Police shoot man to death at Carls Jr

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Video is taken from inside of a car w\ wet windows...
They taze him and he doesn't go down ( sweater too thick? ) and then he goes to swing whatever he has pipe/ sledge hammer at one of the cops and is shot 5 times. Then is shot 5 more times after he hits the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY5ioBvrYIg&feature=player_embedded#!

I'm going with unjustified use of force here and anxiously await all of the people posting w\ joy at the guy being killed.

I just think they should have used other non lethal methods before jumping straight to 10 gun shots. Shoot him in the leg or other non vital spots before killing him.

Stick to Call of Duty or whatever other fantasy crap you're playing. Justified shooting, plain and simple. The way I see it, the guy basically committed suicide.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Hitlers buzzsaw... modernized? :awe:

yeah it's improved and rechambered for 7.62x51 but overall it's still the same gun, we've had them for 50 years and they're still spitting out beans like it's 1945.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
tumblr_luvwjbZrEx1qk931ho1_500.jpg

find a safe spot to shoot someone... keep in mind you don't even have to hit a major artery or vein to nick it and you have to take organs into account.

even if your hand wasn't shaking, your adrenalin pumping and you had all the time in the world to aim you wouldn't be able to "shoot someone safely" in a way that would stop them.

I see it in movies all the time though..

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
The first burst of shots was debatable but I would probably give the cops the benefit of the doubt. The second burst was completely uncalled for.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
For an amateur. They're supposed to be trained professionals.

Hitting a certain spot (such as a bone in the leg) in a moving piece of paper while joking it up with your friends is rather difficult and the movement is a steady speed and only left-right. A "trained professional" attempting to shoot a real live person who is lunging with a big ass hammer at another person (that would be moving rather quickly all of a sudden) in the leg usually results in one of the following: A. miss, round goes wherever the hell it feels like possibly into an innocent person and bad guy cracks your partners skull with big ass hammer in which you are then forced to kill him as he comes after you. B. Hit but don't cause enough damage to actually stop him from cracking your partners skull open with big ass hammer. C. Hit perfectly (probably under 5% likely to happen in the real world) and completely remove the use of that leg, bad guy can still fall forward and swing big ass hammer down cracking your partners skull but he can't get up to attack the shooting officer. Bad guy lives with a limp, shooting officer goes to his buddies funeral whose wife and kids will surely understand why he chose to risk (in this case fatally) their husbands/fathers life to save the guy that killed him.

This isn't a video game. People, and this goes at least double for specific limbs on people, move very fast in tense situations. I would be very impressed if the officer hit center mass (any math nerds here that can tell us how much more area "center mass" has than your leg?) AND it doesn't move nearly as fast as legs, arms, head etc... with all of the shots he fired. I guarantee that if it was you who was about to get his head knocked off with a sledge hammer and the cop could either fire in a way that is very likely to stop him from killing you or a way that is very unlikely to stop him that you would pick the "very likely" way all day long.

Sorry, I don't know what "spot shooting" is. Is that where police shoot a guy 10 times before exhausting non fatal measures?

Non fatal measures were exhausted when the guy lunged at the cop intending to use deadly force. Period.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I was issued the MG3 (too) though (an updated version of the MG42 the germans used in WWII), it's chambered with 7.62x51.

i got to fire the Mg3 while stationed in Germany and i was beyond impressed. i was a M-60 gunner went to the 2 week M-60 machine gun school, I lived with that weapon knew it inside and out.

It is named the PIG for a reason. when i got my hands on the MG3 for a couple of hours all i could say was why in the fuck does the US not have a clone of this beautiful simplistic weapon. even the procure for barrel changes was genius.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The first burst of shots was debatable but I would probably give the cops the benefit of the doubt. The second burst was completely uncalled for.

After watching the video a few times I don't think the first set of shots are debatable at all. I was sort of thinking the same thing about the 2nd set but in heat of the moment I can understand how it would happen and what he might have been thinking.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The only clear intent to kill was from the police officer. swinging a pipe or something at somebody can be done with no expectation of killing them.

If swinging a sledge hammer at someones head can be done with no expectation of killing them (I assume because they could potentially survive) than neither is shooting someone in the chest. I personally know someone who was shot with a .45 in the chest and survived.

Not if these guys are trained to react properly... Can't blame anybody else if all they did at their shooting classes was eat krispy kremes and shoot the shit.

You have never shot a gun before have you?

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Maybe he was shooting for the leg, but the hitbox in rl is pretty bad. Need patch.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
After watching the video a few times I don't think the first set of shots are debatable at all. I was sort of thinking the same thing about the 2nd set but in heat of the moment I can understand how it would happen and what he might have been thinking.

I did say I would give the police the benefit of the doubt on the first burst. Regarding the second burst I can understand it as well but it's the officers job not to react improperly in the heat of the moment. If it was a civilian self defense situation and the shooter reacted that way it would be more understandable somewhat different.

