POLL: Mel Gibson Mean Drunk or Hates Jews ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: 13Gigatons
Originally posted by: pulse8
Can everyone spouting off that Jews are largely in control in Hollywood actually post something credible to back up that claim?

It bothers me whenever anyone makes this ignorant claim because I work partly in the industry and I know a lot of people who work very much in the industry and most of them aren't Jewish. There are a fair amount of Jews in Hollywood, but to say that they control the industry is ridiculous.

http://www.eonline.com/Features/Specials/Jews/

Read Ben Steins piece about it.

Are you kidding me? That article is probably 10 years old now.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm sure the REALITY is that the jews don't "RUN" Hollywood, but the PERCEPTION is that they do, because of the large number of jews who work in important positions in the industries there. Not saying it's a good or bad thing, as I really don't care one way or the other, but the average American believes it to be true. Look at television. HUGE numbers of jewish actors, producers and directors, and the same can be said about the movie industry. Whether they "RUN" Hollywood or not, they have enough collective power that this will most likely impact Gibson's career...

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I'm sure the REALITY is that the jews don't "RUN" Hollywood, but the PERCEPTION is that they do, because of the large number of jews who work in important positions in the industries there. Not saying it's a good or bad thing, as I really don't care one way or the other, but the average American believes it to be true. Look at television. HUGE numbers of jewish actors, producers and directors, and the same can be said about the movie industry. Whether they "RUN" Hollywood or not, they have enough collective power that this will most likely impact Gibson's career...
This won't have any impact over Mel's career. He crossed that bridge with Passion.

As far as what happened, I believe alcohol lowers inhibitions, and he made those comments completely unprompted. It would seem more logical when someone is pulled over that way to be mad at the police, or to deny they're drunk, etc. Why he decided to go into that tirade just shows what mostly occupies his thoughts.

That, in and of itself is scary.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

Could you please provide a list of the HUGE number of Jewish television actors, producers and directors and how you know that they are Jewish?

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Mike
im going with drunk with a distaste for Jews....hates a strong word.

Yup, the alcohol just brought to the surface things he normally wouldn't say.

HomeAppraiser

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2005
Drunk Mel Gibson Hates Mean Jews.

Mean Mel Gibson Hates Drunk Jews.

Mel Gibson Hates Mean Drunk Jews.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
He's antisemetic. Why do people have a hard time believing this? Just take the words from his mouth at face value.

That's exactly the problem. Taking a drunk's words at face value is foolish.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005

Could you please provide a list of the HUGE number of Jewish television actors, producers and directors and how you know that they are Jewish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_American_entertainers

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Gibson's Apology
August 2, 2006 -- There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of Anti-Semitic remark. I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge.

I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words.

The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God?s child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.

I?m not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.

I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.

This is not about a film. Nor is it about artistic license. This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have. It?s about existing in harmony in a world that seems to have gone mad.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
Gibson's Apology
August 2, 2006 -- There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of Anti-Semitic remark. I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge.

I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words.

The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God?s child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.

I?m not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.

I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.

This is not about a film. Nor is it about artistic license. This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have. It?s about existing in harmony in a world that seems to have gone mad.

I'd forgive him if I were Jewish. He's humble, apologetic, and wants to make ammends.
I believe he is sincere, but I'm a "give the benefit of the doubt" kinda person most of the time.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: funboy42
Maybe this was one of the Hollywood ways to try to promote a new movie due to come out soon. Im guessing Passion of the Christ 2???
:eek::p

And I would go with he hates Jewish people. When drunk you seem to feel you can say what is directly on your mind and will spit it out uncontrollably. He was drunk and how he feels about jewish people came out and now that he is sober is covering it up. I bet you get him all lit up again and bring a conversation about Jewish people he will unleash again ;)

I hate people with wheelchair icons :D

<--- Drunk right now.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
Originally posted by: funboy42
Maybe this was one of the Hollywood ways to try to promote a new movie due to come out soon. Im guessing Passion of the Christ 2???
:eek::p

And I would go with he hates Jewish people. When drunk you seem to feel you can say what is directly on your mind and will spit it out uncontrollably. He was drunk and how he feels about jewish people came out and now that he is sober is covering it up. I bet you get him all lit up again and bring a conversation about Jewish people he will unleash again ;)

I hate people with wheelchair icons :D

<--- Drunk right now.
aren't we all? :beer:

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Gibson's Apology

I'd forgive him if I were Jewish. He's humble, apologetic, and wants to make ammends.
I believe he is sincere, but I'm a "give the benefit of the doubt" kinda person most of the time.

I agree, assuming this apology is authentic (Drudge is the same man who broke the big story that Hilary Clinton would be Kerry's running mate). I can respect Gibson for making such a candid and clear apology for his statements, rather than running from the spotlight.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Gibson's Apology

That's a pretty dang good apology. Come on, how can you stay mad at Martin Riggs?

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Drunk people say all kinds of stupid things.

How many here know friends who have spouted off while drunk about people or things and then the next day not have a clue about what they said ?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: DonVito
I agree, assuming this apology is authentic (Drudge is the same man who broke the big story that Hilary Clinton would be Kerry's running mate). I can respect Gibson for making such a candid and clear apology for his statements, rather than running from the spotlight.
With stuff that isn't his own reporting, Drudge can be trusted. He's essentially sharing a press release here.

HomeAppraiser

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2005

"Jew, Not a Jew is brought to you by Feldman's Kosher Pickles. You don't have to be Jewish to like Feldman's, but it helps."

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: 13Gigatons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_American_entertainers

Considering how many people work in hollywood, that list is nowhere near huge and isn't just television.