Police Stop Man For Carrying Gun Out In Open

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: racolvin
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
So if any of you saw a couple of Hells Angels carrying guns out in the open in your Neighborhood you wouldn't call the Police? Keep in mind they have the same rights as you.

Depends on if I know whether its legal to carry a firearm at all (Open Carry or Concealed) and whether or not he's politely keeping it holstered or if he's waving it around like an idiot.

Calling the police isn't really the issue here tho - its how the police react that caused the discussion isn't it? I mean if a nervous housewife calls the police saying that there are several Hells Angels (she can read the jacket) in her neighborhood carrying guns but they're not menacing with them or behaving like idiots, then the police should do just as I described earlier - do a drive by, check outstanding warrants, etc, etc.

And once again you miss the point. If you can LEGALLY open carry you should not be regularly harassed by the police. The police should NOT be detaining you every time someone reports seeing you with a gun.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Let me get this straight... The guy was *legally* carrying a gun without threatening anyone and he got 'treated as a threat' because someone who is apparently ignorant of the law got nervous?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
So if any of you saw a couple of Hells Angels carrying guns out in the open in your Neighborhood you wouldn't call the Police? Keep in mind they have the same rights as you.

No, I wouldn't call the police. If they pulled them out and started pointing them at things or shooting into the air, I would. It is perfectly legal and acceptable to open carry.

Originally posted by: OCguy
If I saw them commiting crimes, of course I would. If I am in a state where open-carry is legal with the correct permits, why would I call the police unless they are doing something wrong? :confused:

:thumbsup:

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
Originally posted by: racolvin

Depends on if I know whether its legal to carry a firearm at all (Open Carry or Concealed) and whether or not he's politely keeping it holstered or if he's waving it around like an idiot.

Calling the police isn't really the issue here tho - its how the police react that caused the discussion isn't it? I mean if a nervous housewife calls the police saying that there are several Hells Angels (she can read the jacket) in her neighborhood carrying guns but they're not menacing with them or behaving like idiots, then the police should do just as I described earlier - do a drive by, check outstanding warrants, etc, etc.

And once again you miss the point. If you can LEGALLY open carry you should not be regularly harassed by the police. The police should NOT be detaining you every time someone reports seeing you with a gun.

No I didn't miss the point at all. Nobody said anything about detaining you. I have no problem with an officer calmly approaching and asking for ID and your permit to carry, for verification purposes, in response to a callout. Since open carry would not be legal for a person with a felony record, etc, it isn't unreasonable for them to ask.

What IS unreasonable is for them to swarm you, force you to the ground under threat, cuff you and slam you against a squad car like you had just robbed a 7-11 using that gun you're legally entitled to carry.

If I'm in my home town and the cops know me and have checked on me before, then yes I would consider it unreasonable if they asked me for my ID EVERY time they saw me, especially if it got to the point where the officers and I knew each other by name :)

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008

If they are not convicted felons they have the same rights as me. Would you prefer we remove rights from people that have done nothing to deserve it? Could you maybe provide a list of 'acceptable' people to you that rights should be applied to and those groups which you consider unacceptable and should have their rights removed?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Mean MrMustard
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2

Puss-bubble - that's clever. You live 45 minutes away from here in arguably an even bigger puss bubble in the City of Orange. If you want to start slinging poorly conceived, un-creative, hastily developed insults around, you're doing it in the wrong place. What exactly constitutes a puss-bubble?

Side note: How much do you absolutely hate you job/life that you come on here to be an enormous dick all the time? Is it a lot? Are you very lonely?

Side note x2: Will you leave the state soon? I hope so.

Back on topic: You're right, the police should have showed up and compared dick sizes with the guy. Because let's face it, that's what this is all about, anyhow.

Setting aside your personal insults, ill address the bolded part.

What this is really about is that you think guns are "icky", and do not believe in the Bill of Rights.

Any gun story that comes up, you will be anti-gun. So really, your opinion on this matter is irrelevant, because no matter what, you are going to side with the gun-grabbers. You have made it clear that you do not see a need for private citizens to be armed, so you are the outlier here.

What other constitutional rights are you against?

Actually, his opinion is as relevant as yours. As is mine.

Seriously, do some traveling around the globe and you'll find that most countries aren't as full of fear and paranoia as the United Armed States of America.

This is a domestic issue, why the F should we care what other countries do?

So the gun-grabbers are trying to take guns away, but it's the gun-lovers who are 'full of fear and paranoia'? Hmmm...

I didn't say we should take away the guns. Just that it isn't necessary to be armed 24/7 nor do I want to live in a society where everyone is armed 24/7. You think it makes for a polite society, I say it makes for a nervous society.

I own guns myself but I have no desire to carry them concealed or openly. I'm sure as hell not full of fear and paranoia. I just think it's a big responsibility carrying a gun...not to mention a big pain in the ass.

Honestly, I think some of you just have a hard on to shoot somebody. Quite frankly, I question your motives.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

Hopefully he'll sue and get a nice big payment. That seems to be the only way to get police depts. To learn.

Exactly. It's not a rights issue, it's a:

"Hello, 9-1-1 Emergency."

