Poal: King of Condiments?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Undisputed heavyweight champion of condiments is....

• ketchup

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • mustard (any type)

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • BBQ (sauce, rubbings, etc)

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • mayo

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • hot sauce (any type)

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Latino (salsa, adobo, pico de gallo, etc)

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Indian (curry, chutney, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sweet or astringent (maple syrup, malt vinegar, pepper jelly, etc)

• Asian (sweet and sour, wasabi, fish sauce, etc)

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • specialty sauce (tartar, worchestshire, etc).

• Total voters

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Wow have we got some weirdos here !

The undisputed king of condiments is obviously Ketchup; less obviously, Jufran banana ketchup (hot).

A Ketchup without tomato!, you say?

61C%2BbkPiNmL.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Wow have we got some weirdos here !

The undisputed king of condiments is obviously Ketchup; less obviously, Jufran banana ketchup (hot).

A Ketchup without tomato!, you say?

61C%2BbkPiNmL.jpg
Is it sweet? I'm tired of everything having to be sweet.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Is it sweet? I'm tired of everything having to be sweet.
... i'm gonna say YES, but not "this has sugar in it" sweet like your typical no-brand ketchup. More like "it's made of fruit" sweet.

Let's just say, this thing humiliates ketchup - if you have ever tolerated ketchup on, say, a chicken burger, you owe it to yourself to try it just once.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
What is wrong with horseradish? Or even mushroom ketchup?
Mushroom ketchup (the original thing that ketchup was made with) can only be found in super-expensive artisan brands and thats why ive never even tasted it - so i cant say.

Horseradish iz 2stronk.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
wtf man, is your throat lined with lead? El Yukateco red isn't mild....you're trying to compare it to Texas Pete? lol.
I said "somewhat mild" ... which I believe to be pretty accurate for a hot sauce with only 5-6K scoville.

Given that the condiment is only like a small fraction of the total mass of the food, it gets very diluted, thus, why I usually use slightly hotter stuff.
I'm not crazy though, I don't eat Carolina Reapers straight up like these absolutely amazing human beings!

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
This stuff is also awesome. It's not that hot, but great for drowning fajitas and stuff.

416AbCe8B3L.jpg

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
So what is the best Horseradish?
the straight up stuff; not the creamy stuff. I have a jar in my fridge that I put on roastbeef and burgers and whatnot. Goes good when making homemade burgers (beef or turkey) by mixing it in the meat.

Reactions: whm1974

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
What kind of hot sauce? I like a nice HOT salsa for most things, but ketchup for hamburger, Heinz 57 for steak, Sriracha for asian style foods.
If I could have only one, it would be Tabasco. It has the most versatility. Otherwise, I always have a decent selection to choose from. If I could have only four, it would Tropical Pepper Co 4x habanero, Tabasco, El Yucateco green, and probably Tropical Pepper Co ghost chili or scorpion sauce for something really hot.

For your list above, the burger gets El Yucateco, the steak and Asian get Tabasco, and sriracha can go fuck itself. I think Americans are obsessed with sriracha because it's sweet as shit. It's a third rate sauce that has few uses. I'll use it sometimes if it's the only choice, and it isn't too bad on a burger, especially if you're comparing it to ketchup(which isn't bad comparison, since it's basically a better ketchup), but not worth the shelf space at my house.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
If I could have only one, it would be Tabasco. It has the most versatility. Otherwise, I always have a decent selection to choose from. If I could have only four, it would Tropical Pepper Co 4x habanero, Tabasco, El Yucateco green, and probably Tropical Pepper Co ghost chili or scorpion sauce for something really hot.

For your list above, the burger gets El Yucateco, the steak and Asian get Tabasco, and sriracha can go fuck itself. I think Americans are obsessed with sriracha because it's sweet as shit. It's a third rate sauce that has few uses. I'll use it sometimes if it's the only choice, and it isn't too bad on a burger, especially if you're comparing it to ketchup(which isn't bad comparison, since it's basically a better ketchup), but not worth the shelf space at my house.

I'm not a big fan of sriracha. It's good but you really need to put a lot of it on/in whatever you're eating, and it quickly becomes nauseating. Cholulu is far better.

Reactions: lxskllr

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not a big fan of sriracha. It's good but you really need to put a lot of it on/in whatever you're eating, and it quickly becomes nauseating. Cholulu is far better.
Meh, if you like Cholula you should try Tapatio.