Poll: Resident Evil is 22 years old

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Your favorite?

Votes: 1 4.5%

Votes: 4 18.2%

Votes: 9 40.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Revelations

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Other

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It's fantastic so far. I finished my Leon A campaign, and about mid-way through my Claire B.

I'll wait before going for Claire A + Leon B. The one thing I want the most in this remake is a Randomizer. If they can make one for randomized items (Ammo, Weapons, Consumables) and enemies placement (and quantities) it's simply going to be a virtually perfect game. To me, this is the type of game we get only once every decade or so. I don't want to burn through it in one shot, so after I'm done with Claire B I'll put the game aside possibly for a couple of months. If they don't make a randomizer, officially that is, then I hope modders will get to it, apparently the game can be modded to some extent so there's hope.

I want it so bad because the best version of RE2 I ever played was the N64 one, and I just couldn't stop playing the game with the randomizer option; making each playthrough different enough to feel like it's a near-new experience, it was amazing.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
It's fantastic so far. I finished my Leon A campaign, and about mid-way through my Claire B.

I'll wait before going for Claire A + Leon B. The one thing I want the most in this remake is a Randomizer.

Agreed 100%. I think a randomizer would be a really neat addition. I also think this is possibly one of the best games I've played in years. I never played the original RE2, but did play the original on the PS1 and loved it at the time. This remake has reminded me that I really do love a good puzzle game. I'm planning on picking up the original Resident Evil remaster as well as some of the Tomb Raider games, since from what I remember they have a similar feel when it comes to the puzzles.

Just a tip for when you do play it. Because I had the same mindset as you. Take your time before you get to the area where Mr. X shows up. Do everything you can in the RPD before then or else you will be forced to rush through it because that guy is annoying as all hell since he's always on your tail. I wanted to take my time to explore and stuff so I started it over because I played too fast to that point and then he just makes the game annoying at that point.

This is a great call, unless you're like me and had no idea when he was supposed to arrive on the scene. He just showed up for me last night and holy goodness, he adds a new level of "excitement" to this game, but definitely makes it harder to just enjoy searching around in the rooms you've cleared out!

I'm usually one to revisit the same rooms and locales a few times just to make sure I fully exhausted my options, to a point anyway I try not to get too caught up.

I'm similar in the way I play games like this. I'll spend time in rooms with the whiteboards trying to read them for "clues" that end up not even being there. Haha.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I also made the mistake of watching more YouTube playthroughs of this game before I got to certain areas so now it's not as tense. I just wanted to see how people were playing it and doing certain tasks because I know I would miss out on some weapons or upgrades if I didn't know about which order to do them in.

I also feel like there are some enemies right before the Tyrant shows up that should be killed but I don't know if that will screw up your ammo count. If you leave them alive, when you are getting chased by the Tyrant, those lickers will tear you apart the minute you start running.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
There is a statistic on Steam saying 73% of people play as Leon first. I wonder why the Bias. Now I am playing as Claire A first and it feels more appropriate.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
There is a statistic on Steam saying 73% of people play as Leon first. I wonder why the Bias. Now I am playing as Claire A first and it feels more appropriate.

I'm not sure if it's the whole 73% of it (surely not) but a good part of that is because a lot of people playing RE2 Remake have played the original and are aware that - as far as the original goes - the 'canon' way to go about it is to play Leon A first, finish it with Claire B; and then move to Claire A, and finishing it with Leon B. That's because Leon B, ultimately, is supposedly the canon RE2 events (in order, from Claire A to Leon B) and ending.

Now, with this said, just like most people I wasn't completely sure if the Remake had kept the 4 Routes feature intact. It was considered a possibility that, for the Remake, we'd only have two campaigns, and that both of them would have a full ending in it and we'd have to just 'choose' which one we'd prefer. However, from the get go a lot of RE2 veterans (or, well, just people whom played the original in general) decided to 'test' it the way they knew it was done originally by going with Leon first, knowing that if Capcom kept the feature intact it'd mean that they'd then have to go with Claire B, and then following with Claire A right after and then - like the original and once more - finishing their 4th playthrough with Leon B.

In my case, it was literally at the end of Leon A (my first playthrough) that something happened (won't say due to potential spoilers) where I very quickly realized "Holy shit, they MUST have kept the 4 Routes thing, or at least made it so playing Claire next is the way to go". Because in all honestly I myself didn't believe that they bothered with the 4 Routes concept, and that even though the Remake looked and played superbly that 'modern gaming' had its last word on the classic and that the 4 Routes would always and only belong to the original. Well, I'm very glad I was wrong and that Capcom really did stick to the roots of the original by honoring and including the presence of the 4 Routes mechanic in this one as well.

That... or just like a few streamers I've heard say; the majority of people went with Leon first because he's one handsome motherfucker.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Denuvo was just silently removed from Resident Evil 2 remake. Good news!

If there was ever a compromise with customers and DRM this is the way to do it. DRM is useful for the first few weeks/months when publishers see the most sales, however once the game goes on sale, and obviously DRM is cracked, it should be removed.

I've only completely played RE1 remake so far, and just started 2(remake) and have to say this franchise is awesome!

Best combination of puzzles, horror and roguelike mechanics with the inks.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
RE4 huh? Interesting. To be honest I didn't think they'd go with another Remake after RE3. At least not immediately. I'm not sure if they're even planning for RE8 anymore (well I'm sure they are, but now I'm wondering what their priority is). With this said, RE4 is a very unique one in the franchise. I've seen a lot of it from playthroughs and streams in recent years, but I never got it play it. So if they do Remake it then I'll probably buy it to get at least one playthrough myself once.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I didn't the RE3 was the best remake - it was good - but after RE2 it was a bit of a let down. You can tell is was lacking the same passion from the creators and they likely want to start on something new. So an RE4 remake would now hold my skepticism and I also believe "Code Veronica" was a tad weird for me and a huge departure from the RE2 formula that we all loved.