Poll: Nor. Cal. vs. So. Cal.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pixelated

May 15, 2002
Originally posted by: bUnMaNGo
Originally posted by: Pixelated

that being said, there are definitely great things about both the LA area and the Bay Area. I think SoCal has a slight edge having LA, San Diego, and Santa Barbara. Sorry NorCal, but I still love The City.

hrmm... weird... cuz them NorCal folk call San Francisco "The City" hehe

actually, that's what I meant. I meant to say that I still love San Francisco. (I figured the NorCal folks would know that)

Stojakapimp

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Stojakapimp

Well sorry about that then. I've just been in many an argument with Laker's fans and I'm not used to them being as reasonable as you. So next season should be interesting

we talking about Pixelated here? hehe anyways yea... I don't understand how you can stand Sactown though... I visit friends in Davis and that's kinda... interesting to say the least ;) I remember going up to Sactown in the 4th grade though on a school trip, and going gold panning on some river somewhere near the old downtown area or whatever it's called. That was fun :) The view of the capitol building thingy at night is pretty tight though.

but with me, it was never a Lakers/Kings arguement. It was a LA vs Sacto debate. If you ever ask me about the Kings, I'll tell you that they're a great team. Since I'm pretty sure Stojaka will respond to this, Stojaka, I gave you plenty of reasons why LA is better than Sacto and it's not just a better nightlife vs nature as you keep going back to. If you're going to ask again, then I'll refresh you're memory... better nightlife, beaches, beaches with beautiful women, culture, we have nature too, not as damn hot as Sacto, people that are far more liberal and open-minded... shall I go on...

that being said, there are definitely great things about both the LA area and the Bay Area. I think SoCal has a slight edge having LA, San Diego, and Santa Barbara. Sorry NorCal, but I still love The City.

For every positive thing you list off for LA it's possible to list off something else for Sacto. So maybe LA has better nightlife and beaches, but norcal has beaches too, not to mention lake tahoe or plenty of other great hiking/lake spots within a 30 minute drive from my house. Have you ever gone backpacking up in the mountains and camped next to a lake? Then woke up at the buttcrack of dawn to go fishing? That's something that I love and that I just don't think is as great as So cal. And about the heat...sure, it gets hot, but one VERY important thing that nor cal has over so cal is that it snows. That might not be as important to you as it is to me, but I was on a ski team for 3 years and have been skiing for about 8 years. Because I go to UCSD now, I hardly ever get to ski...but life goes on. Although I did go to Bear Mountain once and that is such a sorry excuse for a ski resort. But that's just one little thing. So you know pixelated, every town has their ups and downs and I could sit here arguing with you for hours on end but it's going to get us nowhere. If you want to go back and forth listing positive and negative things about each city, then go on right ahead, but neither of us are going to make any headway

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
"snow is something you visit"
LOL
having lived in socal most of my life and going to school in berkeley for the past 3 years (now back in socal), both have much to offer, and both have their bad points. sf is expensive and sometimes too tightly packed, socal is huge and lacks the warmth and coziness. but they're both great, and i'm happy to live in either place (though i miss all the nature stuff up north, i had just gotten into hiking and man, is it beautiful up there)

<---- abstained from voting, both are great

Pixelated

May 15, 2002

Well sorry about that then. I've just been in many an argument with Laker's fans and I'm not used to them being as reasonable as you. So next season should be interesting

we talking about Pixelated here? hehe anyways yea... I don't understand how you can stand Sactown though... I visit friends in Davis and that's kinda... interesting to say the least ;) I remember going up to Sactown in the 4th grade though on a school trip, and going gold panning on some river somewhere near the old downtown area or whatever it's called. That was fun :) The view of the capitol building thingy at night is pretty tight though.

but with me, it was never a Lakers/Kings arguement. It was a LA vs Sacto debate. If you ever ask me about the Kings, I'll tell you that they're a great team. Since I'm pretty sure Stojaka will respond to this, Stojaka, I gave you plenty of reasons why LA is better than Sacto and it's not just a better nightlife vs nature as you keep going back to. If you're going to ask again, then I'll refresh you're memory... better nightlife, beaches, beaches with beautiful women, culture, we have nature too, not as damn hot as Sacto, people that are far more liberal and open-minded... shall I go on...

For every positive thing you list off for LA it's possible to list off something else for Sacto. So maybe LA has better nightlife and beaches, but norcal has beaches too, not to mention lake tahoe or plenty of other great hiking/lake spots within a 30 minute drive from my house. Have you ever gone backpacking up in the mountains and camped next to a lake? Then woke up at the buttcrack of dawn to go fishing? That's something that I love and that I just don't think is as great as So cal. And about the heat...sure, it gets hot, but one VERY important thing that nor cal has over so cal is that it snows. That might not be as important to you as it is to me, but I was on a ski team for 3 years and have been skiing for about 8 years. Because I go to UCSD now, I hardly ever get to ski...but life goes on. Although I did go to Bear Mountain once and that is such a sorry excuse for a ski resort. But that's just one little thing. So you know pixelated, every town has their ups and downs and I could sit here arguing with you for hours on end but it's going to get us nowhere. If you want to go back and forth listing positive and negative things about each city, then go on right ahead, but neither of us are going to make any headway

I like how you changed everything from being Sacramento-centric to all of NorCal. Nice try, Stoja.

gtsukada

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
i can't believe this poll is still even, i mean everbody knows that so kali is the best

Hamburgerpimp

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
I've lived in both. Santa Cruz and all over the Bay. And here in San Diego. I'd take SoCal any day.