Poll: Was Trump's tweet to 4 Congresswomen of color to go back to your corrupt country, racist?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Was Trump's tweet to the 4 members of Congress, racist?

• Total voters

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I think it was just typical Trump "dog whistle" politics designed to stirr up his opposition and his base at the same time.

So not racism, racism. Did you think your reasoning through?

But thank you for at least posting your reasoning.

Reactions: MAMAFUFU

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We are up to 4 people who think insisting black US citizens go back where they came from is not racist.

Why are none of you willing to defend your position?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I guess the question is how is this any different than racist? I'm think that your argument is that he was not actually being racist, as in he does not (at least in this comment) intend to show hate to people based on their race, he was just trying to make people think he was being racist, for his fans. But I contend that is actually racist. If you demean a group of people based on their race to make some racist people happy you have still demeaned a group of people based on their race, and that is a valid definition of racism.

Putting it another way, what you've* done is demean a group, hurt them both emotionally and probably practically, as a means to an end of achieving some other aim. Whether you 'mean' what you say or not, the act of using them like that implies you don't attach much importance to the well-being of that group compared to your own group. You are treating that group as a means rather than an end (Kant might have something to say about that), which, if that group is defined by race, is defacto racist.

There is simply no way to spin Trump's words and actions as anything other than racist. It's the least-deniable case yet.

* (hypothetical 'you', not SMOGZINN!)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Remember how way back when people tried to say that the Tea Party was based in racism and imagined loss of white status in America and we were told it was really all about government spending? Well Trumpism is pretty obviously an outgrowth of the Tea Party.

So now after two years of Trumpism spending is way up and the president is making explicitly racist attacks on his political opponents. Let's check in on his supporters and see which issue they really cared about:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-tweets-supporters-stand-by-president-amid-racist-tweets/

Almost as if on cue, thanks Rush Limbaugh!

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2019/07/16/caller-wants-to-nominate-a-normal-republican/

CALLER: Republicans can nominate a young, potentially two-term president, one that believes in fiscal conservatism. We’re gonna have… In 2019, there’s gonna be a $1 trillion deficit. Trump doesn’t really care about that. He’s not really a fiscal conservative. We have to acknowledge that Trump has been cruelly used.

RUSH: Nobody is a fiscal conservative anymore. All this talk about concern for the deficit and the budget has been bogus for as long as it’s been around.

Rush Limbaugh, the guy who has ranted about the deficit and fiscal conservatism for decades just came straight out and admitted he was lying the whole time. lol.

Some part of me appreciates that at least conservatives are dropping the mask and admitting they are motivated by racism and xenophobia.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I've had this said to me growing up. It's not a rare thing for a person of color to have thrown in their face. Trump said this to 4 members of Congress who are American citizens. 3 of the 4 were born in this country.

The House is scheduling a vote today to condemn Trump's tweets as racist. I want people to go on the record here agree or disagree. Show your work. Justify your position one way or another. That ouse vote will be interesting.

And the fourth has been a citizen longer than his wife.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I would say... yes. You could argue that he's just being ignorant as to the four women's history, but being ignorant and making a bad assumption based upon their race doesn't mean it isn't racist. You could try to argue that he had other reasoning to make that assumption, but I don't see what it would be.

Although, to be honest... I care more about how Trump decided to paint these women as un-American in his statement. It's not only disrespectful, disingenuous, and unbefitting of the highest power, but I'd be a little worried about what sort of unhinged folks are lapping this up. We're in such an awkward time these days with events like "PizzaGate" where rumors and notions go unchecked, and eventually, one misinformed person snaps. You may not care for their policies... you may consider them brash... but I'm sure most (if not all) people here don't think they should be painted as "the enemy".

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Add me to the "nope" list.

While I think what he said was very stupid and xenophobic, and looks racist, I don't think it was. I think it was just typical Trump "dog whistle" politics designed to stirr up his opposition and his base at the same time.

But, as I said, it was a VERY stupid thing to say...especially to 3 native-born Americans and one naturalized citizen.
He was pretty much saying that if you're brown then you cant be a "real" American. That's pretty racist.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Of course it's racist.
If you have doubts on the matter, go to a minority neighborhood, tell them to shut up and go back to Africa or wherever they are from, then ask them if they find that racist.

Use your blood oozing onto the sidewalk to write out the answer so the rest of us know for sure.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Of course it's racist.
If you have doubts on the matter, go to a minority neighborhood, tell them to shut up and go back to Africa or wherever they are from, then ask them if they find that racist.

Use your blood oozing onto the sidewalk to write out the answer so the rest of us know for sure.

Of course it is racist. We don't need to ask anyone. We know. It is not even close. As of right now the poll is sitting at 93.8% know it is racist. I hazard a guess that the general populace will be about the same. Even people that are racist know that statement is racist. It is practically the mating call of the racist people. It is probably even more racist than using the N word. Hell at least some people can use the N word and not be racist. No one can say what Trump said to anyone and not be racist. If you said it to a Norwegian that was lost and looking for the airport, it would still be racist.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't know the family histories of the women involved (and I dont think that it matters) but trumps mum was Scottish and his grandad was German. Does that mean that he needs to "go back where he came from"?

Nov 29, 2006
So since they are from this country maybe he accidentally said the US was “a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all)”. I mean this is Trumps government so maybe he just had a slip of honesty?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
How does trump always manage to step in the poop?
Because it is spewing out of both sides of him so vigorously it would be impossible to miss. By now everything in sight is covered in viscous layers of it. That is why the news makes such a big deal when he manages to make it through a function without stepping in it. That is what is now noteworthy.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Again a simple question. What non-racist reason would Trump have to think these women were not from the US?

If what he said isn’t racist this should be easy to answer.

Reactions: edblor

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I don't know the family histories of the women involved (and I dont think that it matters) but trumps mum was Scottish and his grandad was German. Does that mean that he needs to "go back where he came from"?

Scotland definitely doesn't want him or his brood of criminals. I'm sure Germany feels the same.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
How does trump always manage to step in the poop?

He likes doing it to piss people off. He gets a limp boner from doing it.

As to his methodology, he craps on the ground he's standing on and then starts tap dancing in it or if he really feels the need to show off he does a neat little River Dance number in it with McConnell and Lindsey accompanying on washtub bass, jaw harp, kazoo and spoons.

Last edited: