Plus Size is anything above a 14.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The average American woman is 16 and above.

I kinda wish we'd put more money into education about diet and exercise, instead of just making bigger and bigger clothes.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Zorba

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

I kinda wish we'd put more money into education about diet and exercise, instead of just making bigger and bigger clothes.
Drop dead.

We are also allot taller then our predessors.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Food rationing would be a national diet plan.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

What size would you take in women's clothing?

It's not like American men (or men worldwide) are any skinnier.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I could really get into trouble with this topic. I have so many female friends that post stuff about "being comfortable with the body they have" meaning they don't want to do the work it takes to not be fat. Then they post pictures of hot dishes and huge ice cream cones and recipes. I've heard all of the arguments that a person can be overweight, yet healthier than a skinny person.

However the bottom line is that if you are overweight and have too much body fat, it's still an incredible burden for your joints, your internal organs probably have layers of ugly yellow fat around them making their function more difficult, and your resting pulse is likely too high as the heart has to work harder to keep blood flowing throughout the body. But feel free to call me the fat shamer if it makes you feel better about being fat. And that goes for men too, but men generally know they are fat and don't give a shit.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
A fat chick will spend 2 hours a day doing their makeup and hair to "look good" but won't spend 30 minutes a day exercising which would make them look better.

I just got back from Puerto Rico and while waiting for my flight out of BWI to SJU I noticed just how fat everyone getting on the plane was. I noticed this because it was just my wife and I and I was wondering who the hell was going to sit next to us and was hoping like 90% of the other passengers wouldn't sit next to us, male and female. Thankfully the flight wasn't full so we had our own row.

Then while at our hotel there, we were with another couple, and my friend was mentioning how the whole time he never saw anyone that "looks" like they workout. And then I thought about that as well and didn't either. We both exercise and are in good physical shape too, but damn there are so many fat people in our country.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
A fat chick will spend 2 hours a day doing their makeup and hair to "look good" but won't spend 30 minutes a day exercising which would make them look better.
Humans in general have problems with putting effort into something that does not show short term gains.

And let's face it, working out is not the real solution here. Losing weight requires much more then a few hours a week. It requires a change in lifestyle. Something most people are incapable of, mostly because our society does not want them to.
There is simply too much money in selling people all that junk food, and getting them sit and watch commercials, and having them sit for hours on end answering phones or manipulating numbers on a spreadsheet. We built a society that focuses on eating easy high calorie meals while sitting in comfortable chairs watching endless commercials for hours on end, and we are somehow surprised that everyone is fat.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Humans in general have problems with putting effort into something that does not show short term gains.

And let's face it, working out is not the real solution here. Losing weight requires much more then a few hours a week. It requires a change in lifestyle. Something most people are incapable of, mostly because our society does not want them to.
There is simply too much money in selling people all that junk food, and getting them sit and watch commercials, and having them sit for hours on end answering phones or manipulating numbers on a spreadsheet. We built a society that focuses on eating easy high calorie meals while sitting in comfortable chairs watching endless commercials for hours on end, and we are somehow surprised that everyone is fat.
Yes, humans are general lazy by nature. I agree with that.

And I agree that losing weight requires more than working out and is more about diet.

And then everything you said literally goes back to people being lazy.

Reactions: thilanliyan

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, working out for 30 minutes in a day is going to burn what, 100-200 calories? Yes, that's nice and all, but easily eradicated by a single snack or beverage.
I lost a lot of weight over the past decade, and I got asked SO MANY times how I did it, and I kept telling people "I ate less". Went from consuming 3000-4000+ per day down to 1800-2000 most days, and now weigh a bit over half what I used to.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

And I agree that losing weight requires more than working out and is more about diet.

Eh, it's not as simple as "everyone is lazy", the food and marketing industries are working hard to sell as much product as they can, and using their understanding of the human psyche to do so.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

What I am trying to point out is that making major life changes is close to impossible for most people. It requires that you build a support network to reward positive behavior and discourage negative behavior. Our society actively works to undermine such support networks. It actively encourages the worst behaviors while punishing the positive ones.

This is not just about losing weight or getting fit. We see this in nearly every single situation where someone needs to make a major life change. Most fail, repeatedly, even with professional help, even when it is forced on them by circumstances out of their control. The patterns of our life are so ingrained in our concept of ourselves that changing them requires that we change who we are. That is something much more fundamental then just being lazy.

