Poll: Let these sites guess your location based on IP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phisrow

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2004
IP2Location thinks that I'm in Texas. MaxMind at least correctly placed me in Chicago.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
ip2location was off by about 50 miles & said I was in New York State ... Maxmind got me at my exact location (& isp) in Connecticut.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
they're both right,

but the second one is in my host-black-list !

Consider that there might be some people with those anti-spammer/virus hostfiles etc. and they cant get to the second link !

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
Umm I think both are wrong? I'm in Berkeley which is East Bay but both said San Francisco.

Buckrgs

Oct 1, 2000
The first one was right but the answer was extremely general (it only said the US). MaxMind told me where I am and what ISP I'm using. It also gave latitude and longitude but the lat and long it gave is Seahawks Stadium which I definitely don't live at.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
well they were both in the correct country but neither was really accurate. the first put me in jerusalem and the second in Ramat Gan which is a part of tel aviv. i live near Haifa. but atleast it gave the correct country. it's because my ISP is based in Tel Aviv i think.

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
maxmind had me closer by 2 miles, but even that was off by ~16 miles. i'd still say they're both pretty good in my instance

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: calbear2000
Wanted to do a quick poll to see which IP address lookup is more accurate in your case. Both of these links look at your IP address to estimate your city, state:

http://www.ip2location.com/

versus

http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_my_ip

This takes all of 10 seconds... Thanks for your help! We're trying to decide which license to buy. If either are off, can you indicate by how much approximately?

both were wrong..lol

avi85

Apr 24, 2006
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
well they were both in the correct country but neither was really accurate. the first put me in jerusalem and the second in Ramat Gan which is a part of tel aviv. i live near Haifa. but atleast it gave the correct country. it's because my ISP is based in Tel Aviv i think.

The first one put me in eilat (very far away from me) and the second one just said israel without a city (I live near Jerusalem)

L00ker

Jun 27, 2006
Ok that last post was me, seriously WTF is going on with the forums today? looks like some kind of malformed cookie hack? lol hrmmm Doug777?