Politicians Delete Digital Praise of Bowe Bergdahl Release

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Link to article

Bergdahl.jpg

Congressman Stephen F. Lynch (D-MA) has joined the small but growing club of politicians who have deleted tweets initially sent in support of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s release. Rep. Lynch is the first Democrat to do so, according to deleted tweets archived on Politwoops.com, adding a bit of bipartisanship to the mix. He deleted his two tweets, which said, "Great to hear that Bo Bergdahl has been released from captivity in Afgh/Pak. Warmest regards to his family with gratitude for his/their service and sacrifice," three days after first posting them to Twitter.

LynchBergdahlTweet.png

At least three prominent Republicans appeared to offer praise on Twitter for the rescue of American POW Bowe Bergdahl — only to later backtrack, scrubbing their tweets or websites of any mention of the soldier after questions arose over the prisoner swap that freed him.

Republicans have widely criticized the Obama administration for swapping five high-level Taliban prisoners for Bergdahl, who many believe defected from his base because he was unhappy with the U.S. military’s actions in Afghanistan.

But before those criticisms mounted, some members of the GOP didn't hesitate to welcome Bergdahl's release with open arms.

Rep. Lee Terry (R-NE)

"A grateful nation welcomes the news of the return of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl," Rep. Lee Terry (R-NE) said in a statement that's since been removed from his website.

"I have the pleasure of regularly speaking with our nation's active duty military and veterans and I know that there is nothing more solemn than the pledge to never leave one of their own behind on the field of battle," Terry said in the statement, before calling Bergdahl "a national hero."

A tweet sent from the congressman's account still stands, calling Bergdahl's release "wonderful news." But in place of the statement on his website is this message: "We are sorry, but there is no document by that reference here."

Larry Farnsworth, Terry's communications director, tells Mashable in a statement, “We’ve heard and learned of some things that are extremely troubling in the last two days and we believed it was appropriate to take it down.”

Rep. Mark Amodei (R-NV)

Rep. Mark Amodei (R-NV) seemed excited when he heard the news, too.

"Best news I've heard in a long time!" the Twitter account for the Republican congressman said, including the hashtag "#standwithbowe" and a link to a USA Today story about the soldier's release.

RepMarkAmodei.png

That tweet has since been removed from his account, too, deleted after 15 hours, according to Politwoops, a website by the Sunlight Foundation that tracks deleted tweets sent by politicians.

A representative for Amodei tells Mashable, "Upon hearing the news, his spokesperson quickly posted something expressing happiness in the return of a POW, without knowing the terms of the release or consulting the congressman. When more became known, the post was taken down."

Joni Ernst, GOP Senate candidate in Iowa

Joni Ernst, the leading Republican candidate hoping to replace retiring Sen. Tom Harkin in Iowa, tweeted at 3:31 p.m. on May 31, "US Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl freed after being reported missing 5 yrs in Afghanistan. Thoughts & prayers go out to Sgt. Bergdahl & his family."

JoniErnst.png

That tweet was removed after 25 minutes.

Other Republicans have been vocal in their criticism of the Obama administration's actions.

"What does this tell the terrorists? That if you capture a U.S. soldier, you can trade that soldier for five terrorists," Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) said on ABC's This Week, calling the prisoner swap "very disturbing."

California Rep. Buck McKeon, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, said of Obama: “I think in the eyes of many, he broke the law by not informing Congress 30 days before that.” His committee will hold hearings on the prisoner swap.

Conservative media are taking it further, with the leading beacon of the right, the Drudge Report, calling Bergdahl a "rat."

Bergdahlrat.png

---------------------------------------

By the way they are now saying there is no real proof that any soldiers died looking for Bergdahl and that they facts will come out, and I imagine once again, the Republicans will have egg on their face again.

Ohhh and let's not forget that some weeks back McCain was all in favor of Bergdahls release see here: McCains Reversal on Bergdahls release and YouTube of the actual news footage weeks prior to of McCain saying he was all in favor of Bergdahls release CNN

Last edited:

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Amazing and typical and predictable, they were for it before they were against it.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Ollie North has a Bergdahl POW bracelet. McCain, a former POW who made a propaganda film for the enemy, was for the 5 for 1 trade before he was against it. How about some run of the mill wingnuts? There's this and this. One observant person stated that those who are hating on Bergdahl would be welcoming him as a hero if he had walked off because he refused to recognize Obama was the legitimate President and refused to follow his orders.

The fact that his former troop members are being trotted out by Republican operatives stinks all to high hell. A good friend of mine is the local VFW head and a Ranger who served in Nam. I asked him his opinion today and he is embarrassed for our country that so many would pass judgment before the military examines the case. That and that the fellow soldiers who are trash talking him are shitheads that he would have been embarrassed to serve with. We leave nobody behind. If there were problems then we sort them out when we bring them home.