I'm not sure what the appropriate penalty would be for the cop for the second burst given that the first was probably justified.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
I'm not saying the shooting was wrong, but why didnt they put the dog on him as soon as he walked out the door?

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
I'm going with unjustified use of force here and anxiously await all of the people posting w\ joy at the guy being killed.

I just think they should have used other non lethal methods before jumping straight to 10 gun shots. Shoot him in the leg or other non vital spots before killing him.

The guy threatened police officers that had guns drawn. What the fuck did he expect the outcome of that situation to be?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes :whiste:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
the man had no gun. this could have been handled without shooting him. tragic

He had deadly weapon and attempted deadly force.

Deadly force justified fully. This is a perfect case of a good shoot. Heck, it should be a training video of exactly what to do.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I'm not saying the shooting was wrong, but why didnt they put the dog on him as soon as he walked out the door?

Have you ever seen those videos of police dogs being trained? There's a reason why the guys being subdued wear tons of padding: even well trained dogs cause damage to the people they're forcibly subduing. If he just walked out the door and was set upon by the dog then the PD would be getting sued for excessive force and whatnot.

By the time it got to the point that non-lethal force was warranted it wasn't safe to send in the dog. You have to remember that the police dogs are officers and family to the handlers. You send in a dog in a situation like that and you run the risk of the perp pickaxing it and killing it.

Aside from things like bomb search, drug search, etc police dogs are usually used as a deterrent, community outreach, and to subdue a fleeing perp, not one brandishing a weapon. They don't exist to be sacrificed like wave after wave of Zap Branigan's troops. Real life perps won't shut down after reaching their pre-programmed kill limit.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
they probably could have just subdued him, but why risk injury or possible death of the officers over this guy? prefer him not to die, don't have much issue with the course of action.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
they probably could have just subdued him, but why risk injury or possible death of the officers over this guy? prefer him not to die, don't have much issue with the course of action.

Not trying to argue.

However at the time they probably have very little information on what exactly this dude is packing besides the metal pipe bender/axe pick, etc they can see.

Pretty sure no one wants to take the chance that when they move to tackle this dude (who has just shrugged off a tazer) that he then drops his 2-handed weapon pulls out a hidden knife and starts stabbing like no tomorrow or worse pulls out a hidden firearm, etc.

May 16, 2000
The main point here kids... pay attention... Over-reaction.

Even If we all agreed about them having the right to shoot him... 5 shots doesn't make sense. neither does 5 additional shots when he's clearly at that point fatally wounded as is.

The cop over reacted by shooting that many times. After getting shot once the guy wasn't attacker stopped. after that one, it stopped being about defense.

Actually it's under-reaction. Every officer is trained to fire three...two center mass, follow to the head. This happens in a second or less, so there is no stopping it. Most usually fire more than that due to adrenaline. It's amazing that so few rounds were fired overall.

Once you start pulling the trigger you continue to fire your 3 round groups until the target is completely neutralized. If you wait for a reaction from them you risk someone being injured or killed. There is no magic number of rounds that stops an attack. Many people have been shot upwards of a dozen times and continued to be an effective attacker. You fire until the threat is absolutely neutralized.

I'm among the first to jump a cops ass when they exceed their authority. I have called for lethal resistance against officer abuses on numerous occasions. This isn't one of those times. While I don't know the entire backstory to make a judgement as to if it should have gone this far, once it had they reacted perfectly fine. In fact, if anything they were hesitant and under-responsive.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Oh hell. If true then that pretty much seals it up as a good shoot. The shooter likely saved his partners life. Pretty good shooting as well with only his strong hand, weak hand on puppy.

Remember to train one handed folks, strong and weak hand both. No limp wristing with lefty, mmm'kay?

-edit-
watched some more, you're exactly right, you can see the officer retreating, stumbling and reaching for his weapon. 100% good shoot, proper escalation of force and justifiable defense of another officer from deadly harm.

Total agreement. People will say too many shots now... not sure that even matters. We can't see the guy completely behind the car, but he was still up and apparently there was reason enough for more than just the first 5 shots and I'm OK with that.

I'd hate to be the cop that has to tell the wife of the officer with a pickaxe to the brain that I wished I had taken the shot.

As for the you should have winged him crowd... perhaps the first 5 shots fired were all non lethal and the guy continued to swing/reach for his weapon/s which imo would justify a fucking head shot at that point. You lose all rights to a fair hanging once the first bullet hits you and you continue the behavior that just got you shot.

Last edited:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
You always train to fire as many shots as possible, as quickly as possible. Notice the officer also was advancing as he was shooting. Once lethal force is needed (and we've already established the other officers life was in imminent danger), it is supposed to be lethal force. If they guy happens to live, lucky for him. If not, that is the expected outcome of LETHAL force.

By. The. Book.

Agreeing 100% with this.