite honest i can't say for sure i've heard them mention anything soccer.

And i'm glad to see other, less popular sports. Not complaining but with the US women's team doing good enough to at least play for a medal they've been kind of quiet about it. Or maybe i just missed it when they did talk about it.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I'm not really complaining about soccer coverage. I realize it's hard to cover everything & yes the games would take up a large chunk of time. And i'm sure there is a way to watch if one wanted.
It's just that i have barely heard them say anything about soccer at all. They do this "around the Olympics" where they at least talk about what's going on in some other sports. To be quite honest i can't say for sure i've heard them mention anything soccer.

And i'm glad to see other, less popular sports. Not complaining but with the US women's team doing good enough to at least play for a medal they've been kind of quiet about it. Or maybe i just missed it when they did talk about it.
Maybe because USWNT was held scoreless in 3 of its matches? Hope the women get it together for the final match, but I don't know why NBC hasn't given them any mention.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Cool to see the US women win a golds in Volleyball, indoor especially. First time ever for that.

Doing some looking ahead after hearing one of the organizers for Paris... breakdancing will be a sport in 2024 o_OWTF!?!?!?

Wrestling was to be voted out as a sport but was re-instated for 2020. I did not know that. Wrestling was probably one of the original Olympic sports.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Gotta love how the US beat commie china in Gold and Silver and Bronze medals. Take that, mao.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Gotta love how the US beat commie china in Gold and Silver and Bronze medals. Take that, mao.
1628468454198.png

US made a good comeback in the Gold column. (China was leading most of the way).
Wow at Japan coming in 3rd in Gold. :eek:

Also, poor German equestrian rider.
She was headed for gold when her horse got spooked and refused to jump the 5th hurdle.
She finished in 31st place because she didnt finish the event. :(

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Whats the point of banning Russia from the Olympics for its years of breaking anti-doping rules if their athletes are still allowed to compete??

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Whats the point of banning Russia from the Olympics for its years of breaking anti-doping rules if their athletes are still allowed to compete??

The 2020 commie athletes , although Russian, had nothing to do with cheating during a prior Olympics. It serves no purpose to penalize them. I suppose the cheaters themselves have all been banned.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
WHATABOUT them Russians and ther use of forbidden performance enhancing drugs???? Sorry thats another thread.....
That's why they weren't called the team from Russia. They are serving a long penalty for systemic forbidden performance enhancing drugs in their programs. They were lucky they were allowed to perform. The penalty was slap on wrist: they were called the ROC (Russian Olympic Committee team).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So i just learned that the opening ceremony featured select video game works.
I thought the Opening Ceremonies were terrific. Maybe my DVR system messed up the Closing Ceremonies, because they seemed pretty meh in comparison.

I stopped checking out this thread before the Opening Ceremonies because I was DVRing all the OTA NBC coverage except after the 11PM news which TitanTV showed as repeats of the previous evening broadcast when I looked (west coast). So, daily 10AM-3PM and 4:30PM-11PM went on my 2TB hard drive. I only finished watching it all last night (FF through commercials and some to-me boring stuff).

Some of my favorite moments:

The womens Gold Medal in pole vault going to American from IIRC Ohio. She appeared to clear the starting height on her final attempt by about 1/2 an inch! She got better and better as the night went on and ultimately defeated the 2019 World Champion from Russia, vaulting over 16 feet.

US Women winning Gold in indoor volleyball, first ever for USA women. Happy for Karch.

A-Team winning Gold in beach volleyball, they went undefeated.

That Chinese 14 year old getting around 20 perfect scores (10) out of ~36 in 10 meter platform diving finals, unheard of level of excellence.

Jade Carey winning Gold in floor exercise.

MyKayla Skinner winning Silver on Vault.

Caeleb Dressel winning all that Gold.

Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge winning the men's marathon by over a minute. At the end he looked as though he'd just run around the block. To say he's the greatest marathon runner of all time is a gross understatement. He's simply astonishing.

Alaskan 17 YO Jacoby winning Gold in a shocker.

Katie Ledecky, they call her the greatest ever!

Last edited:
Reactions: JEDIYoda

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
He retired a year after Rio. Winning the 100 and 200 meter races for three straight Olympic cycles he had nothing left to prove. His 100M record will not be broken for a very long time either.
9.58 seconds. Probably very long time!!!!! It wasn't his start, he was just flat out by far the fastest runner (meters/second top speed) that has ever lived. Close to 27 mph.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I thought the Opening Ceremonies were terrific. Maybe my DVR system messed up the Closing Ceremonies, because they seemed pretty meh in comparison.

Katie Ledecky!
She grew up in Bethesda, MD, which is the rich people's section of Montgomery County, MD.

Now, as for the specimen Robo's Theme.

This is Robo's theme, with the first melodic theme starting at 0:08:

The is the suspicious "coincidence" in the accompaniment of "Together Forever", starting at 1:58:

Reactions: Muse

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Hey... even the Japanese know that you can't improve on rockin melodies of Rick Astley!

You're never gonna give them up, they're never gonna let you down.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
China was leading ALL of the way until like the last day.
Not in total medals, but the US edged em out 39 to 38 gold medals on the last day. AFAIK, it was the women beating Brazil indoor volleyball. Was glad to see that one.

Killer volleyball match was Ross and Klineman beating the Ausies in the final. They were really on their game, served lights out.