I have a feeling that if Republican politicians called for his beheading that their supporters would line up for tickets to watch.

And he hasn't even had a chance to tell his side of the story. Wow.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Ollie North has a Bergdahl POW bracelet. McCain, a former POW who made a propaganda film for the enemy, was for the 5 for 1 trade before he was against it. How about some run of the mill wingnuts? There's this and this. One observant person stated that those who are hating on Bergdahl would be welcoming him as a hero if he had walked off because he refused to recognize Obama was the legitimate President and refused to follow his orders.

The fact that his former troop members are being trotted out by Republican operatives stinks all to high hell. A good friend of mine is the local VFW head and a Ranger who served in Nam. I asked him his opinion today and he is embarrassed for our country that so many would pass judgment before the military examines the case. That and that the fellow soldiers who are trash talking him are shitheads that he would have been embarrassed to serve with. We leave nobody behind. If there were problems then we sort them out when we bring them home.

I have a feeling that if Republican politicians called for his beheading that their supporters would line up for tickets to watch.

And he hasn't even had a chance to tell his side of the story. Wow.

My son is currently in the military and he has quite a few buddies who are in the marines right now, and we talked about this and he said many in the military are absolutely dumb founded at this BS. Yes, many are embarrassed but the Repubs are putting the military guys who are clearly republican and hate this President out front making statements to say that Bergdahl shouldn't have been rescued and attacking his family. It is utterly disgraceful.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My favorite part is that Oliver North is complaining about the US trading hostages for something that could one day kill Americans.

Oliver North.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
My favorite part is that Oliver North is complaining about the US trading hostages for something that could one day kill Americans.

Oliver North.

Yeah, it reminds me of when Cheney or Rove come on shows to criticize Obama's policies. Some of his worst are just continuations of Bush's!

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
LOL @ OP and others for trying to make this a GOP thing. While there was 1 example the OP included of a Dem, many others have made statements and are now walking back from them now that more info has surfaced.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
By the way they are now saying there is no real proof that any soldiers died looking for Bergdahl and that they facts will come out, and I imagine once again, the Republicans will have egg on their face again.

Ohhh and let's not forget that some weeks back McCain was all in favor of Bergdahls release see here: McCains Reversal on Bergdahls release and YouTube of the actual news footage weeks prior to of McCain saying he was all in favor of Bergdahls release CNN

Amazing and typical and predictable, they were for it before they were against it.

1. I suppose you don't consider the public testimony of his fellow soilders, each corroborating the others, as proof?

2. I imagine that the celebratory remarks were before knowledge of Bergdahl actions (his remarks about the USA and military etc.) and the circumstances of his 'capture' were known. I think it entirely understandable that those congratulatory remark were removed.

3. No one has switched positions. McCain indicated he supported a trade to have soldiers returned, but he made it very clear that his support depended upon the details. It is entirely reasonable that someone, including McCain, could object to the 5 top AQ terrorists being included in such a trade. I'm no fan of McCain, but it is completely dishonest to criticize him as you have done.

Fern

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
1. I suppose you don't consider the public testimony of his fellow soilders, each corroborating the others, as proof?

It's not it is their speculation and assumptions, no one really knows what happened. In fact Bergdahl was given permission to leave and told not to take any equipment with him. The investigation by the Army will get to the truth, and I find it amazing that everyone assumes he is a guilty traitor before knowing all the facts.

2. I imagine that the celebratory remarks were before knowledge of Bergdahl actions (his remarks about the USA and military etc.) and the circumstances of his 'capture' were known. I think it entirely understandable that those congratulatory remark were removed.

Wrong again, he already had the written content and displayed problems and McCain and others were already aware of it. Look it up.

3. No one has switched positions. McCain indicated he supported a trade to have soldiers returned, but he made it very clear that his support depended upon the details. It is entirely reasonable that someone, including McCain, could object to the 5 top AQ terrorists being included in such a trade. I'm no fan of McCain, but it is completely dishonest to criticize him as you have done.

You do realize that these 5 that were traded were going to be released anyway right?

Fern

See comments above

Prior to Bergdahl's release, Republican lawmakers were some of the sergeant's biggest advocates, and repeatedly pressed the administration to do something -- in fact, everything within its power -- to get him returned to the United States.

A May 22 press release from Ayotte's office read, "As part of ongoing efforts to urge the Department of Defense to do all it can to find Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl and bring him home safely, Senator Ayotte worked successfully to include a provision in the bill that presses Pakistan to fully cooperate in the search for SGT Bergdahl."

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Maybe people were more supportive before they found out we traded 5 terrorists for one traitor and deserter.

It was absolutely disgusting to see his father standing at the white house spewing his "merciful allah" garbage. Glad to see the "welcome home" parade for Bergdahl was cancelled.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Maybe people were more supportive before they found out we traded 5 terrorists for one traitor and deserter.

