Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Updated Post
I picked up Resident Evil Revelations in the last Steam sale. I hadn't planned on it and haven't really played any of these games, but I discovered it by accident. The full version's settings all stick correctly and don't have the same issues of the demo.

Resident_Evil.jpg

I thought it was a solid game and generally enjoyed it. Exploring a derelict ship is quite nice. My only gripe was that they repeated the sections a bit too much toward the end of the game.

I watched gameplay videos of 4-6 and they looked boring. Remastered 0 and 1 looked more interesting, but literally half the gameplay consisted of watching animated doors opening. Also I don't really like fixed backgrounds.

I may pick up #7 in the future.

Original Post
I want to buy the game but the demo has issues with retaining settings between program launches.

If anyone has the full version, can you please set mouse sensitivity to 4 and disable mouse acceleration and auto-aim. Then re-launch the game. Do the settings stick?

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I want to buy the game but the demo has issues with retaining settings between program launches.

If anyone has the full version, can you please set mouse sensitivity to 4 and disable mouse acceleration and auto-aim. Then re-launch the game. Do the settings stick?
If you don't get a response, you can always purchase and refund via Steam if it's janky.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
been forever since i've played it but I don't recall such issues. That being said, it's not that great of a game.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
RE2 and RE3 will always be my favorites. I'd say RE2 is probably just a tad bit better than RE3 overall; but I really enjoyed RE3 almost equally in the end. Two very good games.

The first RE game I played was RE2, in fact. I eventually did rent the first one (PS1 version) out of curiosity, and I liked it, but didn't have time to complete it (and I don't think I ever rented it again after the first time; if I did then I honestly just don't remember). And now that I'm thinking about it I never bothered with RE1's remakes (or remasters, or whatever new versions of it exist). I know that the RE1 remake got good overall reviews so maybe one day I'll give it a go. The only 'extra' version of any RE game I bothered to play (rented once) was the N64 version of RE2 (and it was well worth it, very solid version especially considering it was running on the N64). Now, I do remember something in particular concerning RE3. When RE3 came out I remember pre-ordering it for a rent. It was a thing my local gaming store did from time to time (it only happened with specific games, wasn't done very often); you'd pay for the renting price (about $4 or so if I recall correctly) + 'reservation' fee of the rent ahead of time (which was around $5 extra or so; which was all done and payed usually around 2 weeks prior to a new game's release date), so around a total of $9 or $10, and the day he'd receive the games he'd keep a number for direct sales, and a number just for renting. He'd then call you the same day (of course) and you'd just go and pick it up for renting (I did that for RE3, and also for Perfect Dark, and maybe a few other games here and there). Anyway, I actually really liked RE3 as well, even Nemesis I thought was a nice touch for tension. I loved RE2 for almost everything, but (as it is known) the voice acting is one of the worst in the history of video gaming (it is cringe-worthy and uncomfortably bad to extreme levels). However, at the time, RE2 was especially technically pretty impressive (especially that long CGI intro, it was honestly impressive for the much younger me back then). And really liked RE3 for its setting, but only wished for the city to be bigger and the game in general to be lengthier (it was also a bit more action-oriented than RE2).

However, after RE3 I simply lost interest for the RE franchise. I didn't magically start to "hate" it or anything... I just moved to other games at the time I suppose. And because of that I never played RE4 to RE7, literally none of them, since RE3. I've seen a good bunch of Streams, and playthroughs on YouTube of some of those games, especially RE4 and RE7. I watched a bit of gameplay of the others (RE5, RE6, some of the remakes too, and the various versions of RE2 like the N64 and the GameCube, and some 'modded' / emulated ones) but none of that ever actually made me "excited" or interested again in playing the follow ups in the franchise. The reality is that I generally dislike "horror" oriented / themed games. I usually find them cringe-worthy, or I just can't get into them. The atmosphere of "horror" games, in my opinion, is in general way too "try hard", or too predictable; with very typical horror "mechanics" like flickering lights in an otherwise dark corridor (and you KNOW there's a trigger somewhere nearby that's going to provoke a 'jump scare', a sudden sound to pop-up from seemingly nowhere, or the moment you turn a door knob or turn on a room's light something is going to grab you from behind or... things like that; just plain predictable and boring; for me anyway). I'm not sure why or where this perception comes from (been wondering about that myself for years). I THINK that it may have something to do with having played the first two DOOM games (religiously so) starting from a pretty young age (and for years to follow). The thing is DOOM is a classic example (on a technical level) of 'triggers' (of course usually invisible to the eye for the player) that then activate 'spawns' in a room (you know, the classic "step on" specific floor tiles, or activate a 'switch' on a wall, and a portion of another wall opens in the vicinity, and demons attack, etc). My 'hypothesis' is that I became so much used to those "mechanics" over the years (I actually got to know maybe 90% of all Ultimate and DOOM 2's triggers by heart at some point) that whenever I play ANY types of games that remotely even just try to be somewhat "scary" I not only expect them to have such 'triggers' that will spawn a monster or generate a sound or open up a door or something... but I can even sometimes just plain predict them just by mere "gut feeling". I mean, DOOM 3 is definitely one such example (at that point in time I genuinely thought that it might "surprise" me... if only I knew how wrong I was ahead of time... oh boy). That one tried oh so very hard to be 'scary', it apparently worked for some (I'd suppose mostly the newcomers to the franchise at the time; then sure I could understand) but for me that's another great example of complete failure in that regard... but I'm starting to digress here.