"Uh, yeah, there's this guy walking around outside and he's carrying a gun."

"...we'll send someone over."

Wow, you have no idea what you are talking about. Go to Arizona or Northern California (outside the bay area, obviously) and you will see people carrying.

Leave your little Southern California liberal puss-bubble every now and then and you will see the rest of the country does not get scared of guns the way you do.

People open-cary and concealed carry all over the country. If cops tackled every one of them because of a phone-call they would go bankrupt from litigation.

Puss-bubble - that's clever. You live 45 minutes away from here in arguably an even bigger puss bubble in the City of Orange. If you want to start slinging poorly conceived, un-creative, hastily developed insults around, you're doing it in the wrong place. What exactly constitutes a puss-bubble?

Side note: How much do you absolutely hate you job/life that you come on here to be an enormous dick all the time? Is it a lot? Are you very lonely?

Side note x2: Will you leave the state soon? I hope so.

Back on topic: You're right, the police should have showed up and compared dick sizes with the guy. Because let's face it, that's what this is all about, anyhow.

How are you not banned yet.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

Honestly, I think some of you just have a hard on to shoot somebody. Quite frankly, I question your motives.

Geesh, gun owners secretly want to shoot somebody?? Get a grip, you're making an ass out of yourself.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
"Pretty much any time my pants are on, I'm armed," Krause said.

I've never really understood why people feel this way...:confused:

How else would you feel like a big man?

Personally? By being a good father to my son, a good husband to my wife for starters.

Being a defenseless and unable to protect your family makes you a sheep, not a man.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: QuantumPion

Personally? By being a good father to my son, a good husband to my wife for starters.

Being a defenseless and unable to protect your family makes you a sheep, not a man.

I'm 100% pro-2nd-amendment, but gun ownership is not for everyone, and not owning firearms doesn't make someone less of a parent or family man. '

It is an important freedom, one that should be defended voraciously. It is not a measuring stick of sheep vs. man.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

If they are not convicted felons they have the same rights as me. Would you prefer we remove rights from people that have done nothing to deserve it? Could you maybe provide a list of 'acceptable' people to you that rights should be applied to and those groups which you consider unacceptable and should have their rights removed?
What part of "Keep in mind they have the same rights as you" don't you understand?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: fisheerman
Move down here to VA.

If they pull this stuff you will get a big fat check.

link
LOL, it seems that guy's found a way to make a good living without working.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Arkaign
It is an important freedom, one that should be defended voraciously. It is not a measuring stick of sheep vs. man.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
What's the diffrerence, from an unarmed person's point of view, between someone wearing a handgun ready to draw it, and someone calmly holding a knife six inches from your throat? I reckon I'd stand a better chance vs the knife guy actually. No way I'd want to live somewhere this is legal.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Atheus
What's the diffrerence, from an unarmed person's point of view, between someone wearing a handgun ready to draw it, and someone calmly holding a knife six inches from your throat? I reckon I'd stand a better chance vs the knife guy actually. No way I'd want to live somewhere this is legal.

Err, the guy with the knife is threatening you and the one with the gun is not?

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones

Well lets pretend he's just calmly walking next to you but keeping the knife within range of your neck. Nobody would put up with that.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

See your sig for my feelings on this.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Well lets pretend he's just calmly walking next to you but keeping the knife within range of your neck. Nobody would put up with that.

Nobody is pointing a gun, that would be illegal.

Whacky Euros, I swear...

Feb 24, 2001

I don't see what you are getting at. Knife guy is still threatening you. Gun guy is not.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: JSFLY
Originally posted by: joshsquall
http://www.wisn.com/cnn-news/19235901/detail.html

Regardless of your views on gun control and private gun ownership, isn't it a little ridiculous that police take you down first and ask questions later, for doing something that's entirely legal? This is similar to pulling you over because you're black and might have drugs.

Someone saw a guy carrying a gun, freaked out and called the police. If I were a cop and showed up to investigate a guy with a gun, you're Goddamn right he's getting on the ground until I can get everything sorted out.

You liberal tendencies are clouding your judgement.

He is exercising a constitutional right that was affirmed by a court and was harassed.

I hope he sues the absolute shit out of everyone involved.

No, your right wing bias is clouding yours. Someone calls 911 about a dude branding a gun, any officer would put him down as a safety precaution. Noone's rights were being violated here... just police officers doing their job to the best of their ability.

Brandishing a wepon means to display it in a manner designed to cause fear or unrest.
Carrying it on your person in an open carry state is not brandishing. It is excersising a right.
Just because you are insecure with firearms does not mean others are and that others should have to live by your narrow minded beliefs.

If they were actually doing their jobs they would have known the law and not interfered. They could have followd him and see if he did anything squirly then they could approach him about his gun.

While I am all for gun rights ect, I do think open carry is a bad idea, because it tells bad guys who to go after 1st, and women and men that pee sitting down get scared and call the cops on you for nothing.

Aug 23, 2000

Strapping a gun to your hip no more makes you a man than riding a bicycle makes you Lance Armstrong.

Part of being a goodd father and husband is protecting your family. Thank you can protect them with your fists or do you hope the smell of shit and piss running down your leg will run off someone intent on doing you harm.