Poll: Inauguration attendance will Trump lie?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will Trump lie about inauguration attandance?

• Yes

Votes: 79 94.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
Feb 4, 2009
Basically the press has three options when it comes to Trumps bullshit fabrications, none of them good.

1) Just report the statements Trump makes, in which case his fabrications will be taken as true

2) Report his fabrications but include statements indicating that others believe them to be false, in which case it makes settled issues seem to be controversial.

3) Indicate that his statements are just plain wrong and risk being pilloried as being biased against Trump, and so not to be trusted.

Fact checking Trump in real time would be seen as "war" by Donald. Not being "at war" with Trump would be letting him lie at will, and be a sign of weakness that he would only exploit. This has been going on over the last year.

As of now, the press as a whole has behaved with ratings and access in mind and not journalistic integrity. If you use the recent press charade/conference as an example, you have seen the future.

Journalists stepping over the corpses of their comrades in the hope that THEIR network gets to ask the question that the Baffoon-in-Chief answers. You can't piss the guy off or he might not ever call on you again. Maybe ban you from the room.

The press should demand actual answers to actual questions. If he refuses to answer a valid question from one reporter the next should ask the same question. If he flat out lies or contradicts himself, which he seems to do on a daily basis, he should be called out on it. If its about gowns for bestest inauguration ball ever. But if its about any of the thousand important issues, his feet need to be held to the fire, if not in it. I have little hope that the mainstream media does this until there exists overwhelming and undeniable evidence that he or his administration have screwed up bigly. Then they'll all jump on the bandwagon and say what a good job they did.

I'll take option #3

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'll take option #3

Part of the reason his BS goes as far as it does is because the Press just reported "the candidate said this". He got the free publicity and just machine-gunned such a constant long string of lies, he never ever had to address what he said because it was 2 or 3 lies ago.

If he wants to blow smoke in a sound bite? Report it... but do more than just the two-day turn around follow up fact check. Report right in the story with the quote when its an unsubstantiated statement.

When he finally sees that he can't just bully and bellow at the reporters at press conferences like they are under-performing salesmen selling Trump steaks and vodka, then he'll be forced to (Finally) step up his game and clearly show the people in this country exactly what he's trying to say in steering this ship. He won't be able to move on to the next lie as he's still caught on-the-spot in the first one.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Kelly-Anne on Meet the Press about 10 minutes ago....holy effing shit.

Cliffs: "Alternative Facts" is now a thing, people.

This isn't normal.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

This isn't normal.

Yeah, this is what happens when you elect someone that admires Putin. Scary shit, but hey, at least we did elect someone that hid some e-mails.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
New York Times are not pulling any punches, from day 1:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/...e-house-briefing-inauguration-crowd-size.html

Now, this is how they should have been reporting his bullshit during the GOP primary season

Honestly I don't think it would have made a difference. Way to many of those who voted for this clown would have just accepted and did accept the argument the mainstream media was biased against him so they should just be ignored.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

This isn't normal.

Lol, Propaganda Barbie: pull her string and hear some "Alternative Facts"

Trump's going to need a better press secretary. Spicer doesn't seem to have what it takes to look straight into the cameras and lie. Maybe he'll get better with practice.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So the tv numbers are in and he had 30+ million viewers watching. Certainly not record breaking but it was more than Obama's second inauguration.

Of course the liar in chief couldn't handle it so he had goebbels Jr do some spinning.

Lol!! I look forward to the cult followers doing their own spin.
Obamas 1st was 38 million so they lose there also

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Sorry about that Homer looks like we posted at the same time, me a little slower :p

Crowd Scientists Say Women’s March in Washington Had 3 Times as Many People as Trump’s Inauguration

Link

The women’s march in Washington was roughly three times the size of the audience at President Trump’s inauguration, crowd counting experts said Saturday.

Marcel Altenburg and Keith Still, crowd scientists at Manchester Metropolitan University in Britain, analyzed photographs and video taken of the National Mall and vicinity and estimated that there were about 160,000 people in those areas in the hour leading up to Mr. Trump’s speech Friday.

They estimated that at least 470,000 people were at the women’s march in Washington in the areas on and near the mall at about 2 p.m. Saturday.

DC_pano.jpg

Independence Avenue at peak crowd density. Composite image by Joe Ward based on video from Urdu Voice of America

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Obamas 1st was 38 million so they lose there also

He specifically said "second". We know the first and second were different. Would be nice to have an accurate survey though. I've heard 250 to 570K. That's a big variance.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

This isn't normal.

I think I kinda predicated that in another thread, but she shows up and spins all the time.

Wasn't a real stretch on that one.

Is her job, more or less, Palin 2.0

She is smarter than Palin though.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I think I kinda predicated that in another thread, but she shows up and spins all the time.

Wasn't a real stretch on that one.

Is her job, more or less, Palin 2.0

She is smarter than Palin though.

She picked the job so this is on her but how does one represent Trump, besides not doing it at all? I couldn't do it.

Reactions: MongGrel

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
She picked the job so this is on her but how does one represent Trump, besides not doing it at all? I couldn't do it.

I honestly wonder how people like Conway and Spicer live with themselves. Sure, they're probably being paid well, but they're being asked to stare obvious truths in the face and still tell lies. Even if they don't have crises of conscience, aren't they worried that they'll be considered personas non grata if and when the Trump administration ends in disaster? Selling people snake oil is a Washington staple; failing to sell that snake oil is the kiss of death.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I honestly wonder how people like Conway and Spicer live with themselves. Sure, they're probably being paid well, but they're being asked to stare obvious truths in the face and still tell lies. Even if they don't have crises of conscience, aren't they worried that they'll be considered personas non grata if and when the Trump administration ends in disaster? Selling people snake oil is a Washington staple; failing to sell that snake oil is the kiss of death.

It's common practise.

quote-not-only-strike-while-the-iron-is-hot-but-make-it-hot-by-striking-oliver-cromwell-44443.jpg

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I wonder as much about the people willing to buy the snake oil. Most of us saw this train wreck coming. Are his voters stupid or just that angry.

Reactions: MongGrel

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
You can always tell when Conway's lying/spinning, she gets that grin/smirk on her face. She'd suck at poker.