Police Stop Man For Carrying Gun Out In Open

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Originally posted by: OCguy

Exactly. It's not a rights issue, it's a:

"Hello, 9-1-1 Emergency."

"Uh, yeah, there's this guy walking around outside and he's carrying a gun."

"...we'll send someone over."

Wow, you have no idea what you are talking about. Go to Arizona or Northern California (outside the bay area, obviously) and you will see people carrying.

Leave your little Southern California liberal puss-bubble every now and then and you will see the rest of the country does not get scared of guns the way you do.

People open-cary and concealed carry all over the country. If cops tackled every one of them because of a phone-call they would go bankrupt from litigation.

Puss-bubble - that's clever. You live 45 minutes away from here in arguably an even bigger puss bubble in the City of Orange. If you want to start slinging poorly conceived, un-creative, hastily developed insults around, you're doing it in the wrong place. What exactly constitutes a puss-bubble?

Side note: How much do you absolutely hate you job/life that you come on here to be an enormous dick all the time? Is it a lot? Are you very lonely?

Side note x2: Will you leave the state soon? I hope so.

Back on topic: You're right, the police should have showed up and compared dick sizes with the guy. Because let's face it, that's what this is all about, anyhow.

I'd say that the city of Orange definitely counts.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Puss-bubble - that's clever. You live 45 minutes away from here in arguably an even bigger puss bubble in the City of Orange. If you want to start slinging poorly conceived, un-creative, hastily developed insults around, you're doing it in the wrong place. What exactly constitutes a puss-bubble?

Side note: How much do you absolutely hate you job/life that you come on here to be an enormous dick all the time? Is it a lot? Are you very lonely?

Back on topic: You're right, the police should have showed up and compared dick sizes with the guy. Because let's face it, that's what this is all about, anyhow.

Setting aside your personal insults, ill address the bolded part.

What this is really about is that you think guns are "icky", and do not believe in the Bill of Rights.

Any gun story that comes up, you will be anti-gun. So really, your opinion on this matter is irrelevant, because no matter what, you are going to side with the gun-grabbers. You have made it clear that you do not see a need for private citizens to be armed, so you are the outlier here.

What other constitutional rights are you against?

Actually, his opinion is as relevant as yours. As is mine.

Seriously, do some traveling around the globe and you'll find that most countries aren't as full of fear and paranoia as the United Armed States of America.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: joshsquall
http://www.wisn.com/cnn-news/19235901/detail.html

Regardless of your views on gun control and private gun ownership, isn't it a little ridiculous that police take you down first and ask questions later, for doing something that's entirely legal? This is similar to pulling you over because you're black and might have drugs.

Someone saw a guy carrying a gun, freaked out and called the police. If I were a cop and showed up to investigate a guy with a gun, you're Goddamn right he's getting on the ground until I can get everything sorted out.

You liberal tendencies are clouding your judgement.

He is exercising a constitutional right that was affirmed by a court and was harassed.

I hope he sues the absolute shit out of everyone involved.

Really? What should the police have done?

How about they uphold people's rights, after all that is what they're paid to do.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Regardless of your views on gun control and private gun ownership, isn't it a little ridiculous that police take you down first and ask questions later, for doing something that's entirely legal? This is similar to pulling you over because you're black and might have drugs.

I just want to know why May, who had her gun properly holstered and why the cops felt they had to take down an old woman?

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

Someone saw a guy carrying a gun, freaked out and called the police. If I were a cop and showed up to investigate a guy with a gun, you're Goddamn right he's getting on the ground until I can get everything sorted out.

He is exercising a constitutional right that was affirmed by a court and was harassed.

How about they uphold people's rights, after all that is what they're paid to do.

Alright - finish this sentence. The police get a report that someone in public has a gun. They should _____.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

That being said: seriously - a guy who lives in Orange County calling others names based on where they live is hilarious. Seriously, do you ever stay up at night, silently weeping, wondering where it all went wrong? Trying to keep the demons at bay - wondering when you'll just finally snap and take out all of the other under-writers at work - who are all just there to work 9-5 until they die, forgotten by the world? Does alcohol help?

You get spanked in an actual arguement about facts, so you talk about me instead :roll:

No, I look around and realize I live in one of the nicest cities in the country (Anaheim Hills), but am not afraid to protect my property or my loved ones if I had to.

You have shown your gun-grabbing bias, so you really have nothing else to add on this. You agree with people exercising constitutional rights being harrassed with no proof of a crime being commited first.

You are entitled to your opinion, but according to the courts, your opinion is wrong.

Does it bother you at night that so many citizens take thier protection in their own hands, and wont wait 5+ min for the cops to show up on the off chance they hear glass break downstairs and thier daughter is upstairs sleeping?

Does it bother you that you moved from some shit-hole in Riverside to an even shittier apartment in LA that has mushrooms growing in it?

Do you lose sleep at night because gun sales have gone through the roof since Obama took office?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

What this is really about is that you think guns are "icky", and do not believe in the Bill of Rights.

Any gun story that comes up, you will be anti-gun. So really, your opinion on this matter is irrelevant, because no matter what, you are going to side with the gun-grabbers. You have made it clear that you do not see a need for private citizens to be armed, so you are the outlier here.

