POLL: Mac vs. PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
  • "...this is one of those things."

rolleye.gif
    times ten!

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Jzero
How many people are still using the crappy mouse that came with their PC? I certainly am not. Most PC owners get better mice, too. Wow.

The only place I have ever used a mac is in school labs and guess what the school didn't go thru the expense of relpacing the mice with ones that where not round and had more then one button. They also left the keyboard that was missing 10% of the keys. Some of the mac's had the newer optical one button mouse. All computers should come with a scroll wheel and 2 buttons at least. Also mac laptops don't have a way to add a second mouse button with out carrying around a mouse.

OffTopic1

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004

I would take a Mac if money isn't in the equation, however I can built a workable machine out of cheaper x86 parts ++ Unix/Linux/Windows if money is a constrain.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Spencer278
How many people are still using the crappy mouse that came with their PC? I certainly am not. Most PC owners get better mice, too. Wow.

The only place I have ever used a mac is in school labs and guess what the school didn't go thru the expense of relpacing the mice with ones that where not round and had more then one button. They also left the keyboard that was missing 10% of the keys. Some of the mac's had the newer optical one button mouse. All computers should come with a scroll wheel and 2 buttons at least. Also mac laptops don't have a way to add a second mouse button with out carrying around a mouse.

It's amazing how dependant you people are with your mice. Do you continue to suckle your mother as well? Everything can be done via keyboard on a mac, if you cannot handle that you should probably pull your hand from under the desk and learn.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: GL
For those that claim Macs are for idiots, allow me to list some of the more prominent users of the Mac:

1. Anand Lal Shimpi (AnandTech, duh!)

-- snip --

Now, let's try to call Mac users idiots and not laugh at the utter stupidity of that assertion given this list.
Heheh. :p You should quote The Boss directly:

The G5 will most likely remain my AT-Work machine.

Sep 18, 2003
I would shoot myself if i ever willing owned a mac, and i dislike using them, but that said they absolutly BLOW pc's away when it comes to graphic/multimedia design we have a large suite of G5's at work and a few tryd to use very fast pc's but the differance between the two is clear to see.

as for personal use you need a labotmy if you buy a mac for home. they dont really do anythign but graphic work little or no games.... get a pc man.

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: OrangeJellyDisk
I would shoot myself if i ever willing owned a mac, and i dislike using them, but that said they absolutly BLOW pc's away when it comes to graphic/multimedia design we have a large suite of G5's at work and a few tryd to use very fast pc's but the differance between the two is clear to see.

as for personal use you need a labotmy if you buy a mac for home. they dont really do anythign but graphic work little or no games.... get a pc man.

You are so right. My parents, who are hardcore gamers, would never dream of owning anything but the latest and greatest PC.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: Spencer278

It's amazing how dependant you people are with your mice. Do you continue to suckle your mother as well? Everything can be done via keyboard on a mac, if you cannot handle that you should probably pull your hand from under the desk and learn.

I could never remember if you used the messed up square key or the apple key in keyboard combos. Also the mac keyboard where missing the home, end, page up/down keys.

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
as much as i loved using the 17" Powerbook at school and the current 12" Powerbook i have....

i love my PC. :)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
if mother or some non tech person needs a comp, i'll point em ot a mac. i don't need the hassle of building their pc and being free tech support. macs are decently built, reasonably cool/quiet, get the job done.

people on this forum are geeks/gamers. totally different from general population. its true the mac sucks for gaming, but really, spending 1.5-3k on a gaming machine is a tad extravagant if you really think about it. not everyone games. but for those who do, learning to build a pc is the price of entry for most. and for some dorks, computer choice is a freakin religion. religion of necessity for most since they couldn't afford to buy both to begin with:p

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: blazert40
Mac's are for people that want to feel smart but really don't know sh!t when it comes to computers. Then again if your completly clueless to using a computer then a Mac may be for you.

Go tell that to Anand himself, you ignorant fool.

OffTopic1

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
if mother or some non tech person needs a comp, i'll point em ot a mac. i don't need the hassle of building their pc and being free tech support. macs are decently built, reasonably cool/quiet, get the job done.

people on this forum are geeks/gamers. totally different from general population. its true the mac sucks for gaming, but really, spending 1.5-3k on a gaming machine is a tad extravagant if you really think about it. not everyone games. but for those who do, learning to build a pc is the price of entry for most. and for some dorks, computer choice is a freakin religion. religion of necessity for most since they couldn't afford to buy both to begin with:p
Why point non tech or mothers to a Mac, when they aren't power users that need web/mail box? Wouldn't it be better for them if they purchase a Walmart Linux special for $199.00 that don?t have popups/spyware/virus that hound PCs?