Planetside 2..Free to play..and looking awesome so far!

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Should help bring balance, nothing but air/armor battles surrounding the crown on waterson.

I have fun at the Crown, but I would love to have some counter to the "Surround TI Alloys with Prowlers" tactic that seems to be the only thing in the TR playbook.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Yeah Crown fighting is fun, but it always seems to be that the faction that holds the Crown is destined to lose the rest of the map. Honestly Indar needs a redesign, way too many bases bunched together. You know it's cramped when you can shoot at an outpost from another outpost.

Also, my first thought at seeing the cloaked Flash ability was having an infiltrator pull a Flash while a heavy rides in the back. Cloak and sneak up on tanks. :D

Last edited:

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
So what is a better server for balanced (all faction) gameplay, Waterson or Matterson? I keep hearing how the TR zerg dominates one server over the other and vice versa.

Last edited:

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
So what is a better server for balanced (all faction) gameplay, Waterson or Matterson? I keep hearing how the TR zerg dominates one server over the other and vice versa.

The TR zerg dominates Waterson, and when they don't the NC zerg does. Vanu seem to be down for the count over the last week population-wise.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Anyone else getting a 1.8GB install today? I didn't see anything in the news feed about an update, so I'm a little stumped at why I'm getting this install.

Edit: nm, it's there in the feed. Big freaking patch.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Interesting changes inbound for how hexes connect. Should results in more fights and the fights carrying on from base to base.

Okay, so... you are able to read the forums?

For more than a month, I've only seen the "forums under maintenance" screen. I've checked frequently, because some aspects of the forums provide great reading (like the update info).

What gives?!

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Okay, so... you are able to read the forums?

For more than a month, I've only seen the "forums under maintenance" screen. I've checked frequently, because some aspects of the forums provide great reading (like the update info).

What gives?!

I've been able to read them. I haven't logged in because I haven't cared to post anything yet, but I can read them fine.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I've been able to read them. I haven't logged in because I haven't cared to post anything yet, but I can read them fine.

It's apparently only refusing to cooperate with Chrome on my system. I just never tried another browser, didn't think it would get all funky like that.

Anyone else use Chrome able to confirm it working or not working? It loads up in firefox for me.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's apparently only refusing to cooperate with Chrome on my system. I just never tried another browser, didn't think it would get all funky like that.

Anyone else use Chrome able to confirm it working or not working? It loads up in firefox for me.

No problem with chrome (mobile or desktop) for me. Can read, log in or post.

You got any funky ad block filters going on?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
No problem with chrome (mobile or desktop) for me. Can read, log in or post.

You got any funky ad block filters going on?

Nope.

It used to work fine. Then I got a forum maintenance thing, and for awhile I didn't think anything of it. I started getting curious recently, but never followed up.

Chrome is my default browser. And I am feeling way too lazy to troubleshoot my Chrome installation when everything else that I need to work on Chrome, and everything that is confirmed to be compatible, works as intended.

I guess it could be as simple as clearing cache. At some point I'll try that, and probably look at extensions and mess around there. But other than standard updates, nothing has changed. Something got borked somewhere, sadly.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net

Yeah, I also use Chrome, 23.0.1271.95. No issues.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
the forums have been more stable for me lately, a while back they were down every time I checked, now they I haven't seen any downtime in the last couple of weeks.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Glad they upped the passive cert gain rate for subscription members.

The Hex changes look nice. It's pretty much the lattice system. They might as well draw the connecting lines and call it a day.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
So much going on lately, and the few times I've even played a game I've been checking out BF3 End Game... I need to check out the changes in PS2.

More importantly: anyone have thoughts on PhysX? Apparently they just added it (or brought it back).

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
So much going on lately, and the few times I've even played a game I've been checking out BF3 End Game... I need to check out the changes in PS2.

More importantly: anyone have thoughts on PhysX? Apparently they just added it (or brought it back).

From what I've heard, it a drain of FPS. There are Youtube videos on the effects. More eye candy from what I've seen nothing essential.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
From what I've heard, it a drain of FPS. There are Youtube videos on the effects. More eye candy from what I've seen nothing essential.

of course it's only about eye-candy!

Have there been any other recent changes regarding framerates/optimization?
I still haven't tested out the VR playground. I haven't played since a little before they added that.
Life has just been too nuts.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
The drain can get pretty big with it enabled. Its not so bad in a closed area, but when lots of explosions going on and rocks flying around i drop down in the 50s fps vs 100+ like normal.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
I don't get the incessant whining over the Phoenix, it's not really that OP, sure a direct hit will OHK infantry, but so will every other rocket in the game. It handles like a bowling ball and has the range of a blowgun in the hands of an asmatic mouse, if you're getting hit by it you're doing something wrong (most likely camping or moving out in open terrain inside my killzone). It's pretty much useless against aircraft and unless the target is in the killzone (last 50 meters of the missile range) I have to be aiming more or less directly at it (breaking cover and painting a big fat bullseye on myself).

just because it's the least shitty of the three new launchers doesn't mean it's op.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I don't get the incessant whining over the Phoenix, it's not really that OP, sure a direct hit will OHK infantry, but so will every other rocket in the game. It handles like a bowling ball and has the range of a blowgun in the hands of an asmatic mouse, if you're getting hit by it you're doing something wrong (most likely camping or moving out in open terrain inside my killzone). It's pretty much useless against aircraft and unless the target is in the killzone (last 50 meters of the missile range) I have to be aiming more or less directly at it (breaking cover and painting a big fat bullseye on myself).

just because it's the least shitty of the three new launchers doesn't mean it's op.

It can't possibly suck as much as the annihilator, with its 5-second "kill me while I stand here" lock on time, and it's deep desire to dive into the nearest bit of terrain as soon as you fire it.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Glad they upped the passive cert gain rate for subscription members.

The Hex changes look nice. It's pretty much the lattice system. They might as well draw the connecting lines and call it a day.

im half tempted to do a 3 month sub

I was looking at how many passive certs it is, and its pretty crazy\

but its also like 45 bucks

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Anyone else feel like shotguns have ruined close quarter (ie in base) fighting? I had to resort to using one myself, fights are no more than 1-2 shots before somebody dies. Very very dull.