Seriously, do some traveling around the globe and you'll find that most countries aren't as full of fear and paranoia as the United Armed States of America.

I'm in full support of responsible gun ownership, as I am a fundamentally liberal person on social issues. The government shouldn't be in the business of telling us what to read, where we can assemble, what we can eat or put in our bodies, what we can print, or which church / worship method (or none) that we may subscribe to. I am also for fiscal responsibility in government.

As you may have guessed, I'm sickened by both political parties for utterly failing us.

Responsible gun ownership is not the problem, it's criminals. Criminals, by definition, do not follow laws. It's just as idiotic and counterproductive as the 'war on drugs'.

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004

Alright - finish this sentence. The police get a report that someone in public has a gun. They should _____.

... made sure that the 911 center was trained to ask the question "Is the man brandishing the weapon at anyone? Has he made any threatening moves with the weapon?"

If the answer to those questions goes something like "No, he's carrying his dry cleaning to his vehicle at the moment, but he does have a gun on his hip..."

Then the police should do a drive buy, perhaps check his ID against open warrants, etc but other than that they shouldn't get in a panic.

If however the answer to the 911 operator question is "Omg, he's pointing it at the manager of the dry cleaner and demanding money!" then that should provoke an obvious response from police ...

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

They should determine if the person is at a location where the right to CCW or Open Carry is limited (bank, school, etc), and if there is a description of any suspicious, erratic, or aggressive behavior. If deemed prudent, an officer may be dispatched to approach the person to calmly verify the permit to carry said weapon.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: racolvin

... made sure that the 911 center was trained to ask the question "Is the man brandishing the weapon at anyone? Has he made any threatening moves with the weapon?"

If the answer to those questions goes something like "No, he's carrying his dry cleaning to his vehicle at the moment, but he does have a gun on his hip..."

Then the police should do a drive buy, perhaps check his ID against open warrants, etc but other than that they shouldn't get in a panic.

If however the answer to the 911 operator question is "Omg, he's pointing it at the manager of the dry cleaner and demanding money!" then that should provoke an obvious response from police ...

I think that's fair - was that the case here? Do we have that information?

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004

The information in the article isn't completely specific but it reads as if the man was calmly going about his business and someone saw him and got all nervous.

Further in the article however is a quote from another police chief stating that his officers will take anyone seen with a gun down to the ground, take the gun away, etc and basically treat them as a threat until determined otherwise, which personally I would find objectionable. If Open Carry is legally permissible in the area and the police rolled up on me in full SWAT mode (guns drawn, screaming and red-faced for me to get on the ground) cuffing me and all that, I'd seriously have to consider suing the department for violating my rights.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

_______ shit there pants and send in the SWAT team ASAP. :laugh:

Openly carrying a gun isn't illegal in WI and they have no business harrassing someone who choses to do so.... UNLESS he has threatened someone or given police other reason to be concerned.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

The information in the article isn't completely specific but it reads as if the man was calmly going about his business and someone saw him and got all nervous.

Further in the article however is a quote from another police chief stating that his officers will take anyone seen with a gun down to the ground, take the gun away, etc and basically treat them as a threat until determined otherwise, which personally I would find objectionable. If Open Carry is legally permissible in the area and the police rolled up on me in full SWAT mode (guns drawn, screaming and red-faced for me to get on the ground) cuffing me and all that, I'd seriously have to consider suing the department for violating my rights.

Precisely.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

This is a domestic issue, why the F should we care what other countries do?

So the gun-grabbers are trying to take guns away, but it's the gun-lovers who are 'full of fear and paranoia'? Hmmm...

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: Mean MrMustard

So the gun-grabbers are trying to take guns away, but it's the gun-lovers who are 'full of fear and paranoia'? Hmmm...

LOL, This particular incident highlights that rather well, doesn't it!!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
So if any of you saw a couple of Hells Angels carrying guns out in the open in your Neighborhood you wouldn't call the Police? Keep in mind they have the same rights as you.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
So if any of you saw a couple of Hells Angels carrying guns out in the open in your Neighborhood you wouldn't call the Police? Keep in mind they have the same rights as you.

If I saw them commiting crimes, of course I would. If I am in a state where open-carry is legal with the correct permits, why would I call the police unless they are doing something wrong? :confused:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Nope. See that all the time. Same with my neighbors.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

No, I wouldn't call the police. If they pulled them out and started pointing them at things or shooting into the air, I would. It is perfectly legal and acceptable to open carry.

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004

Depends on if I know whether its legal to carry a firearm at all (Open Carry or Concealed) and whether or not he's politely keeping it holstered or if he's waving it around like an idiot.

Calling the police isn't really the issue here tho - its how the police react that caused the discussion isn't it? I mean if a nervous housewife calls the police saying that there are several Hells Angels (she can read the jacket) in her neighborhood carrying guns but they're not menacing with them or behaving like idiots, then the police should do just as I described earlier - do a drive by, check outstanding warrants, etc, etc.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

Obviously we should pull them over and waterboard them to see what they're really up too.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
3.2.1 before the Milwuakee PD is sued for continuing to take down those legally carrying guns.

The Police Chief is a moron. Follow the AG's ruling or prepare to lose lawsuits everytime your cops take down someone peacefully carrying openly.