Poll: California should annex Las Vegas

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
Everything in CA is so much nicer than here it's not funny. Even the worst day in CA beats the best day in Boston hands down ! I challenge you to find one single good thing about living in this shiathole of a place !
Having lived in both Boston and SoCal, I can honestly say I prefer Boston. What are the good things about Boston you say?

• Boston has a sense of history and culture. SoCal is just endless preplanned communities, shopping malls and more shopping malls.
  • The North End, the Commons, Back Bay, the Theatre District...endless nightlife all a T stop away...SoCal, you have to drive EVERYWHERE...and there are not many clubs in Orange Country save for the beautiful people hotspots...and the clubs in LA leave me unimpressed, as do their patrons...and roudy Boston drunks make far better fellow patrons then LA and OC coke heads
  • Get a few drinks in a Bostonian and they'll talk to anyone, buy them a few drinks and they'll be your best friend

Nicer people in Boston
    Well at least when they are drunk which is a good portion of the time.

...it's true...I knew all of my neighbors in my apartment complex in Boston, and made small talk with them frequently...I have tried to do the same with my neighbors in California, and they look at me like I am crazy.
  • Well maybe your neighbors in SoCal looked at you crazy because they couldn't understand your funny Boston accent.
    Better drivers in Boston...sure, northeast drivers are more aggressive and rude, but I would take Boston drivers over these SoCal idiots who insist on playing "Fast and the Furious" on the freeways in their riced out imports...or the OC Stepford wives shuttling their spoiled brat kids in their oversized SUVs
  • That's a crock, some of the worse and rudest drivers I've ever encountered are in the Boston Area. Hell even the Bus Drivers drive with their middle finger hanging out the window. Crossing the street in a Crosswalk is putting your life in harms way.

The weather is better in Boston, but that is because I am partial to actually having seasons, particularly the Fall...sure 70s and sunny is nice, but it gets old after a while...and I would take a snowstorm in Boston over the warm blowdryer Santa Ana winds any day of the week
  • You ever wonder why there so many fat people in Boston, well besides Dunken Donuts being one of the main staples of food for a Bostonian, it's due to them being couped up in the house or in one of the many of thousand local neighborhood bars during the 5 month long winters.

The music scene is actually better in Boston...I wrongly assumed that because so many bands get their start in LA, that the music scene out here would be incredible...wrong...considering its size as a city, Boston has a far better music scene
  • That's true, especially if you happen to like the Dropkick Murphy's.

No ridiculous celebrity worship in Boston
  • Tell that to a Red Sox, Patriot or Bruin Player

The women in SoCal may be more beautiful, but they are also incredibly shallow, plastic, materialistic and fake...would take an educated Boston girl over one of these OC bimbos any day of the week...oh wait, I already did.
Me too, that's the reason I moved from Beautiful CA to Boston, it definately wasn't for the weather.

That being said, I do love San Diego and San Francisco...but that's because those cities remind me more of the Northeast, and have the same appeal as Boston, just without the snow.
You know I find Boston and San Francisco kind of similar except for there's less Fanooks in Boston.

If Los Angeles and the OC simply imploded, I would probably love California.
LOL, SoCal does kind of suck, that's why I prefer Central Ca and NorCal

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Get a few drinks in a Bostonian and they'll talk to anyone, buy them a few drinks and they'll be your best friend
Well isn't that what socializing is all about...the center of gravity for social engagements should not focus on "being seen" at hot spots. I miss the casual local bars and pubs of the northeast...nothing really compares to them.

Well maybe your neighbors in SoCal looked at you crazy because they couldn't understand your funny Boston accent.
LOL...I am not a native Bostonian...actually grew up in the NY suburbs, so I don't have much of an accent...I think my SoCal neighbors are just strange.

That's a crock, some of the worse and rudest drivers I've ever encountered are in the Boston Area. Hell even the Bus Drivers drive with their middle finger hanging out the window. Crossing the street in a Crosswalk is putting your life in harms way.
No argument there...but I am accustomed to their kind of driving...SoCal drivers scare the hell out of me...crossing 5 lanes of freeway at 90mph to take an exit at the last minute...the Stepford wife in her Suburban/Denali/H2 tailgaiting me while applying her makeup, talking on her cell phone, drinking her soy vanilla frappa crappa latte and probably snorting coke...the kamikaze Mexican filled 1980s era mini vans that come out of nowhere...the spoiled rich kids weaving in and out of traffic in their little sports cars...the good thing about Boston streets and highways is that they are narrow...not a lot of room for people to maneuver or be jerks, beyond the usual "hand and arm" signals...would rather get flipped off by an ahole then flipped over by a speeding ahole.

You ever wonder why there so many fat people in Boston, well besides Dunken Donuts being one of the main staples of food for a Bostonian, it's due to them being couped up in the house or in one of the many of thousand local neighborhood bars during the 5 month long winters.
Could be that eating disorders aren't as extensive in the northeast, as the people there are not as image conscious...although I can relate to the Dunkin Donuts addiction.

That's true, especially if you happen to like the Dropkick Murphy's.
Or the heavy metal/hard rock scene...given that the Sunset Strip used to be the epicenter of the rock scene, I expected more out of Los Angelese...I went to the Whiskey one night, and the only performer was a fat balding guy in yellow spandex attempting to reclaim the glory years of 80s hair metal...Boston has a ridiculous number of rock venues and clubs, and most of the big rock acts play Boston even when they aren't officially touring.

Tell that to a Red Sox, Patriot or Bruin Player
True, Bostonians are a bit fanatical about their sports teams worship...but any day of the week I would take a city full of people dressed in Red Sox garb over a city full of people who want to be Paris Hilton.