Poll: Was the creation of the Jan 6 select committee legitimate?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is the select committee on the Jan 6 insurrection legitimate?

• Total voters

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Sounds like what you are saying is we have a select committee because Republicans turned downed the bi-partisan power sharing independent version and NOTHING could have persuaded them to approve it. That resulted in the select committee we have now.

Under those circumstances how could it not be legitimate? The only other alternative is to cancel the investigation.

Which appears to be what he wants which also happens to be what the gop wants. It’s crazy how they line up in agreement on this issue.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
You full well know what I mean. Or .... you're really dense between the ears, which I don't think is true.
No. I never said they should. If you would read what I said you wouldn't ask such a silly question.
Yes I did. It isn't my fault your comprehension is poor.
You guys are unravelling at the seams. You just want your echo chamber.
Fuck off, you worthless c*nt.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Don’t you know it was all Nancy Pelosi’s fault?
(Direct from the republican talking points memo released 7/27/21)

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
So, is the GOP primarily concerned about optics here, or is there definitive evidence that they are shitting their pants about?

I'm assuming it's the former, but I'll take the latter as an early Bday gift.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So, is the GOP primarily concerned about optics here, or is there definitive evidence that they are shitting their pants about?

I'm assuming it's the former, but I'll take the latter as an early Bday gift.
I think it depends on what you are looking for.

1) Republicans in Congress/White House believed this insurrection was far more serious and dangerous than they now claim. This is a near certainty.
2) Republicans in Congress/White House are sympathetic to the insurrection and support its goals. This is fairly likely.
3) Republicans in Congress/White House aided the insurrection. This is far from certain, but still disturbingly likely given the actions of Boebert, etc.

So it seems at a minimum what comes out will be embarrassing to them as it will show they are lying about the insurrection now. While I think the idea that we will uncover anything that's criminally chargeable against members of Congress I think the odds are fairly high we will uncover things that will be interpreted as criminal by the general public.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0OT3hnle14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dy0nYjSjUY

Testimony from four Capitol Police Officers so far is sickening.

The insurrectionist party will find a rationalization for what they did and also to discredit the people who want to describe the truth of what happened not only on that day but in the 90 days leading up to that moment.

The election was stolen. We were try to stop it from being stolen. And these are obviously pro-union Democrat cops, so of course they’re lying about us

I can't imagine how the questioning would have gone with jordan and Banks on the committee. Part of me wanted those idiots there to be lambasted when they unleashed their wall of bullshit. But, it was the right call to remove those clowns from the committee. The only downside is that this will be used as a pretext for removing democrats from future committees when/if the GOP regains control of either chamber - and they will.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0OT3hnle14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dy0nYjSjUY

Testimony from four Capitol Police Officers so far is sickening.

The insurrectionist party will find a rationalization for what they did and also to discredit the people who want to describe the truth of what happened not only on that day but in the 90 days leading up to that moment.

The election was stolen. We were try to stop it from being stolen. And these are obviously pro-union Democrat cops, so of course they’re lying about us

I can't imagine how the questioning would have gone with jordan and Banks on the committee. Part of me wanted those idiots there to be lambasted when they unleashed their wall of bullshit. But, it was the right call to remove those clowns from the committee. The only downside is that this will be used as a pretext for removing democrats from future committees when/if the GOP regains control of either chamber - and they will.
Maybe the insurrectionist deniers in this forum should listen to the officer testimony from today. Not planned well enough for ya? Not enough weapons found for ya?

Pro-Trump mob hurled racial slurs at Black officers on Jan. 6, Capitol Police Officer Dunn says (yahoo.com)

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
Maybe the insurrectionist deniers in this forum should listen to the officer testimony from today. Not planned well enough for ya? Not enough weapons found for ya?
They will only listen to the garbage their handlers feed to them. There is no way in hell nobodysmind, pcgeekboy, tajbot, brandonbullshitter and the rest of the willful morons will take the time to listen anything that will come out of the "radical left commy Nancy propaganda shit show"

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Hey @imported_tajmahal , @Greenman and anyone else downplaying/excusing the insurrection. did any of you watch the testimony of the capital police today.

Still sticking to your talking points?

BTW - those of you who voted "No", imagine what day 1 would have been if the likes of Gym Jordan were allowed on the committee.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Hey @imported_tajmahal , @Greenman and anyone else downplaying/excusing the insurrection. did any of you watch the testimony of the capital police today.

Still sticking to your talking points?

BTW - those of you who voted "No", imagine what day 1 would have been if the likes of Gym Jordan were allowed on the committee.
Didn't see it, as I rarely watch television.
To clarify, I never excused the F Troop brigade. My comments on the issue have always been the same, the village idiot could have assembled a better operation and a more qualified team. Nothing was accomplished.
I have no problem with you taking me to task about anything I say here, but please be accurate. I always try to offer that same curtesy in return.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I don’t see the problem here. Pelosi offered to have a bipartisan committee and Mcarthy decided he wanted Dems to be completely in charge.

Thats fine with Pelosi and apparently what the house GOP wanted.
they dont care because it doesnt matter.
Democrats could declare the entire republican party traitors to America.
Their rabid fanbase would just rally behind them and start a fat lazy stupid civil war. The GOP knows they have nothing to fear so they dont fight pointless battles.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
You forgot the "we are in a post truth America, there is no reality than the one you make" option.

Frankly I think Pelosi might have screwed up not letting some if the denier shitrags on the committee and let them hang themselves with their own words.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You forgot the "we are in a post truth America, there is no reality than the one you make" option.

Frankly I think Pelosi might have screwed up not letting some if the denier shitrags on the committee and let them hang themselves with their own words.
It wouldn't happen. They're too smart for that.

I dont know if I've made this point yet but you guys and the rest of America need to wake up to something: Republicans are NOT stupid. They are evil and brilliant and phenomenally good at politicking. Thats why everything sucks right now. Theres no need to fix societies problems if you can just manipulate society into thinking everything is fine, or that theres an "enemy" and they are to blame for whatever is wrong. They've been doing it consistently since Joe McCarthy and it works because they know the human animal is fearful and lazy. The reason they all keep getting reelected is they know how to bullshit millions of people effectively. Donald Trump was ridiculously close to winning even though all he did was golf and fuck over the bottom 99 percent. We have to stop saying "they're stupid and useless". They are doing exactly what they were meant to do and they do it extremely well.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Didn't see it, as I rarely watch television.
To clarify, I never excused the F Troop brigade. My comments on the issue have always been the same, the village idiot could have assembled a better operation and a more qualified team. Nothing was accomplished.
I have no problem with you taking me to task about anything I say here, but please be accurate. I always try to offer that same curtesy in return.
Liar. You downplayed it by inferring because of poor planning it wasn't really an insurrection.
Weather you're building something, tearing it down, or simply stopping it, there has to be a plan. The rule is simple: Plan your work, and work your plan. This is quite literally "getting something done 101". Using the rabble as a diversion would have been a good start to the operation, but there was no operation. They started, got confused, then decided to play with their phones.

If you bothered to watch the officers testimony F-Troop would have killed or kidnapped any Dems they encountered. BTW - the officers confirmed this assertion. Their testimony can be found on that thing called the internet. If you think it's worth your time to watch as a concerned citizen.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

The first time the peaceful transfer of power in the US was interrupted by an invasion of the Capitol, really anything that I can think of at all, and the only time the traitorous Confederate flag desecrated the halls of the Capitol, a feat not even achieved during the Civil War. The other accomplishment was to throw the cognitive dissonance of tens of millions of Trumpies, which was already off, even further off to the point they think Jan 6th was a hoax and setup. As if tens of millions of fucking rubes being even more nuts than the most amazing level of nuts they were before is a good thing for this country.

Apparently the only accomplishment to you would have been an actual overthrow of the government.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Sounds like what you are saying is we have a select committee because Republicans turned downed the bi-partisan power sharing independent version and NOTHING could have persuaded them to approve it. That resulted in the select committee we have now.

Under those circumstances how could it not be legitimate? The only other alternative is to cancel the investigation.

Why is the only other alternative to cancel the investigation? That doesn't make any sense. They could work this out if they would try. They are all being too partisan to do anything right.

I think the investigation into Jan 6 is the proper thing to do and all those that broke laws should be punished as the law dictates.

I said it already. They should have taken the deal as it was instead they turned it down and played right into vindictive Nancy's spider web and now they are stuck. As far as legitimate goes in my opinion it isn't legitimate due to the committee being practically one sided. When the Dems have a select committee where Democrats are the majority and have sole subpoena power.

The Dems should be a majority as they are the ruling party in the house, but the republicans should be represented by their choice of representatives and should also have subpoena powers.

I know it's legal, doesn't mean it is how it should be. If the shoe was on the other foot you guys would feel the same. I'm not upset by it as you want to make it seem. Life goes on and so will I...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi