POLL: Mac vs. PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
The best part about this thread is that every person who is bashing macs would gladly spend $1500.00 to play the latest Battlefield: Uzibekistan at 1600 x1200. There is more than video games out there.
rolleye.gif

Beattie

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Mak0602
If you have $4000 to BUY (not build) a computer right now, would it be a mac or a pc?

i personally would go for a mac but it lacks the compability of most popular games (i.e. CS, ut2k4)

I thought they were doing UT2k4 for mac around the same as the pc release. Maybe I am mistaken.

Aug 16, 2001
Why by a BMW when a Yugo does the same job. Taking you from point A to point B.

People spend $4000 on a G5 because they can affors it and want to. Is that so hard to understand?

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: amcdonald
I'll assume that you Mac haters don't run a recording studio.

Obviously PC's are ideal for gaming, but Macs are extremely well designed for specific audio/visual tasks.

And they look awesome.

I know a good amount of musicians/producers/ film editors/ graphic design people/etc. etc. etc.. They all use macs... Trust me, if you are SERIOUS about your work then get a mac and remember to get the apple care warranty.. I had a long talk with someone about this - imagine you build yourself a PC rig and you're working on a project- your computer is toast and what are you going to do? Not only is your project trashed but your $2,000 investment is gone... If you have a mac and apple care plan you can call a tech at 4 in the morning and quickly figure out what's wrong and get a replacement if need be... I have a PC and a Mac - I'm not biased.. In fact, i use my pc 99% of the time.. But I understand why people get macs - no security flaws, less crash prone, industry leading support (if you pay extra, of course), and hardware that you know works together... I had a pc editing rig and spent around 4 weeks trying to get my Matrox RT2000 real time MPEG2/dv gear running - I had to reinstall windows 2k around 20 times and had to buy another sound card to get the damn thing to work (my soundblaster live was causing a conflict)... That's FOUR WEEKS of time wasted....

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Ornery
Originally posted by: ThePresence
G5. But I'm already using one! I don't need two...
I have a nice PC too, so maybe I'll just save the money! :Q

It's kinda funny, but most Mac haters never actually tried using one.

"I can't think of anything special they can do. I just like them. More elegant processor architecture. Very stable BSD-based operating system. Very intuitive GUI."

More elegant processor architecture? Yeah, I'll cough up more money for that.
rolleye.gif

Maybe nobody has tried them, because there's really no point, is there?

Again, why the $4,000.00 purchase price, instead of half that amount or less?
Why? Because I'm a graphic Designer. Do you think my company would spend thousands more buying our team G5's if PC's can do a better job? Or even a comparable job?
I've done design on PC's and Mac's. Mac's rock.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ThePresence
G5. But I'm already using one! I don't need two...
I have a nice PC too, so maybe I'll just save the money! :Q

It's kinda funny, but most Mac haters never actually tried using one.

"I can't think of anything special they can do. I just like them. More elegant processor architecture. Very stable BSD-based operating system. Very intuitive GUI."

More elegant processor architecture? Yeah, I'll cough up more money for that.
rolleye.gif
That's your only rebuttal? What about the superior OS/GUI? I guess you won't comment on that because it doesn't support your "argument?"

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That's subjective, the actual cost, and CPU power isn't. I'm NOT rebutting anything. I want to know why, any good reason at all, our school system wasted so GD much money on these turds?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
A PC, a laptop, a WLAN and maybe another PC for good measure (probably HTCP) for the $4000, rather than 1 Mac.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
That's subjective, the actual cost, and CPU power isn't. I'm NOT rebutting anything. I want to know why, any good reason at all, our school system wasted so GD much money on these turds?

There is no good reason. They got suckered by Mac's marketing. Macs were failing miserably in the home market, so they tried to penetrate schools. Get 'em started using Macs while they are young and they will continue using them when they are older. So they offered "sweet" deals to schools to buy Macs.

