pole on number of gun owners in AT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

franksta

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
I own 4 guns. My wife doesn't really care that I own them but isn't really interested in them. No kids.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Trigger locks are a joke.

Gun safe is the only way to go when you have kids in the house.

That and teaching proper respect and use for firearms

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'd like to get a class IV permit but everything I've heard about the process says $$$$$$$.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Surprised at the results so far. Well, maybe... I know gun owners would definitely click this thread, but what about the others ?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I have 2 pistols, two 12ga. shotguns (one stock for hunting and one highly modified), an AK-47 and an AR-15 clone.

Personally, I love anti-gun people. When all hell breaks loose they give the bad guys plenty of targets therefore they don't mess with those of us who are armed.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I own one, but it's a .22 rifle. :eek: Don't laugh at me. I'll probably buy more at some point, but living in NJ there aren't many places to shoot anyway. :(

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Swiss K31 - Gun case
Finnish Mosin Nagant - Gun case
Ruger 10/22 - Gun case
Mossberg 500 12 ga - Loaded, under the bed
Winchester Winder Musket - At parents' place
AR-15 M4gery - Gun case w/4 loaded mags
Colt Python - Loaded, in bedroom
CZ-75B SA - Loaded, follows me around the apartment

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have a gun, no sigO, and no kids. Nothing to worry about there.

Once I have kids, I plan on having all guns locked up until they reach the age where I can begin teaching them about the weapon. The worst thing you can do is hide it from your kids and tell them to never touch it...that just makes it all the more enticing to them.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I just own one. A S&W 686+ 357 mag revolver.
My GF wants to get her FOID so she can shoot it at the range to let off some steam.

I don't think she has ANY problem with it.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Seeing some AK-47 responses reminds me of a story a friend told me.

He lived in an isolated farm in Iowa and had bought a chinesse knock-off ak-47. After firing it a couple times he experienced a firing mechanism jam were it expended the rest of the mag. He could not produce the auto fire on demand, but it would happen enough that he knew when he pulled the trigger to be prepared to discharge the entire mag.

I believe he also started to short load his clips after that. :)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: lupi

He lived in an isolated farm in Iowa and had bought a chinesse knock-off ak-47. After firing it a couple times he experienced a firing mechanism jam were it expended the rest of the mag. He could not produce the auto fire on demand, but it would happen enough that he knew when he pulled the trigger to be prepared to discharge the entire mag.

Most semi-autos can be relatively easily modified to do this. It is of course a great way to end up in jail.

I'm not going to find you an example for fear of tripping the internet filters at work but a quick google images search for "full auto sear vs semi-auto" yields lots of examples.

As for the poll, yes I own a gun. Only one at the moment after giving my Benelli 12-gauge to my brother.

My g/f would be pissed if I tried to get rid of it, she wants it by the bed at all times (slightly paranoid).

Viper GTS

Gneisenau

May 30, 2007
2 1911 .45 ACP
1 sig .45 acp
1 sig 9mm
1 colt .380 mustang II
1 .22 ruger pistol
1 .357 SW 686 4"
2 12 Ga. Shotguns, one pump the other a single shot trap set up
1 .22 ruger 10/22 heavy barreled with scope.
1 .308 Browning A-bolt Varmint with BOSS and 20X scope ( I used to be able to shoot sub 15" groups with this at 800 yards. Sub 3/8" groups at 100 yards. Now I am probably lucky to hit the bullseye at 100 yards.)
Used to be an avid shooter. I even sat on the BOD of a gun range. I haven't shot in a about 5 years now since I moved and haven't found a place I like to shoot since.
I have never been much of a hunter but have no problems with hunters. I like to punch paper, pepper poppers/falling plates and clay targets.
Spent 4 years being trained in their use for defensive purposes. Classes were held every 3 months for one-two days. Average day was 400+ rounds expended. Frankly, after the first several classes, it became more of a sport for me and a place to meet up with friends and shoot. But, I still learned somthing new every class.

I keep my .45 acp combat commander loaded and in a quick safe by my bed. All others are in safes or locked cases.

I'm not a rabid pro-gunner, but I do believe in the 2nd amendment and belive it allows us all to own guns. I will never vote in gun restrictions.

On a side it, it's been so long since I shot trap, I can't remember the combination to my trap gun's case.......:/

alexeikgb

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2004
I've got several... and will be getting more soon

3 SKSs - All Yugo
1 Chinese AK - Mak 90
1 .22 Ruger Mark III

GRIFFIN1

Golden Member
Nov 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Nope, I don't see a reason for myself to own one.

That's a good call. I own guns, but I don't see a reason for other people to own them.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: upsciLLion
Originally posted by: K1052
Originally posted by: upsciLLion
Finnish Mosin Nagant

What kind?

M39 VKT built on a pre-1899 receiver.

Nice, I have a M39 SAKO on a 1897 Tula receiver.
By pure luck a couple years ago I stumbled on to a SIG barreled M28 also on a 1897 Tula.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
my wife sorta reminds me of that chik from T2...
we have no problem owning guns...

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Bushmaster AR-15
Steyr M40
Walther P99 40
SKS
Winchester 270
Savage Model 99 308

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: lupi

Most semi-autos can be relatively easily modified to do this. It is of course a great way to end up in jail.

I'm not going to find you an example for fear of tripping the internet filters at work but a quick google images search for "full auto sear vs semi-auto" yields lots of examples.

As for the poll, yes I own a gun. Only one at the moment after giving my Benelli 12-gauge to my brother.

My g/f would be pissed if I tried to get rid of it, she wants it by the bed at all times (slightly paranoid).

Viper GTS

lol my ex wife was the same way. before we had kids that could crawl, she would keep my sks with a 50 rd mag leaning up against the bed on her side with the bolt locked back. if she needed it, all she had to do was tap the butt on the floor and it would chamber a round. this was her security system while i traveled for work. one time a not so normal maintenance guy tapped on the door and said maintenance, but she didnt wake up until he opened the bedroom door. he was supposed to be working on the kitchen sink, so that was weird already. she sat up, grabbed it and stuck the barrel in his face. he never entered without banging and yelling on the door after that.

i own 3 firearms. the sks, a P89 ruger 9mm and a browning two piece .22 rifle. the 22 has never been fired, i got it as a gift a while back from my step dad. he got it from his dad when he died, his dad never fired it. it was still in the original packing. i still think about taking it out, but its pretty old and in perfect condition... tough choice there. my SO didnt have any issues with guns, she took one of them when she left me. :brokenheart:

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Own several. When I was growing up my dad also owned a few guns. He didn't use a safe or anything. He had a 9mm and .38 which he left it in a drawer by his bed. We weren't allowed to play with it alone though. He also had a .22 rifle that he left out in the open. He did show us how to use both the rifle and the handguns. I guess he's old fashion that way.

There are more kids getting accidentally killed with kitchen knifes than handguns.. but there always seems to be such a fuss w/ kids and firearms...