Plus Size is anything above a 14.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
That doesn't really seem fair, does it? A 4X t-shirt probably needs 3 times more cloth than an XS... why should it cost the same?

I guess that the material doesn't really matter all that much, as almost everything at Old Navy is made in an Asian sweatshop. The cost of goods sold probably varies from $2.50 to $3.50.
Realistically, the cost of the materials is an exceedingly small percentage of factory -> floor costs. Most of it is shipping.

It's seriously like 10c of fabric. It's basically free to manufacture.

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong, it's ~33c as of 2018.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Every single one of you needs to stop posting on forums, go to your local community college, enroll, and take Econ 101.

The cost of production has nothing to do with the cost of purchase.
What people are willing to pay for a product is directly related to the utility they will get for it, or what they believe they will get for it.
It doesnt matter if a large t-shirt takes 10 times the cotton of a small t-shirt. It provides roughly the same utility to the user in either size. And thats what they are paying for.

Coca-Cola sells for a 9000 percent profit.
Toyotas sell for a 5 percent profit.
Playstations lose money on each sale.

Supply
Demand
Equilibrium

Go study.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Put a taboo on sugary and carb ridden foods like they have done for meat and fat and that would start having an impact on the morbidly obese. These are the foods that are the easiest to put down the chute because they are generally desirable to eat and satiation wanes the fastest. Now, that will never happen because there is a systemic conflict of interest in nearly all levels of the system. There's a need for MANY companies to pump up their profits, starting with the cereal that is way, way, way undeserving of being a breakfast staple. Counter-intuitively, going full meat and veggies with no starches unless absolutely necessary might result in less obesity than devouring all that bread, spaghetti, etc. And even nutritionists/scientists got monetary interests to make sure not to taboo carbs but rather emphasize exercise. The wheat farmer, also would be against the taboo'ing of starches..

Emphasizing dentally unharmful foods would also go a VERY long way as well, especially if the research show that p. gingivalis has a causal effect on Alzheimer's and dementia, the incentive to eat dentally healthy would then lead to other healthy outcomes.

Up to a point, weight becomes indeterminate in being a guide for health and becomes a danger of inflicting mental health harm on people who are just a tad "bigger" but not morbidly obese. These people should be accommodated with plus size clothing. Putting them down for not having a Gisele Bundchen level of thin does not help matters for such people.

Reactions: Leeea

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
My point is it's doable. And anyone can do it if they put in the effort.

I know the kind of effort it takes because I know how to lose/gain weight and have done it many times. I never said it was easy. But ANYONE can do it. It's just easier NOT to do it.

Anyone? 67 years old, torn Achilles’ tendon on one leg, knee on other leg needing replacement because the “repaired” torn meniscus wasn’t.

Even cycling hurts like hell. Walking is difficult as is standing for more than a couple of minutes.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Anyone? 67 years old, torn Achilles’ tendon on one leg, knee on other leg needing replacement because the “repaired” torn meniscus wasn’t.

Even cycling hurts like hell. Walking is difficult as is standing for more than a couple of minutes.
Anyone can diet though!

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000

Calories in calories out. You do not have to exercise to lose weight. You just have to eat less calories than your body burns. Look up TDEE calculator put in no activity get rough idea of calories. Depending on how over weight you are subtract 500 - 1000 calories from your baseline consume that and you'll lose 1 - 2 lbs. a week depending on your chosen deficit/how accurate the calculator was and how accurate you count calories.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Speaking very briefly for women everywhere, having a universal sizing system that's actually accurate across brands, and even across offerings within the same brand, would be wonderful. Can't even tell you the number of times sizes have just been wrong for my GF. Less of an issue for me.

Oh, and give them actual pockets too.

Related, my GF and I have been on a calorie restrictive diet for the last year, or so, we're ~45 lbs down. Not sure how far we're going, but at least another 30lbs to go.

The pockets thing with women’s clothing is a male dictated thing, mostly based on control. Otherwise, why do women have to carry a freaking purse to carry anything while men seem able to function in life using just their pockets.

When my wife and I shop together, I’m the one who carries the crap in my pockets because it’s rather stupid for her to have to drag a purse around just to keep her wallet/cc’s/ID/etc handy while I carry the same crap in one pocket.

Just another way men try to control women.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

I'm sure you can still eat just fine. Otherwise you wouldn't be here.

As the saying goes, abs are made in the kitchen.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Calories in calories out. You do not have to exercise to lose weight. You just have to eat less calories than your body burns. Look up TDEE calculator put in no activity get rough idea of calories. Depending on how over weight you are subtract 500 - 1000 calories from your baseline consume that and you'll lose 1 - 2 lbs. a week depending on your chosen deficit/how accurate the calculator was and how accurate you count calories.

All those classes I took in college (nursing school), like anatomy and physiology, microbiology, nutrition, etc. I guess were deficient in covering any of that…but I thank you for your “input”.

Last edited:

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
I understand the basics of that. All those classes I took in college (nursing school), like anatomy and physiology, microbiology, nutrition, etc. sorta all covered that…but I thank you for your “input”.

