Police Stop Man For Carrying Gun Out In Open

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
open carry and concealed carry laws are tricky issues for the police to deal with, period

you see a guy, looking like a thug of sorts - or wearing a dark trenchcoat, walking down the street towards the school your child attends - you notice he's got a gun on him - are you supposed to ignore him?

How many cops do you know that 'calmly' and peacefully approach anyone that they know is armed? There is no lawsuit here, at all - cops can easily say the need to defend themselves, given the call, as all the backup they need.

It's not like the cops were walking down the street and tackled some random person, read the damn details first.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: OCguy
Originally posted by: Atheus
See your sig for my feelings on this.

Everyone is well aware of your racism and xenophobia.

:roll:

Everyone is aware of your ignorance and baiting.

It's so cute how righties learn 'bad words' to call people and use the words randomly, like a toddler who calls everything 'poop' and giggles. Athues 1, ocguy 0.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
What's the diffrerence, from an unarmed person's point of view, between someone wearing a handgun ready to draw it, and someone calmly holding a knife six inches from your throat? I reckon I'd stand a better chance vs the knife guy actually. No way I'd want to live somewhere this is legal.

Err, the guy with the knife is threatening you and the one with the gun is not?

Well lets pretend he's just calmly walking next to you but keeping the knife within range of your neck. Nobody would put up with that.

I don't see what you are getting at. Knife guy is still threatening you. Gun guy is not.

Well that's sort of my point - to me the threat is implied in both cases. By barber holds a knife to my throat, and if I go shooting the guy next to me is carrying a gun, but the difference is I know and trust those people. We're not on a public street with random strangers, possibly angry, possibly drunk, possibly mentally unstable...

The situation would make me extremely uncomfotable.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Craig234

It's so cute how righties learn 'bad words' to call people and use the words randomly, like a toddler who calls everything 'poop' and giggles. Athues 1, ocguy 0.

Gee, I really thought you might side with the non gun-grabbers on this one Craig.

Silly me!

Edit: Wow, time-warping bad today!

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
"Pretty much any time my pants are on, I'm armed," Krause said.

I've never really understood why people feel this way...:confused:

How else would you feel like a big man?

Personally? By being a good father to my son, a good husband to my wife for starters.

Strapping a gun to your hip no more makes you a man than riding a bicycle makes you Lance Armstrong.

Part of being a goodd father and husband is protecting your family. Thank you can protect them with your fists or do you hope the smell of shit and piss running down your leg will run off someone intent on doing you harm.

Hooray! What's it like to be a Texas stereotype?

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004

Well that's sort of my point - to me the threat is implied in both cases. By barber holds a knife to my throat, and if I go shooting the guy next to me is carrying a gun, but the difference is I know and trust those people. We're not on a public street with random strangers, possibly angry, possibly drunk, possibly mentally unstable...

I don't know my local police officers and they carry guns openly. Heck they could be just as mentally unstable, angry, or even drunk.

I personally prefer concealed carry vs. open carry, since seeing the weapon on a random individual would cause some concern among the populace. At least if its concealed many of them won't know about it and will never know the difference.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: NeoV
open carry and concealed carry laws are tricky issues for the police to deal with, period

you see a guy, looking like a thug of sorts - or wearing a dark trenchcoat, walking down the street towards the school your child attends - you notice he's got a gun on him - are you supposed to ignore him?

How many cops do you know that 'calmly' and peacefully approach anyone that they know is armed? There is no lawsuit here, at all - cops can easily say the need to defend themselves, given the call, as all the backup they need.

It's not like the cops were walking down the street and tackled some random person, read the damn details first.

''My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it,'' Flynn said. ''Maybe I'll end up with a protest of cowboys. In the meantime, I've got serious offenders with access to handguns. It's irresponsible to send a message to them that if they just carry it openly no one can bother them.''

http://wcco.com/wisconsinwire/...%93CarryingWeapons.xml

What sort of police chief calls his officers troops?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: NeoV

''My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it,'' Flynn said. ''Maybe I'll end up with a protest of cowboys. In the meantime, I've got serious offenders with access to handguns. It's irresponsible to send a message to them that if they just carry it openly no one can bother them.''

http://wcco.com/wisconsinwire/...%93CarryingWeapons.xml

What sort of police chief calls his officers troops?

:laugh:

That guy is out of his mind. I give it 6 months before he is sued into oblivion.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
"Pretty much any time my pants are on, I'm armed," Krause said.
Funny, every time my pants are off, I'm armed!

and that right there is the primary difference between liberals and conservatives :)

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

How cute are the morons that think they make a funny by inserting some political reference into their posts?

In your haste to play devil's advocate, you missed the point about the chief of police openly declaring he doesn't care about the law or the AG's ruling. He, the chief of police, feels openly armed people should be disarmed by force until they can prove that they can legally carry a weapon. This goes against one of the core beliefs of Americans.

Do you actually have a point to any of your posts or do you only feel the need to play devil's advocate?

Feb 24, 2001
What's the diffrerence, from an unarmed person's point of view, between someone wearing a handgun ready to draw it, and someone calmly holding a knife six inches from your throat? I reckon I'd stand a better chance vs the knife guy actually. No way I'd want to live somewhere this is legal.

Well lets pretend he's just calmly walking next to you but keeping the knife within range of your neck. Nobody would put up with that.

I don't see what you are getting at. Knife guy is still threatening you. Gun guy is not.

Well I could say the same thing and say the guy walking around with a gun is a cop.

It's all kinda irrelevant to the issue at hand though. The law is that open carry is legal. Arguing that it should be illegal, a bad idea, etc. isn't really the scope of the incident.

