POLL: Do you take the time to lap your heatsinks?

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
I just got done lapping another heatsink and it got me wondering how many others do this.

(Actually I'm not quite done, I'm still going to take metal polish to it...)

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Ohhhh I've always wanted to do this. Wrong Forum! I can be just like Nik now. YAY! :D

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I've always thought the purpose of thermal paste was to fill in the tiny imperfections of a solid surface. So the thermal paste would just fill in those gaps anyways so you wouldn't need to lap.

I haven't checked, but I would think the thermal resistance of stuff like AS5 to be good enough to effectively transfer heat as well as heatsink itself.

Any difference that I've seen has been minimal, usually close to a degree which I would argue is a margin of error.

My 2 cents. :)

ActuaryTm

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
I voted yes (obviously) though I have lapped cores as well in the past...
I fell into the same category (and thus voted the same). Depends on the size of the core.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
I guess I'm a Uber Geek.

I just tore down my old VP-6 with not only lapped heatsinks and cores but polished silver plates and hand made copper spacers.

I guess the silver will find it's way onto my new 3000+ Barton. :)

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: xEDIT409
What is "lapping?"

Going over the base of the heatsink to remove manufacturing imperfections, making it smoother to improve contact, etc.

ts3433

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
I didn't bother to lap my first heatsink, and I don't think I'll do it to any in the future even if I overclock again.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: xEDIT409
What is "lapping?"

Sanding out the imperfections in the surfaces and making everything as flat and smooth as possible making the fit between the core and the heatsink as close as possible.

housecat

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
i dont even do that stupid baggy and AS trick..

i just put a pea sized amount of AS on the core, slap the HS on and go.

and yes, I OC. makes no damn difference. maybe 1C or 2C.. woot. :thumbsdown: