Poll: Was Trump's tweet to 4 Congresswomen of color to go back to your corrupt country, racist?

Was Trump's tweet to the 4 members of Congress, racist?

• Total voters

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I've had this said to me growing up. It's not a rare thing for a person of color to have thrown in their face. Trump said this to 4 members of Congress who are American citizens. 3 of the 4 were born in this country.

The House is scheduling a vote today to condemn Trump's tweets as racist. I want people to go on the record here agree or disagree. Show your work. Justify your position one way or another. That ouse vote will be interesting.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
As a NY'er who has to listen to that buffoon for close to 40 years, I can say for a fact that Trump is a racist moron.
He is proof that using the line "I have lots of black friends" is a sham.
He is as much of an old racist bastard as his POS father before him.

Reactions: MAMAFUFU

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Trump used one of the top 3 dog whistle racist comments that our modern society has accepted, for decades, as unequivocally racist. Of course his tweet is racist, just as his entire public history has shown his endemic racism. He's a racist, and this has been known for a very long time.

Hell, we have a dude around here that in one thread has called out some random white lady as being "boringly racist" for using the same exact phrase as Trump, which supposedly in another thread and in Trump's Tweet fingers, was obviously not racist. I don't know how to square what is going on in certain people's brains that they can hold such powerfully conflicting interpretations of the same damn thing--it's like two equal-charged neodymium magnets that these morons are trying to force together in their brains, the results of which are massive losses in brain tissue as the energy output from these magnets destroys everything around them.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
-it's like two equal-charged neodymium magnets that these morons are trying to force together in their brains, the results of which are massive losses in brain tissue as the energy output from these magnets destroys everything around them.
Nerdly analogy is nerdly.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Remember how way back when people tried to say that the Tea Party was based in racism and imagined loss of white status in America and we were told it was really all about government spending? Well Trumpism is pretty obviously an outgrowth of the Tea Party.

So now after two years of Trumpism spending is way up and the president is making explicitly racist attacks on his political opponents. Let's check in on his supporters and see which issue they really cared about:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-tweets-supporters-stand-by-president-amid-racist-tweets/

Trump supporters stand by the president amid inflammatory tweets: "That's why I voted for him"

Reactions: IJTSSG

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yup.

An advanced case of TDS would be required to dismiss that blatant racism. Some republicans are up to the challenge though. I think it's telling that even some proud members of Team Treason have called it out as unacceptable, although they have taken pains to avoid the racism angle it seems. Disingenuous in everything, it's the GOP way.

We shouldn't let Trump use this as a Epstein Smokescreen though. He's a racist. We already knew that.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I know plenty of racist.
I have some good friends who are racists.

I do not believe any of them took a job where they had to hold up the law of the land and represent all Americans under those laws.

You have a racist in the oval office who only wants to support the fringe that still supports his ego.
You have a despicable turd of a person heading up the Senate who is willing to flip the bird to a majority of the country and the law of the land because of his ego.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Just gonna put this out there--between middle school and early high school, on a few occasions I had classmates tell me to "go back to Pakistan" despite the fact that neither I nor my parents are from Pakistan. Now, perhaps this phrase was just being used without any racist intent--i.e. as a substitute for "go Fvck off and die", which would be a perfectly natural epithet for this age group. Except for one thing--these guys calling me a "beloved patriot" and telling me to go back there were also the ones proudly calling other people "ni**ers" and "sp*cs" or calling any Eastern European immigrant a "dumb Pole". So yeah, Trump was being racist AF, as it seems only racists prefer to use this language.

Reactions: KMFJD

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The simple answer to anyone who is on the fence on this is to go ask a brown or black friend if they've ever been told in their life to "go back where they came from" and then ask the same of your white friends. See how those experiences compare.
I know my brother-in-law has, we discussed it while on vacation back in june. he's half italian and half native american, said it was a kid who told him that, both he and my sis really hate what trump is doing to theis country.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
The simple answer to anyone who is on the fence on this is to go ask a brown or black friend if they've ever been told in their life to "go back where they came from" and then ask the same of your white friends. See how those experiences compare.
Been told to go back where i came from plenty of times and i'm white and live in Canada and it pisses me off more now than it ever did when i was a kid

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Trump used one of the top 3 dog whistle racist comments that our modern society has accepted, for decades, as unequivocally racist.

A very minor quibble, but 'dog whistles' are by definition designed to not be noticed by all but those receptive to hear it. The term has a useful specific meaning. He's moved beyond dog whistles now - he's using an air-horn. Or maybe a klaxon?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sinsear, Sgt Youk and TheStuck.

Inform us concerning your position that Trump's tweets were not racist?

Add me to the "nope" list.

While I think what he said was very stupid and xenophobic, and looks racist, I don't think it was. I think it was just typical Trump "dog whistle" politics designed to stirr up his opposition and his base at the same time.

But, as I said, it was a VERY stupid thing to say...especially to 3 native-born Americans and one naturalized citizen.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

While I think what he said was very stupid and xenophobic, and looks racist, I don't think it was. I think it was just typical Trump "dog whistle" politics designed to stirr up his opposition and his base at the same time.

I guess the question is how is this any different than racist? I'm think that your argument is that he was not actually being racist, as in he does not (at least in this comment) intend to show hate to people based on their race, he was just trying to make people think he was being racist, for his fans. But I contend that is actually racist. If you demean a group of people based on their race to make some racist people happy you have still demeaned a group of people based on their race, and that is a valid definition of racism.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

But, as I said, it was a VERY stupid thing to say...especially to 3 native-born Americans and one naturalized citizen.
At what point does the repetition of a thing without intent become that thing regardless? Saying sexist comments without an 'intent' of sexism behind it is still sexist. Same with racism. You don't get to just say 'aww i didn't mean it' if someone calls you out on your shit.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

When it arouses latent racism in people who don't usually think in those terms & when every racist in America loves it, it's racist in an entirely calculated way. The GOP has exploited white fear in just that way for decades, if at a much lower volume. It's what the Culture War is really all about.

We all know it would be entirely different were we talking about Norwegians.