POLL: Mac vs. PC

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
If you have $4000 to BUY (not build) a computer right now, would it be a mac or a pc?

i personally would go for a mac but it lacks the compability of most popular games (i.e. CS, ut2k4)

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Mac's are for people that want to feel smart but really don't know sh!t when it comes to computers. Then again if your completly clueless to using a computer then a Mac may be for you.

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: blazert40
Mac's are for people that want to feel smart but really don't know sh!t when it comes to computers. Then again if your completly clueless to using a computer then a Mac may be for you.

that maybe, but i've heard that for designers, macs dominate pc.

GrimReepr

Jun 12, 2000
yeah this poll is biased, i mean 99% of people on here are prolly pc junkies.

i am a pc fan, macs are annoying

i forget the one video i saw on the net the one time, the guy is like yeah macs rule you can play cool games like wc3 and..... wc3!!!

lol

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Mak0602

that maybe, but i've heard that for designers, macs dominate pc.

That may have been true at one point but now days and PC can do anything a Mac can "claim" to do and much much more.

I'm a Mac hatter to the bone, just laugh at people who I see buying them at the mall.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Linux is for people scared of losing their job to someone who can just check boxes ;)

<---- runs away with firehoze over shoulder ;)

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
people who buy macs know nothing about computing, generally IMO. they just have loads of money to spend and want something that looks good. and they think that by having a mac they'll have absolutely no problems with their computers.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"that maybe, but i've heard that for designers, macs dominate pc."

What EXACTLY can a Mac do, that a PC can't? I REALLY want to know, because our school system, which is DEEP in the red, wasted a TON of money buying Macs over the years. Is there any sane reason at all, why they would do this?

Oh, and why $4,000.00? Why not $2,000.00, or $1,000.00?

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Ornery

What EXACTLY can a Mac do, that a PC can't? I REALLY want to know, because our school system, which is DEEP in the red, wasted a TON of money buying Macs over the years. Is there any sane reason at all, why they would do this?

Oh, and why $4,000.00? Why not $2,000.00, or $1,000.00?

as i mentioend in my post, mac users have no value for money and will glady spit out 4000 bucks on a machine that does the same thing a $900 pc would do.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery

I can't think of anything special they can do. I just like them. More elegant processor architecture. Very stable BSD-based operating system. Very intuitive GUI.

Has nothing to with "not knowing anything about computers." I work in network security. I know plenty of PC-owners that know jack about computers. I, with a degree in computer science and 4 years of experience in my field, know plenty.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Mak0602
If you have $4000 to BUY (not build) a computer right now, would it be a mac or a pc?

i personally would go for a mac but it lacks the compability of most popular games (i.e. CS, ut2k4)

For $4,000 I'd go with a Mac- for graphic design/music/ and film editing the mac is really the way to go.. Sure, you can do everything that you do with a mac on a pc... but a dual G5 is money well spent if you're serious about your career (some apps are mac-only, such as Final Cut Pro)... Why not do this? Spend <$2,000 on a PC gaming rig and the rest on a powerbook?

sparkyclarky

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
busting out the Mac haters as usual

I have 3 PCs already, thus, if given that ammount of money I'd get a dually G5, or perhaps a powerbook and a cinema display

OSX is quite nice, and Apple still has one ace in the hole with Macs that PC can't touch yet - Final Cut Pro

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
G5. But I'm already using one! I don't need two...
I have a nice PC too, so maybe I'll just save the money! :Q

It's kinda funny, but most Mac haters never actually tried using one.

Aug 16, 2001
What is the point of this? People hate Macs, why? People prefer computer XX over YY, why?
Well it must be taste then.

These polls are just dumb.

If a Mac gets the job done.... fine.
If a PC gets the job done.... fine.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I'll assume that you Mac haters don't run a recording studio.

Obviously PC's are ideal for gaming, but Macs are extremely well designed for specific audio/visual tasks.

And they look awesome.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
It's funny watching the 15 year old 'l33t' overclockers who barely pull down $4000/year at their jobs at Starbucks and McDonalds ragging on machines they can't afford and they've never even tried to learn to operate.

"Wah, stick shifts suck, they're for people who think they're too cool to drive an automatic, which is, according to Car and Driver magazine, the far superior transmission... of course I'd tell you based on my own personal experience but I don't even have a driver's license" <-- that's what some of you sound like.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000

rolleye.gif
x 1,000,000

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ThePresence
G5. But I'm already using one! I don't need two...
I have a nice PC too, so maybe I'll just save the money! :Q

It's kinda funny, but most Mac haters never actually tried using one.

"I can't think of anything special they can do. I just like them. More elegant processor architecture. Very stable BSD-based operating system. Very intuitive GUI."

More elegant processor architecture? Yeah, I'll cough up more money for that.
rolleye.gif

Maybe nobody has tried them, because there's really no point, is there?

Again, why the $4,000.00 purchase price, instead of half that amount or less?