POLL: Do you take the time to lap your heatsinks?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: housecat
i dont even do that stupid baggy and AS trick..

i just put a pea sized amount of AS on the core, slap the HS on and go.

and yes, I OC. makes no damn difference. maybe 1C or 2C.. woot. :thumbsdown:

My hero.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001

:Q

Man, that's WAY too much!

I bought a system from someone on here years ago that couldn't get it running stable. When I pulled it apart, it had about a half a tube of heatsink compound on it. I cleaned it up, lapped everything and put it back together with a (SMALL) amount of AS and it ran like a dream!

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: WobbleWobble
I haven't checked, but I would think the thermal resistance of stuff like AS5 to be good enough to effectively transfer heat as well as heatsink itself.

Even if AS5 had a better thermal conductivity then the heatsink, the fact that it is there causes lower overall thermal conductivity.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz
Originally posted by: WobbleWobble
I haven't checked, but I would think the thermal resistance of stuff like AS5 to be good enough to effectively transfer heat as well as heatsink itself.

Even if AS5 had a better thermal conductivity then the heatsink, the fact that it is there causes lower overall thermal conductivity.
Thermal compound is way better than air at conducting heat.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Nope, AS and effective use of fans works just find. I don't recall any lapped heatsink research...*runs off to google*

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
AS3 is the shiznit.

And I no lap nuttin.

I find AS3 to work better than thatn AS5.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would if I had a piece of plate glass.

What're these lapping kits someone was talking about?

housecat

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Mrvile

My hero.

TY TY.

And this is the original Arctic Silver noobz. From my socketA Athlon 700 Tbird.
Ya, its still good.

I wouldnt even be using AS prob if I didnt have it, just ceramic paste.. then I'd OC more just to see that 1C increase to piss you AS-freaks off.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I did that when I was a 15 year-old idiot, before I realized it's not beneficial for anything.

dderidex

Platinum Member
Mar 13, 2001
AS5 >>>> AS3 (or any other)

And I don't lap HSFs - I tend to just stick with brands that don't need it (Zalman CNPS7000 on the CPU at the moment).

I HAVE lapped graphics card *cores* down, though. Pretty damn often before everybody started doing flip-chip cores. Back in the day, you really had to lap those suckers down - WAY down - to get decent, flat, contact with the core and any add-on HSF.

ohnnyj

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: dderidex

And I don't lap HSFs - I tend to just stick with brands that don't need it (Zalman CNPS7000 on the CPU at the moment).

I HAVE lapped graphics card *cores* down, though. Pretty damn often before everybody started doing flip-chip cores. Back in the day, you really had to lap those suckers down - WAY down - to get decent, flat, contact with the core and any add-on HSF.

I never knew you could lap a core. I would be worried it would destroy it.

dderidex

Platinum Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: ohnnyj
Originally posted by: dderidex

I never knew you could lap a core. I would be worried it would destroy it.

Well, you DON'T lap a flip-chip core. The 'core' itself you don't lap (the silver part).

A lot of older cards (GeForce 4 Ti and earlier) had the core on the back of the 'chip' - facing the PCB, and a huge block of black silica on top of it. SERIOUSLY impeded heat dissipation.

Old-style core

Flip-chip core

The one you lap, the other you DO NOT!

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Every new heatsink i get that doesn't have a mirror finish i take to my little handy electric sander with some 800grit sandpaper and make it pretty and smooth :)
I've noticed it help temps in the 3-5degree range...not much...but i think its worth it

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I have before way back in another lifetime. These days I do as little as possible to get the system running.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
i used to back in my overclocking days, but now I just stick to default speeds. I do buy better aftermarket heatsinks, but i dont lap them anymore.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
mirror finish heat sink > lapping.

and 'heat sink' is two words.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
mirror finish heat sink > lapping.

and 'heat sink' is two words.

I suspected as much...

Oh well.

I still like to see myself in mine. :)

(I'm CUTE ;) )

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think it just depends on how serious you are wanting to OC.

I'm not such a big fan of putting in effort in trying to make my PC as fast as possible anymore so I wouldn't have any problems running everything at stock speeds.

If I decided I wanted to push everything I had to the limit, I probably would lap everything down. When you are trying to push your CPU just that much further, 2-3 degrees could be the difference between being 95% stable and 100%.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Lap the core? Even a bare core like an Athlon XP?????? Or do you mean the IHS?