It was absolutely disgusting to see his father standing at the white house spewing his "merciful allah" garbage. Glad to see the "welcome home" parade for Bergdahl was cancelled.

Wow, judgemental much?? His father learned Pashtun and reached out to his son's captors in the hopes they would not harm his son. The idea was to reach some type of commonality so that the captors would be less likely to kill his son. I have a son, and he is in the military and I tell you what, I would do that, and anything else needed to get my son back, or to ensure his safety.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012

How do you expect to prove a negative.

Soldiers were killed while on patrol.
Patrols were are les than recommended strength levels due to the search efforts.

Would they have been killed if the patrols were at full strength, who knows.

All the troops know is that their safety was jeopardized and people were killed while operating under such conditions.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012

Then the appropriate response isn't to try to hide what you previously said, but to explain why, in light of further information, you were wrong when you said it.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
See comments above
It's not it is their speculation and assumptions, no one really knows what happened.

The hell it is. They KNOW that their mission changed to finding him. They KNOW that their fellow soldiers were killed by IED's on those recovery missions.

Wrong again, he already had the written content and displayed problems and McCain and others were already aware of it. Look it up.

If you want to make claims that McCain and others already knew all this then you need to link it.

You do realize that these 5 that were traded were going to be released anyway right?

No. That's speculation. All I've seen is some lawyer's conjecture that they would be released. I can't seem to find right now or I'd have more to comment on.

Fern

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
How do you expect to prove a negative.

Soldiers were killed while on patrol.
Patrols were are les than recommended strength levels due to the search efforts.

Would they have been killed if the patrols were at full strength, who knows.

All the troops know is that their safety was jeopardized and people were killed while operating under such conditions.

Again that has been proven to be a false report by CNN about soldiers dying looking for Bergdahl.

In addition you do realize that Bush released 600 GITMO detainees, many who were terrorists also right?? But no one put up a fit then did they? At least we got our POW for the exchange. Well worth it in my opinion.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Wow, judgemental much?? His father learned Pashtun and reached out to his son's captors in the hopes they would not harm his son. The idea was to reach some type of commonality so that the captors would be less likely to kill his son. I have a son, and he is in the military and I tell you what, I would do that, and anything else needed to get my son back, or to ensure his safety.

His father's remarks at the WH were made after his son was released.

Fern

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
The hell it is. They KNOW that their mission changed to finding him. They KNOW that their fellow soldiers were killed by IED's on those recovery missions.

If you want to make claims that McCain and others already knew all this then you need to link it.

No. That's speculation. All I've seen is some lawyer's conjecture that they would be released. I can't seem to find right now or I'd have more to comment on.

Fern

I don't have to link anything, it wouldn't matter if I did, because you have already made your mind up the guy is a traitor and soldiers died looking for him (all of which is false at this point), the truth and facts have yet to come out. He was given permission to leave, look it up moron.

I am not going to do your homework for you. Your a simpleton who follows like a blind mice anything the GOP throws at the wall to make a scandal out of anything.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
His father's remarks at the WH were made after his son was released.

Fern

So?? who gives a fuck? He is trying to help his son transition.. jesus, you people are totally retarded and paranoid as hell. What did he say?? He said "Allah the merciful the compassionate", would it have been better if he said "God the merciful the compassionate"?? What a hypocrite you are. Your like a f**king Joseph McCarthy nut.. omg, he said Allah the merciful, he must be a terrorist!!

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
So?? who gives a fuck? He is trying to help his son transition..
-snip-

You first claimed he was speaking thusly to reach out to his son's captors:

You got called for BS. As I noted his son had already been released.

Now you're switching to claiming it was to help his son transition? Bwuhahaha.

His son wasn't at the WH. He's being held in Europe. Even if he were there, how that helps with his transition is mystifying.

Fern

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
You first claimed he was speaking thusly to reach out to his son's captors:

You got called for BS. As I noted his son had already been released.

Now you're switching to claiming it was to help his son transition? Bwuhahaha.

His son wasn't at the WH. He's being held in Europe. Even if he were there, how that helps with his transition is mystifying.

Fern

Why don't you read this you dumb f**ck. http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/03/us/bob-bergdahl-profile/

He says that is why he learned the language and muslim ways in this CNN interview.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Oliver North.

Yep, easily the most epic hoot I've had in awhile. I doubled up on the comedy by checking out what America's best dressed vegetables over at Fox were saying about it, and they did not disappoint. ;) Good times.

Grats to Bergdahl for escaping The Hole, although I bet he wishes his last name was Bush right now. I get the impression he's not going to be sent off to Leavenworth, but a dishonorable discharge at the very least seems warranted if what I've heard is true.