Poll: Was the creation of the Jan 6 select committee legitimate?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is the select committee on the Jan 6 insurrection legitimate?

• Total voters

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Why is the only other alternative to cancel the investigation? That doesn't make any sense. They could work this out if they would try. They are all being too partisan to do anything right.

I think the investigation into Jan 6 is the proper thing to do and all those that broke laws should be punished as the law dictates.

I said it already. They should have taken the deal as it was instead they turned it down and played right into vindictive Nancy's spider web and now they are stuck. As far as legitimate goes in my opinion it isn't legitimate due to the committee being practically one sided. When the Dems have a select committee where Democrats are the majority and have sole subpoena power.

The Dems should be a majority as they are the ruling party in the house, but the republicans should be represented by their choice of representatives and should also have subpoena powers.

I know it's legal, doesn't mean it is how it should be. If the shoe was on the other foot you guys would feel the same. I'm not upset by it as you want to make it seem. Life goes on and so will I...

Your bothsiderism & "sole subpoena power" routine are both quite tedious. The minority party never has subpoena power in congressional committees. Who or what do you suppose Jim Jordan would subpoena, anyway? Melissa from Michigan? McCarthy named him so that Pelosi would rightfully reject him, setting the stage for McCarthy to take his ball & go home.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Establishing a baseline before the start of the hearings. Republicans will claim this committee is partisan and ill-legitimate who is only out to get Trump A gentle reminder of the sequence of events that led up to this committee

They tried for an independent committee. Kevin McCarthy sent Rep John Katko to negotiate terms. There would have been equal representation among Democrats and Republicans. Nobody on the committee would be a current member of Congress or running for office. Both sides would have had subpoena powers. Republicans got everything they wanted. Katko took it back to McCarthy and Kevy rejected it.

Pelosi will now run a select committee where Democrats are the majority and have sole subpoena power. It's a deal very similar to Benghazi

Taking all that into consideration is this a legitimate?
The select Committee is legitment because Pelosi was accepting 3 of the 5 people that the Republicans wanted to be on the committee. It was the Republican's fault that they took out all five instead of the rejected two from the committee. Pelosi had nothing to do with that. If she was biased, she would not have selected Liz Cheney or the other two Republicans in the comittee.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
What should have Nancy done since Republicans rejected the independent power sharing committee?

By vindictive do you mean unnecessary actions for the purpose of revenge?

Vindictive is usually used to describe someone who's known for frequently seeking revenge. It can also be used to describe the vengeful actions of such a person. ... Vindictive people retaliate against others for any insult or perceived slight. Vindictive people do not let things go.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Vindictive is usually used to describe someone who's known for frequently seeking revenge. It can also be used to describe the vengeful actions of such a person. ... Vindictive people retaliate against others for any insult or perceived slight. Vindictive people do not let things go.
I'm not ready to let the Republican attempt to overthrow our Republic go and I don't think Speaker Pelosi should either.

• Love

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Pretending Democrats could somehow work with Republicans to get it done together is equivalent to stopping the investigation since we know Republicans refuse to work with Democrats because their base punishes them when they do.

So you can't show where I said it.

• Haha

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What should have Nancy done since Republicans rejected the independent power sharing committee?

What action that you wouldn't call vindictive.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

What action that you wouldn't call vindictive.

It doesn't matter as she is going to do what she is doing anyway.

I think she should have had the same rules with her select committee.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It doesn't matter as she is going to do what she is doing anyway.

I think she should have had the same rules with her select committee.
It matters because I'm challenging your accusation that Pelosi's actions in forming this select committee are vindictive. Unless there is something else she could have done her actions are seeking justice not revenge.

I'll ask again, what other action could Nancy have taken?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It matters because I'm challenging your accusation that Pelosi's actions in forming this select committee are vindictive. Unless there is something else she could have done her actions are seeking justice not revenge.

I'll ask again, what other action could Nancy have taken?

I'm good with it... Look at history. Nancy is vindictive against anyone that goes against her wishes. Dem or Rep.

• Haha

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The select Committee is legitment because Pelosi was accepting 3 of the 5 people that the Republicans wanted to be on the committee. It was the Republican's fault that they took out all five instead of the rejected two from the committee. Pelosi had nothing to do with that. If she was biased, she would not have selected Liz Cheney or the other two Republicans in the comittee.

This is important. Remember the whole thing about compromise. What Pelosi was doing was compromising with McCarthy, she gave him 3 out of 5 members he wanted, and instead of either accepting that compromise or suggesting a different compromise he said either I get everything I want or I take my ball and go home. This is how Republicans always negotiate.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I know. Perhaps a better word would have been credible. Too late now
To that end it simply falls on partisan lines. I think that means it is largely an irrelevant notion. Waiting for Republicans to be willing to police their own is... a non-starter. That would require good faith when there is none.

Though I suppose Pelosi made some decisions on who would be seated on the committee. Not sure I know enough about House politics to fully engage with that. It cannot possibly be worse than years of Benghazi. I found that one had some interesting connections to the US funneling weapons into Syria, but all the House Republicans wanted was to pin dead Americans on Hillary. That part was BS beyond reason. Which goes back to good faith or not. And we know the answer.

A large number of Republicans would have used a seat on the committee to elevate propaganda and fiction. I wonder if that would serve any practical value to us, their opponents?

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm good with it... Look at history. Nancy is vindictive against anyone that goes against her wishes. Dem or Rep.

So... her alleged vindictiveness doesn't apply to the topic at hand? Why have you been making a big deal of it?