*poll* I got written up for sexual harrasment! Whohoo!

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
This sexual harrasment stuff in today's world is such crap. If anyone was not aware, women run the world, and this proves it.

Here is what happened. Someone in my row said that the IT department of the company I work for sucks. I made the comment that if you get a certain person on the phone (lets callt his person "Cindy") to just hang up because she has no clue. Someone else in the row asked me how she got her job, and I replied "It probably had to do with Cindy wearing kneepads".

One of the women in the row took exception to that, and told the HR guy, and I was wirtten up for it. This woman is not in any way related to IT or Cindy.

What I don't get is this same women made a comment VERY close to this about her very own manager "taking it up the wazoo" to keep his job. I should also say that this woman once became deathly afraid of the number 5, and freaked out whenever she saw it for a few days because the number 5 was "kinda pointy and round"

Then I get told that I am not allowed to retaliate in any way against the person who got me written up (like I would. I could care less, and doing something like that is not worth my time) and to "just act like it never happened". How the hell do you act like it never happened? Am I allowed to say that the dress she is wearing looks nice? (I am a very easy going person at work, and try to make everyone's day a little better)

I decided I am just not going to say anythign to this person, ever. If she asks me questions, I am just going to say that I do not want to talk to her because I don't want anything I say to come across wrong.

Cliff Notes: I got written up because I have a penis.

That sucks - this coworker of yours sounds like a complete moron. Afraid of the number 5?
rolleye.gif

mflacy

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
If you are stupid enough to make a comment like that in today's work enviroment, you deserve to get written up.

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
That sucks - this coworker of yours sounds like a complete moron. Afraid of the number 5?
rolleye.gif
I can see if it was somehow related to something that happened when she was 5, or 5 had some special sugnificance to something that happened in her life, but it was because of the shape of the number. Come on.

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
That chick is an idiot.
rolleye.gif

Ever notice how the number 5 looks like a person on their knees?? :Q

: ) Amanda

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
I was sexually harrassed by some dude...and all he got a little slap on the wrist...and the "option" of resigning..or be fired. Of course, he took the "resigning" option.

Yea...they didn't do sh!t about it. he could be doing what he did to me to some other poor unsuspecting girl in some other work place. Bleh..

Francesca

Jan 29, 2003
That royally bites. As a woman it ticks me off that other women take all the fun out of work. I couldn't stand to walk on eggshells constantly. And were you even talking to her or did she just overhear it? She should have told you that the comment made her uncomfortable. If you had been a jerk about it then I can see her reporting it. I'm so sick of people taking offense to everything. And it's not just across gender lines. It's across any line you can possibly think of. Even the singles vs. the married. I'd rather be jobless than deal with some of the morons in today's pitiful weak work environment.

Originally posted by: nativesunshine
I was sexually harrassed by some dude...and all he got a little slap on the wrist...and the "option" of resigning..or be fired. Of course, he took the "resigning" option.

Yea...they didn't do sh!t about it. he could be doing what he did to me to some other poor unsuspecting girl in some other work place. Bleh..
Uh, what else do you expect your HR people to do except ... fire the guy? Seems like you think you're pretty hot to trot here. If you want to sue him, go ahead - but don't expect your workplace to prosecute the guy on YOUR behalf.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Let me get this straight. You compliment this "Cindy" chick for being a safety conscious person and wearing kneepads, and you get written up for sexual harrasment?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: mflacy
If you are stupid enough to make a comment like that in today's work enviroment, you deserve to get written up.

For real dude, I mean the rules are bogus, but if you made a comment like that AT work bro... If you wanna smoke and joke do it at the bar, there are too many fruitcakes in this world to do it somehwere where they can hurt you for it.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Let me get this straight. You compliment this "Cindy" chick for being a safety conscious person and wearing kneepads, and you get written up for sexual harrasment?

omg lmao.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr

Uh, what else do you expect your HR people to do except ... fire the guy? Seems like you think you're pretty hot to trot here. If you want to sue him, go ahead - but don't expect your workplace to prosecute the guy on YOUR behalf.

Agreed. Get over yourself.

Originally posted by: ohtwell
That chick is an idiot.
rolleye.gif

Ever notice how the number 5 looks like a person on their knees?? :Q
: ) Amanda

No. :Q Now I do, though.

Originally posted by: DaiShan

For real dude, I mean the rules are bogus, but if you made a comment like that AT work bro... If you wanna smoke and joke do it at the bar, there are too many fruitcakes in this world to do it somehwere where they can hurt you for it.

Sums up most of my thoughts on evadman's incident.

Originally posted by: Francesca
That royally bites. As a woman it ticks me off that other women take all the fun out of work. I couldn't stand to walk on eggshells constantly. And were you even talking to her or did she just overhear it? She should have told you that the comment made her uncomfortable. If you had been a jerk about it then I can see her reporting it. I'm so sick of people taking offense to everything. And it's not just across gender lines. It's across any line you can possibly think of. Even the singles vs. the married. I'd rather be jobless than deal with some of the morons in today's pitiful weak work environment.

Also agreed. I have a woman on my staff like that - quick to take offense but a complete b!tch otherwise.

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool

I could have easily said that it was because Cindy bowed to her boss, but one thing I don't do is lie. I did however mention the fact that it could have meant any number of things and the person who complained could have easily seen it in a different light than what was intended.

Hell, I did not even say it to her. It was a conversation between myself and 2 coworkers. She was not involved in the conversation. She just happened to be present.

Beattie

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2001

uhh, firing someone is not nothing.

I should also say that this woman once became deathly afraid of the number 5, and freaked out whenever she saw it for a few days because the number 5 was "kinda pointy and round"

I'm afraid of 7, because 7 8 9:Q!!!

Jan 31, 2002
Most of the time, it's the uptight crotchety harrassment-spotters in their mid-30s who are all bitter that the studly university co-op student isn't putting the Mack on them.

:p

- M4H

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Since when is losing one's job a slap on the wrist?
Yea...they didn't do sh!t about it.
They let the guy go, you just said it yourself.
he could be doing what he did to me to some other poor unsuspecting girl in some other work place.
I am not familiar with what you are talking about, but I am guessing since he wasn't charged with rape, losing one's job is a pretty severe punishment, and should be enough to deterr someone from repeating the offense.
This one we agree on.
Get over it.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Uh, he got fired. Would you think getting fired is "nothing"? I won't make the assumption that he didn't do anything bad, but a lot of "sexual harassment" is just people being over sensitive. Evadman's case certainly sounds like that.

Seriously women, we are all adults here. It's not like you've never heard a sexual joke before. Sexual harassment is your boss saying sleep with me or you are fired. When somebody tells a slightly off color joke, the proper response if you are offended is to tell them you find the joke offensive and would like them to not tell jokes like that in the future. Most people will take the hint and be nice about it and not do it again. The proper response is not to get them fired or threaten their job for telling a joke.

I find the "equal treatment" at the workplace push kind of funny. Women are just as good in the workplace as men, so why do they need special protection from being offended? Real sexual harassment can strike men and women, but if a guy went to his boss and said he was offended by an off color joke, he would be laughed out of the office. If women don't want double standards, let's not have double standards, ok?

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
gonna have to agree with mflacy on this one.