So with the sole exceptions of a very few select games here and there that are "horror" themed (or at least made with heavy "suspense" in mind) I normally just avoid them. And RE2, RE3, along with the first and second Silent Hill games (especially the sequel) are among the very rare such games that I actually enjoyed.

With this said, I of course watched everything I could of the E3 footage and gameplay of Resident Evil 2 Remake, and I have to be honest here; that one is going to be a Day One purchase, no questions asked. And I'll play the crap out of that game. My perception of it is that RE2 Remake really is a once-in-a-life-time exception. Very few developers out there would go through the trouble (time, costs and technical challenges) to COMPLETELY and genuinely remake (literally) a game from scratch (and with such a giant gap in years and generations of hardware and gaming trends and standards to go along with all this) while keeping it authentic enough to the original version. I'll go as far as to say that RE2 Remake has the potential to be the absolute best video game remake of all time (and I'm not talking about "Remasters" with updated sounds, textures and sometimes polygonal count on models here, I'm talking about remakes). The only contender for such a title that I can think of would be for FF7's Remake (but we haven't seen much of that one in about three years by now). I also perceive RE2 Remake as the highest form of video gaming art 'preservation'. There's the obvious efforts in many ways (beyond just mere emulation, for example) to keep the original code (and version) of the game going through the years and generations. But ALSO making a genuine remake of the game while trying their best to keep it as close and authentic as the very game they're remaking, whilst also applying 'modernity' and current standards to it... now THAT is serious dedication for a game. That kind of effort HAS to be done for way more than just financial gains. There has to be at least a few of the decision-makers responsible for that project to start with who deeply, genuinely care about RE2 that they went all out on it and gave it a full remake (especially in our day and age of constant "Remasters" popping left and right non-stop, most of which are just rushed out with updated textures and HD resolution support for a quick extra buck down their pipes while a bigger project is being worked on).

Anyway, talking about RE2 and RE3 does bring me back some good memories, long live those two games in whatever versions and iterations they can possibly get in the future.

Last edited:

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Resident Evil 2 remake gameplay:

Looks pretty good, reminds me a lot of Revelations which I liked. Glad they didn't keep the fixed backgrounds and made it third person over-the-shoulder instead.

Last edited:

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Resident Evil 2 remake unlocks in a few hours. Anyone getting it?

I watched the 30 minute demo and it looked good, but the game has cancerous Denuvo so I probably won't be getting it anytime soon.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'll play it at some point but not at full price... too many other AAA titles coming out soon and I can't buy and play them all.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I could never get into RE3. That first time you meet Nemisis and have no idea he can't be killed or turned away, turned me off.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I could never get into RE3. That first time you meet Nemisis and have no idea he can't be killed or turned away, turned me off.
Mr. X is the same in the RE 2 remake. I haven't gotten to him yet but so many posts online hate how he can't be taken down at all and is constantly on your a**. It's very similar to alien isolation and in this remake he shows up in both scenarios and is worse in the second scenario.

Kind of puts me off from playing up until that point because it makes it seem like such a chore.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Mr. X is the same in the RE 2 remake. I haven't gotten to him yet but so many posts online hate how he can't be taken down at all and is constantly on your a**. It's very similar to alien isolation and in this remake he shows up in both scenarios and is worse in the second scenario.