The problem is that the law says it's ok, the DA says it's ok, but the police chief says he's going to put people on the ground and take the guns away until the person proves themselves to be legal. Not really a good example of due process...

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: brandonbull

How cute are the morons that think they make a funny by inserting some political reference into their posts?

In your haste to play devil's advocate, you missed the point about the chief of police openly declaring he doesn't care about the law or the AG's ruling. He, the chief of police, feels openly armed people should be disarmed by force until they can prove that they can legally carry a weapon. This goes against one of the core beliefs of Americans.

Do you actually have a point to any of your posts or do you only feel the need to play devil's advocate?

This makes me the devil? :evil:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: brandonbull

Does anybody on this forum have a point to their posts? Most of your I guys where ever you all work should be blocking port 80 :) More worky less typy

May 16, 2000

Ahhh, but your right to be comfortable does not give you the power to make me uncomfortable by disarming me...especially when my safety and right to carry is guaranteed, and your 'comfort' is not.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
So if any of you saw a couple of Hells Angels carrying guns out in the open in your Neighborhood you wouldn't call the Police? Keep in mind they have the same rights as you.

If I saw them commiting crimes, of course I would. If I am in a state where open-carry is legal with the correct permits, why would I call the police unless they are doing something wrong? :confused:

That's a very good question Red Dawn. I'm all for constitutional rights, but how did the police know ahead of time this man was carrying legally? Sure, he may not be acting erratic, but by the time he does, since he has a gun, it may be to late.

Besides, there are plenty of people whom I would feel very uncomfortable around if I saw them carrying a gun. If I knew the person, or I were in a very good area and the person looked like a normal safe person, fine. But If I'm somewhere unfamiliar and I see some guy with tats on his bodies, cutoff sleeves, mean looking demeanor, you bet your ass I'm going to be very nervous. Even if he is the nicest guy in the world.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Meh, I don't think that police should stop carrying while on duty. We live in a society where the right to bear arms is fundamental (for good reason), and it takes an equally armed police force to deal with those who misuse that right. Do all police need to carry? probably not, but as a whole it is necessary, imho.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

Ahhh, but your right to be comfortable does not give you the power to make me uncomfortable by disarming me...especially when my safety and right to carry is guaranteed, and your 'comfort' is not.

I'm talking purely from a conceptual point of view though, not a legal point of view - the law is clear in both our countries. I'm talking about what should be the law in my opinion.

I don't see why some random should have the power to just kill me on the steet with no fight.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: JSFLY
No, your right wing bias is clouding yours. Someone calls 911 about a dude branding a gun, any officer would put him down as a safety precaution. Noone's rights were being violated here... just police officers doing their job to the best of their ability.

Simply having a firearm holstered in plain view does not constitute "brandishing". Claiming that it does is nothing more than your own bias.

Still, from this report it doesn't seem that the police have done anything wrong. They did not assault the man and they did not "put him down". I didn't see any mention of him being taken into custody or handcuffed, nor are such things shown in the video. Overall, it looks like the so-called "confrontation" was handled well by both parties this time.

ZV

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
So if any of you saw a couple of Hells Angels carrying guns out in the open in your Neighborhood you wouldn't call the Police? Keep in mind they have the same rights as you.

Nope.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MotF Bane

Nope.

The right question would be if you saw Asian men wearing camo and carrying guns would you call the police?

or

If you saw black men wearing all black carrying guns in your hood would you call the police?

you have to play to the xenophobic nature of the conservative.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

I carry a large swiss army knife every day. Anyone I walk near is technically "in range". I've never had anyone complain. Hell, at my old office I kept a large Gerber multi-tool in my desk The large blade came in handy to open paper boxes (the ones with those plastic bailing straps that are a pain to remove) and the tools were useful on several occasions as well. Technically most of the people in the office were "within range" and no-one complained.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01

Nope.

The right question would be if you saw Asian men wearing camo and carrying guns would you call the police?

or

If you saw black men wearing all black carrying guns in your hood would you call the police?

I see this all the time at my local gun range and in the surrounding neighborhood. Why would it bother me?

ZV

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

I carry a large swiss army knife every day. Anyone I walk near is technically "in range". I've never had anyone complain. Hell, at my old office I kept a large Gerber multi-tool in my desk The large blade came in handy to open paper boxes (the ones with those plastic bailing straps that are a pain to remove) and the tools were useful on several occasions as well. Technically most of the people in the office were "within range" and no-one complained.

ZV

I think I covered this before - see the bit about barbers and hunting trips above - but I'll rephrase. Those knives aren't being used as weapons. Just tools. If you take it out and hold it near someone's face, even if you're completely calm and saying nothing, the knife is now a weapon. A gun worn in a city is always a weapon. So in both cases you have a weapon and you are conciously and deliberately showing it to someone to make your power/threat clear. I don't see the fundamental difference. Nobody is this world would put up with the knife thing - they would either shit themselves or become very angry. So why do many Americans think the gun thing is ok? Becasue of an unhealthy love of the gun as an icon and a source of pride rather than a nasty weapon to be brought out only if absolutely nescesary. Just my thoughs upon reading this thread.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01

Nope.

or

I'll assume that's directed at me, and respond that I am not a conservative. Moving from there, the answer remains no. I'm from a suburb, I'd honestly more expect to see Africans or Asians than Hell's Angels.

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
I honestly can't decide who's more paranoid: The guy who feels the need to be armed just walking down the street, or the person who immediately dials 911 at the sight of the guy casually walking down the street with a holstered gun on his hip.

Fuck it, they're both loons and I want nothing to do with either of them.