POLL: Do you believe in life after death?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
You're worm food. The only way you live on is by nurturing a new generation of creepy crawlies.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Some Voyager episodes were just a wee bit kooky. Methinks the writers were either getting lazy or running out of ideas.
I blame Ron Moore for that, but let's not go off-topic here. For all we know and see, the word "kooky" could be used to define the universe/reality quite well.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Don't know, don't really care. We're all gonna die and find out for ourselves eventually, so there's no point fretting about it. I just try to live a good life while I'm here, and hopefully if there's some sort of afterlife, I won't get the poop end of the stick.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
None of your options really fit me. The "I don't really know" is accurate, but not the "I'm 50/50 on this one" part.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: RallyMaster
when ye dead, YE DEAD! logic tells me this.
Well that's obvious. The problem is defining DEAD beyond just the cessation of body functions. A computer can be turned on and off repeatedly. So can a car or any other machine we have made. Not so an animal or a human being. Why not? Therein lies the answer IMO. If we could "turn off" a person for a few days and then turn them back on again, I think we could go a lot further towards understanding what this death thing really is.
Exactly, and fully agreed. I just said this to him over IM actually - defining death in itself is a big factor.

Good article on this topic: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18368186

kstu

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2004
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
yes i do, 100%. Always have, always will.

I'm curious, what do you believe life after death to be? I guess this is a question to all those who answered yes, not just you. Heaven...reincarnation...something else?

L

Lola

Originally posted by: kstu
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
yes i do, 100%. Always have, always will.

I'm curious, what do you believe life after death to be? I guess this is a question to all those who answered yes, not just you. Heaven...reincarnation...something else?

I am rather spiritual, and won't go into it on this forum... many do not believe that anything happens to your "soul" after you pass, but i do believe it goes on to an afterlife, heaven, whatever. I do NOT believe in Heaven or Hell though. Just a different phase that ones soul embarks to.

Even in the most bare bones type of though... we are made of energy. when our bodies die, that energy cannot be "killed" it changes form but cannot just cease to exist.

For me, I have had many times in my life when i was uncertain of what happens after... but for me, things have happened and i know in my heart there is something else... what that is, i am not sure. Like i said though, i do not believe in Heaven and Hell.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Spirituality is one of the three pillars of our lives (mind and body the other 2). I do believe in the life after, but I don't dwell on it. It depends on your faith.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'm agnostic, and as for life after death I'm not sure. I'd like to think there is... seems like a waste just to die and that's it. If I had to choose just yes or no, I'd choose yes.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
No, but I guess anything is possible... It's hard to believe 100% that our consciousness simply disappears... I mean, that's REALLY hard to comprehend.

I'm an atheist, though... So I don't believe in a higher plane of existence with god(s) and all that.

Hm. I guess I'm not sure. All I know is, it scares the crap out of me.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: bum
Wow, almost 50/50 for yes/no. I expected "no" to have at least 75% or more.
Yeah, I expected a lot more people to make this sound completely ludicrous.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Absolutely.

And I'm living proof, that Karma does exist, and that being a good dung beetle and not stealing dung balls that aren't your own can lead to good things in your future lives. :)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: manowar821
No, but I guess anything is possible... It's hard to believe 100% that our consciousness simply disappears... I mean, that's REALLY hard to comprehend.

I'm an atheist, though... So I don't believe in a higher plane of existence with god(s) and all that.

If you're an atheist, what could you possibly have to be scared of?
Are you maybe worried that you're wrong and you'll end up in some kind of hell?

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

If you're an atheist, what could you possibly have to be scared of?
Are you maybe worried that you're wrong and you'll end up in some kind of hell?

Nope, I'm worried about not existing anymore. I like life.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Nope, I'm worried about not existing anymore. I like life.

But you know for a complete and utter fact that it WILL happen.
Worrying about it or being afraid of it seems a bit silly... almost like being scared that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I believe, although it would probably be more accurate to say I have faith in an afterlife, considering no one really knows what happens to someone's consciousness after death.