Kind of puts me off from playing up until that point because it makes it seem like such a chore.

cheathappens has a handy trainer.

miss.geek

Jan 30, 2019
Hey, man... This thread's topic really reminded me how old I am...
On the other hand, my children will envy me. I lived when the legend was developed.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010

I probably would've felt the same way... there's genuinely good encounters with invulnerable enemies (Alien Isolation, Dead Space Hunter/Ubermorph) and then there's gimmicky BS that just makes you not want to play (Nemesis). I was too young at the time to get into the original RE games but these remakes are certainly enticing. I will absolutely play this one at some point, perhaps if Metro, Anthem and Division 2 don't hold my interest for long.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Zenoth, I read your post and I think jump scare video games are most effective if they set the atmosphere correctly. It's your willingness to be engulfed into the game that makes the jump scares effective. Yes, there is a few moments in RE2 Remake that make me flinch even after the first playthrough.

As for trends, then Resident Evil 4 and up missed the mark. Resident Evil brand should not had changed. They should had continued to just make it stronger. Somebody at Capcom royally screwed up trying to capture the action-first shooter market.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I've been a fan since RE2 and played every release since then. My favorites were RE2, RE3, and RE5 (yes RE5). 6 was pretty bad and 7 was good but a bit overhyped. RE2M I'll definitely get but will wait for the price to go down since 7 was a bit disappointing.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I got the RE2 Remake along with an RX580 on Newegg. I have loved playing it. I played RE1 on the PS1 way back when I was a kid and loved that game as well. I don't really care for zombies, but the puzzles and the atmosphere in this game are phenomenal. I'm going to finish this up, play as Claire, then the free DLC is coming in Mid-February.

The last time a SP game was this enjoyable to me was when Oblivion launched years ago. Well done Capcom.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I had res1 for the PS1 and hated it. The controls sucked, the saves sucked, it sucked.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I've been a fan since RE2 and played every release since then. My favorites were RE2, RE3, and RE5 (yes RE5). 6 was pretty bad and 7 was good but a bit overhyped. RE2M I'll definitely get but will wait for the price to go down since 7 was a bit disappointing.

RE7 was probably overhyped but I thought it delivered fairly well, especially if you include the DLC. I didn't buy it immediately since it was a shorter game but I do think that it's a quality title.

As for RE2, I want it but will probably wait until after the DLC is released and maybe find a deal. I think it's only a 10-12 hour game, and yes I know it's a quality remake, but there's a bunch of other stuff coming out.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
RE7 was probably overhyped but I thought it delivered fairly well, especially if you include the DLC. I didn't buy it immediately since it was a shorter game but I do think that it's a quality title.

As for RE2, I want it but will probably wait until after the DLC is released and maybe find a deal. I think it's only a 10-12 hour game, and yes I know it's a quality remake, but there's a bunch of other stuff coming out.
At the rate I'm playing it, it will be like. 15-20 he game for me. I just can't play it for long periods of time because it's too tense. There's also the different scenarios A & B for each character.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Well that's actually preferable since I like to take my time and not rush through; I don't think this is the type of game that supports that anyway. Tense is okay so long as it's not too frustrating and just from watching people play the game it seems like it strikes a good balance. Many players are finding ammo to be scarce but I like having to strategically plan ahead and compensate for any surprises along the way--in which it appears that there are many.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well that's actually preferable since I like to take my time and not rush through; I don't think this is the type of game that supports that anyway. Tense is okay so long as it's not too frustrating and just from watching people play the game it seems like it strikes a good balance. Many players are finding ammo to be scarce but I like having to strategically plan ahead and compensate for any surprises along the way--in which it appears that there are many.
Just a tip for when you do play it. Because I had the same mindset as you. Take your time before you get to the area where Mr. X shows up. Do everything you can in the RPD before then or else you will be forced to rush through it because that guy is annoying as all hell since he's always on your tail. I wanted to take my time to explore and stuff so I started it over because I played too fast to that point and then he just makes the game annoying at that point.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea I know what you're talking about. Watching YT gamers play it looked super annoying trying to both avoid the regular mobs and evade the Tyrant at the same time. I usually go for a "semi-completionist" run in these types of games because 1, it's more satisfying to me and 2, it makes for a longer play. I'm usually one to revisit the same rooms and locales a few times just to make sure I fully exhausted my options, to a point anyway I try not to get too caught up.