You acted like you have to be able to exercise to lose weight that you can't do it because you can't exercise. You made it seem like you didn't understand why you're fat so if you understand why are you?

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Like purbeast said abs are made in the kitchen, I haven't been able to work out for 6 months because of an injury but I still got ab definition because I watch what I eat.

The whole calorie in calorie out thing is so hard to understand for so many people yet its so easy. I watched my mom do all the diets growing up weightwatches atkins still to this day shes trying, she eats salads lean meats almost exclusively. Yet she still eats so called "diet" snacks. The ones that are supposed to be healthy but they're chock full of sugar. I lost my extra weight 3 years ago she always asked how I did it how I keep it off. Mom its really simple eat less than you burn. She still doesn't get it, she will try some new fad diet on facebook will count weight watchers points but will not count calories most likely because shed have to give up the diet snacks that are only such and such weight watchers points.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Every single one of you needs to stop posting on forums, go to your local community college, enroll, and take Econ 101.

The cost of production has nothing to do with the cost of purchase.
What people are willing to pay for a product is directly related to the utility they will get for it, or what they believe they will get for it.
It doesnt matter if a large t-shirt takes 10 times the cotton of a small t-shirt. It provides roughly the same utility to the user in either size. And thats what they are paying for.

Coca-Cola sells for a 9000 percent profit.
Toyotas sell for a 5 percent profit.
Playstations lose money on each sale.

Supply
Demand
Equilibrium

Go study.

It's not that simple though, is it? We've had "Big and Tall" clothing retailers like Casual Male charge an additional 50% markup on plus size clothes for years, mostly because department stores didn't carry them in stock.

Internet retailers are probably helping to put that shady practice out of business, since Amazon has space in their warehouse to store all the sizes.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I make and bring my own lunches to work. I often walk or workout on my lunch break. I then eat at my desk after while I'm working. Of course the guys that go out for lunch everyday take exception with that, but fuck 'em.
Same here. I bring in leftovers in single size Tupperware and eat at my desk. Try to get a one mile walk in during the lunch hour. Also try not to have any carb-laden snacks in the office, fruit only.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
There's also fiber in fruit, which slows the uptake of the sugar.
Which helps regulate blood sugar, and does dick all to mitigate your caloric intake.

You're still consuming sugar. If you're specifically trying to avoid sugar, eating fruit isn't really helping your cause.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Which helps regulate blood sugar, and does dick all to mitigate your caloric intake.

You're still consuming sugar. If you're specifically trying to avoid sugar, eating fruit isn't really helping your cause.
He didn't say he's trying to avoid sugar though.

He said he's avoiding carb-laiden snacks in the office. It was pretty obvious he was referring to empty nutritional snacks like chips, cookies, candy, etc. Anyone who's ever worked in an office and has a "snack area" knows what kind of snacks are hanging around.

From your posts it's clear that you look at stuff in a black/white manner, which is not a good way to approach nutrition.

Reactions: Zorba

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Yes, it's still sugar. I would still recommend an apple + water over soda though.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Outdated menu?

The ae in the URL https://www.mcdonalds.com/ae indicates that's not the US website. Go ahead and try to order a salad from your local McDonald's.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The pockets thing with women’s clothing is a male dictated thing, mostly based on control. Otherwise, why do women have to carry a freaking purse to carry anything while men seem able to function in life using just their pockets.

When my wife and I shop together, I’m the one who carries the crap in my pockets because it’s rather stupid for her to have to drag a purse around just to keep her wallet/cc’s/ID/etc handy while I carry the same crap in one pocket.

Just another way men try to control women.
Purses actually started out life as proto-fanny packs, pockets that women could tie on :D
I'm sure you can still eat just fine. Otherwise you wouldn't be here.

As the saying goes, abs are made in the kitchen.
I discovered this when my abs started showing up (although the planks surely play a role here), it was a bit of a surprise since all I was trying to do was build some core muscle to make burning calories easier.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
He didn't say he's trying to avoid sugar though.

He said he's avoiding carb-laiden snacks in the office. It was pretty obvious he was referring to empty nutritional snacks like chips, cookies, candy, etc. Anyone who's ever worked in an office and has a "snack area" knows what kind of snacks are hanging around.

From your posts it's clear that you look at stuff in a black/white manner, which is not a good way to approach nutrition.
Fruit is literally a carb-laden snack, what the shit was I supposed to think? And what exactly makes you think I see stuff in a black/white manner? You're the one that's been bitching at fatties being lazy through this whole thread.
Yes, it's still sugar. I would still recommend an apple + water over soda though.
So would I! I can't eat them though :( fructose sensitivity.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

My dilemma, at this point. Have an appointment Sep. one to have my left knee looked at. I already had the inner meniscus removed a few years back. The knee lets me know, more and more lately, that it doesn't like my walks to the point I only do them every other day. I really don't want a new knee but I'm not going to avoid it if it's the only way I can remain active. Yep, golden years my ass.