If we want to have a more healthy society we need to build one that supports healthy life patterns and instill that in people when they are young, so that they build self identity that includes healthy lifestyles.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah, working out for 30 minutes in a day is going to burn what, 100-200 calories? Yes, that's nice and all, but easily eradicated by a single snack or beverage.
I lost a lot of weight over the past decade, and I got asked SO MANY times how I did it, and I kept telling people "I ate less". Went from consuming 3000-4000+ per day down to 1800-2000 most days, and now weigh a bit over half what I used to.
Depends how hard you workout. You can do HIIT for 10 minutes and burn more than that. Also depends how much the person weighs.

And burning an extra 200 calories a day is a great start for someone to start to try and lose weight. It's also not just about the calories you burn while working out. It will help your metabolism, heart rate, make you think about not eating that snack later on, etc. There is a lot more to it than just burning calories.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
However the bottom line is that if you are overweight and have too much body fat, it's still an incredible burden for your joints, your internal organs probably have layers of ugly yellow fat around them making their function more difficult, and your resting pulse is likely too high as the heart has to work harder to keep blood flowing throughout the body. But feel free to call me the fat shamer if it makes you feel better about being fat. And that goes for men too, but men generally know they are fat and don't give a shit.
Better to have ugly fat around your joints then a ugly mind like yours.

This statement says more about you then it does about anyone else. Your misogynistic viewpoint on life, your appearances first mentality, your inability comprehend anyone outside of your experience, and your innate insecurity which you demonstrated by your general need to feel superior to your fellow human beings.

Working hard there while posting shit on the internet, eh?

You are just projecting your own laziness on everyone else. Most people work far harder then you ever will.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Better to have ugly fat around your joints then a ugly mind like yours.

This statement says more about you then it does about anyone else. Your misogynistic viewpoint on life, your appearances first mentality, your inability comprehend anyone outside of your experience, and your innate insecurity which you demonstrated by your general need to feel superior to your fellow human beings.

Working hard there while posting shit on the internet, eh?

You are just projecting your own laziness on everyone else. Most people work far harder then you ever will.
Yeah I'm so lazy.

I got up at 6am and started working, went to the gym at 9am and exercised for 75 minutes, came back and am working until 5pm then I get to take over daddy duty while my wife gets time away from the kiddos.

I am such a lazy fuck!

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Depends how hard you workout. You can do HIIT for 10 minutes and burn more than that. Also depends how much the person weighs.

oh, fucking bullshit.

The only time I lost weight to exercise is when I worked the line in a refrigerated cheese factory. I put in a 10 hours shift 5 days a week lifting two 40 pound blocks of cheese on the line every 15 seconds in a 35F fridge.

You do not even know what exercise means you lazy piece of shit.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I got up at 6am and started working, went to the gym at 9am and exercised for 75 minutes, came back and am working until 5pm then I get to take over daddy duty while my wife gets time away from the kiddos.
lucky you, you get to work a single job behind a computer!

Yep, your a lazy fuck.

Lose the partner, get another kid, and pick up three 28 hour a week part time jobs like everyone your insulting. Then you will know what work means.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Food rationing would be a national diet plan.
Nope. The problem is not quantity, its quality.
Starch and sugar are much cheaper to produce and the final products are much cheaper. Your chips, cookies, crackers, cakes, candy and other junk food all fall into this category. Not the least of which is the alleged nutritional bars, that are basically just a pile of starch with some sugar mixed in. And not only are they unhealthy, they are a poor bargain for your money compared to chips and cookies and crackers.

Conversely black beans are like half protein and half fiber, and much cheaper than most things in the grocery store, except big bags of rice or potatoes.

Reactions: Leeea

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Yeah ditch the woman part. People in general are way bigger, and way fatter, than ever before.

This isn't a good thing (the fatter part).

Losing weight for most people (medical conditions aside) is simple. It's also difficult. Those are not in conflict.

We know we need to eat less, and eat healthier. Most people will be in better shape if they do. But it's very, very difficult. It's similar to facebook, which is engineered to keep people engaged and coming back--food has been engineered to keep us coming back. There are armies of flavor scientists working for food companies doing one thing--making something even more irresistible than the competition's food. If the food today had been available 100 years ago, they'd have been fat too--though there was a LOT more manual labor happening to burn off some of these calories.

It was interesting visiting China a decade ago. The older folks are almost all thin there. The only fat people I tended to see were the young people--and guess who eats at all the new (newer then) fast food restaurants like KFC, Pizza Hut and McDs that I saw everywhere there? When we'd go to restaurants with my wife's relatives and friends (all middle aged and older) the food was almost entirely vegetables. Not that much rice or noodles, not much meat. Let me tell you I had a hard time finding non-healthy food to eat! (I don't like the taste or texture of veggies...so I'm a good case in point for what's wrong with people's eating habits!) When I flew back into Jersey after two weeks in China it looked like everyone had been inflated with balloons, it was fricking weird....

I've found that if I stick with the principle of: eat only what a grandma would recognize as "food" then I do better. It takes a while to get unhooked from salt and sugar and nutritionless food. it's hard when you have a family and hectic schedule. Once I haven't had "bad" food for a bit I lose the cravings for it somewhat.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I could really get into trouble with this topic. I have so many female friends that post stuff about "being comfortable with the body they have" meaning they don't want to do the work it takes to not be fat. Then they post pictures of hot dishes and huge ice cream cones and recipes. I've heard all of the arguments that a person can be overweight, yet healthier than a skinny person.

Theres literally dozens of documentaries and thousands of books on this subject but I'll repeat some of it. After WW2 life started getting easier for the average American and the industry started grinding out way more cheap high calorie food than ever before. Gun factories were converted to cookie factories, and so forth. There were TV dinners and ready made cakes and all kinds of other crap. We've all been getting much heavier since then. People can rationalize it all they want but the truth is they eat more processed starch and sugar than ever before.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
oh, fucking bullshit.

The only time I lost weight to exercise is when I worked the line in a refrigerated cheese factory. I put in a 10 hours shift 5 days a week lifting two 40 pound blocks of cheese on the line every 15 seconds in a 35F fridge.

You do not even know what exercise means you lazy piece of shit.
That's cause you're a lazy fatty who can't control what they eat and too lazy to exercise.

Reactions: nOOky

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah ditch the woman part. People in general are way bigger, and way fatter, than ever before.

This isn't a good thing (the fatter part).

Losing weight for most people (medical conditions aside) is simple. It's also difficult. Those are not in conflict.

We know we need to eat less, and eat healthier. Most people will be in better shape if they do. But it's very, very difficult. It's similar to facebook, which is engineered to keep people engaged and coming back--food has been engineered to keep us coming back. There are armies of flavor scientists working for food companies doing one thing--making something even more irresistible than the competition's food. If the food today had been available 100 years ago, they'd have been fat too--though there was a LOT more manual labor happening to burn off some of these calories.

It was interesting visiting China a decade ago. The older folks are almost all thin there. The only fat people I tended to see were the young people--and guess who eats at all the new (newer then) fast food restaurants like KFC, Pizza Hut and McDs that I saw everywhere there? When we'd go to restaurants with my wife's relatives and friends (all middle aged and older) the food was almost entirely vegetables. Not that much rice or noodles, not much meat. Let me tell you I had a hard time finding non-healthy food to eat! (I don't like the taste or texture of veggies...so I'm a good case in point for what's wrong with people's eating habits!) When I flew back into Jersey after two weeks in China it looked like everyone had been inflated with balloons, it was fricking weird....

Well if you read the article, which I'm guessing no did except me, it was about womens clothes and sizes and womens body fat acceptance. Women have it harder because of societies pressures and now theres a movement to love bigger women cuz its supposedly a good thing. The various health concerns with excess body fat tell me its not a good thing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well if you read the article, which I'm guessing no did except me, it was about womens clothes and sizes and womens body fat acceptance. Women have it harder because of societies pressures and now theres a movement to love bigger women cuz its supposedly a good thing. The various health concerns with excess body fat tell me its not a good thing.
Yeah this has been going on for a while.

Was it Victoria's Secret that had those adds with the bigger women in them? I remember there being outrage over it.

I also don't think every person has to look like a supermodel though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

And burning an extra 200 calories a day is a great start for someone to start to try and lose weight. It's also not just about the calories you burn while working out. It will help your metabolism, heart rate, make you think about not eating that snack later on, etc. There is a lot more to it than just burning calories.
Hm, I'm not seeing anything that says you can burn more than 200 calories in 10 minutes of HIIT (unless you weigh 350 lbs, and it's probably going to be tough to manage if you weight 350)

You're overselling it a bit. I don't care for working out, so I just try to walk a total of 3+ miles per day and do planks, and I have all those benefits. What works for you (and what works for me) is not universal. Diet is vastly more important, and working out sucks (for many people), in addition to requiring time and dedication.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yes I think Victorias Secret recently changed their image. I mean, recent in fashion terms, like a few years ago I think. They had been pushing the anorexic eastern european look for decades, so I understand there would be some backlash against them sooner or later.

2018 apparently. And of course theres the counter backlash movement, saying VS is not and never will be the instrument of change in the fashion industry.