Except everyone had a PC at home, so the kids still didn't want to use the Macs.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
A PC provides a better all around use for me. If I had 400 million dollars, I wouldn't buy a Mac; it's not a question of cost, it's a question of best compatibility. And yes, I've used Macs which is why I would never buy one.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I hope they're happy. We are now in state receivership, over 12 million in the hole, with no hope of upgrading what they have for a LONG time. A bunch of these Macs in the high school, have external drives tied to them with nylon tie wraps. Imagine how much cheaper it would have been to use internal drives, in a proper case. :disgust:

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
How many people are still using the crappy mouse that came with their PC? I certainly am not. Most PC owners get better mice, too. Wow.

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
The remarks made on ATOT regarding Apple computers are almost as funny as the ones made about religion!
rolleye.gif

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
If you have $4000 to BUY (not build) a computer right now, would it be a mac or a pc?

i personally would go for a mac but it lacks the compability of most popular games (i.e. CS, ut2k4)

not build?

i don't know about you, but i would build a quad opteron system with 4k :D

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: blazert40
Mac's are for people that want to feel smart but really don't know sh!t when it comes to computers. Then again if your completly clueless to using a computer then a Mac may be for you.

that maybe, but i've heard that for designers, macs dominate pc.

the people that say that are stuck in the 80's. the pc is by far the most powerful computer for anything, hands down.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
How many people are still using the crappy mouse that came with their PC? I certainly am not. Most PC owners get better mice, too. Wow.

My pc didn't come with a mouse. :confused:

I have yet to use a mac system that I would even beging to compare to a pc. Our school just set up two design labs with G5 workstations, compared to my dual 1.4 rig at home, they can't touch it. I fail to see this glorious OS/UI you speak of, I havent seen a mac that isn't laggy and slow compared to a XP Pro pc.

I will have to agree with notfred though, half the people that rip on macs have never used them, or have used an Apple 2GS and made up their mind there. I personally suffer daily, for some reason or another my school, along with many others, believes that macs are the best for graphics, always have been and forever will be.

Personally, if it wasen't for the design industry being brainwashed, there wouldn't be much left of Apple.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: stev0
Originally posted by: Jzero

My pc didn't come with a mouse. :confused:
Then you illustrate exactly why the oft-used comments about one-button mice are pointless - PC users buy the mice they want. Why should Mac users not?

I fail to see this glorious OS/UI you speak of, I havent seen a mac that isn't laggy and slow compared to a XP Pro pc.

"Laggy and slow" is an awfully subjective term. If you think it's somehow laggy and slow compared to XP I guess that's your perception, but both XP and OS X both seem to operate as I would expect them to. Believe me when I say that if they built OS X for x86, I'd dump Windows in a heartbeat.

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I suppose the old adage applies here. For those who have used a modern Mac, no explanation is required for why they use and prefer Macs. For those that have not used a modern Mac, no explanation will suffice for why they should use Macs. Some things in life cannot be figured out a priori, and this is one of those things.

For those that claim Macs are for idiots, allow me to list some of the more prominent users of the Mac:

1. Anand Lal Shimpi (AnandTech, duh!)
2. Tim O'Reilly (founder of O'Reilly & Associates - publishers of technology-related books)
3. Bill Joy (co-creator of BSD, co-founder of Sun)
4. Bob Metcalfe (creator of Ethernet, researcher at Xerox PARC, founder of 3com)
5. Vint Cerf (creator of TCP/IP)
6. Bill Lowe (former head of IBM PC Development Team)
7. Michael Deztrous (head of the MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab)
8. Numerous members of the NASA Mars Probe team
9. James Gosling (VP of Sun, creator of Java)
10. Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of the C++ language)

Now, let's try to call Mac users idiots and not laugh at the utter stupidity of that assertion given this list.

JYDog

Feb 17, 2003
Its interesting though, an equivalent PC that would level with a dual G4 or say a 15" PowerBook, the prices are about near even on both sides. For example, a dual Opteron runs about the same as a dual G4 or a ThinkPad with the PowerBooks. If you're very focused in the tasks you demand of your computer, Apples just seems to offer more(design and return on investment).