Planetside 2..Free to play..and looking awesome so far!

Page 57 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Anyone bother to unlock the new MAX specials? Still about 20 certs shy for my Aegis shield.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Anyone bother to unlock the new MAX specials? Still about 20 certs shy for my Aegis shield.

I unlocked ZOE (Zealot Overdrive) and it is nice, makes our MAX pretty decent, apparently because we Vanu are now using our MAX's in the same numbers as TR/NC they are going to nerf the ability now lol. The Aegis shield is damn annoying as someone who faces it a lot. In places tight places, like biolab it is a true PITA.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
I unlocked ZOE (Zealot Overdrive) and it is nice, makes our MAX pretty decent, apparently because we Vanu are now using our MAX's in the same numbers as TR/NC they are going to nerf the ability now lol. The Aegis shield is damn annoying as someone who faces it a lot. In places tight places, like biolab it is a true PITA.

on Ceres the VS use maxes pretty much exclusively now, all I hear in my head when I leave the warpgate is this.

the NC max was never THAT op, and when it got nerfed it got pushed further back into its defensive little niche. I haven't looked at the stats in a week or so, but even before the last GU the TR max had dethroned the NC max as the best performing.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
NC Buzzsaws are crazy and the scattergun still is too. On Helios (now Connery we merged last week with them) I've always seen tons of NC MAC's a lots of TR, VS I didn't see many of, all before GU9. After the patch I see VS and TR MAX's as much as NC's now. I pretty much only used my MAX for AA with dual bursters anyways (omg I love them with ZOE). I stick with Infiltrator 90% of my play time otherwise.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
ZOE max is overpowered at all ranges, whereas scattermax was only good at camping inside rooms (outdoors, most infantry can just spray down from medium range).

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
ZOE is very OP. You cannot have awesome vulnerability combined with heavy firepower and not end up OP in this game. It's why the magrider was nerfed a long time.

The defensive losses by the ZOE are completely negated by how quickly they move (and warp) in larger battles. The upcoming strafe movement nerf is pretty right on what the issue is with it. It's still going to be very powerful. If I were VS I wouldn't bother putting certs into any classes outside of the ZOE. It's pretty much infantry obsolete on that side, imo.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
NC Buzzsaws are crazy and the scattergun still is too. On Helios (now Connery we merged last week with them) I've always seen tons of NC MAC's a lots of TR, VS I didn't see many of, all before GU9. After the patch I see VS and TR MAX's as much as NC's now. I pretty much only used my MAX for AA with dual bursters anyways (omg I love them with ZOE). I stick with Infiltrator 90% of my play time otherwise.

Never really looked for this thread. I've been enjoying PS2 again (and even more) since my recent computer upgrade. The game really is beautiful (and certainly far more playable above 5fps in heavy combat). Another VS on Connery eh? I haven't kept up in the last few weeks (moving, etc.), but it sounds like our MAXes are no longer useless?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Never really looked for this thread. I've been enjoying PS2 again (and even more) since my recent computer upgrade. The game really is beautiful (and certainly far more playable above 5fps in heavy combat). Another VS on Connery eh? I haven't kept up in the last few weeks (moving, etc.), but it sounds like our MAXes are no longer useless?

Yeah, I'm new to Connery, Helios merged over and now from what I understand from the Connery people is the server is a ton more active than it use to be for them and a lot more full (granted it was for me too from Helios but not as much as they seem to describe).

But yes, our MAX's aren't useless anymore but their new ability is already getting nerfed. They are testing on the test server, wouldn't be surprised if a patch is in within a week. Depending how they "fix" it will really determine if they get dropped back down to useless or not. I believe they are also nerfing the TR's new MAX ability as well, but I haven't followed that too much really as most the time I run into TR MAX's they are on the move anyways and can't use it.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Yeah, I'm new to Connery, Helios merged over and now from what I understand from the Connery people is the server is a ton more active than it use to be for them and a lot more full (granted it was for me too from Helios but not as much as they seem to describe).

But yes, our MAX's aren't useless anymore but their new ability is already getting nerfed. They are testing on the test server, wouldn't be surprised if a patch is in within a week. Depending how they "fix" it will really determine if they get dropped back down to useless or not. I believe they are also nerfing the TR's new MAX ability as well, but I haven't followed that too much really as most the time I run into TR MAX's they are on the move anyways and can't use it.

I'm actually a Helios transplant as well.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Just got into this game over the weekend. I'm liking it so far but I've apparently got a lot to learn lol. I need to work on getting some upgrades. I don't last very long. I usually play medic. I'll have to check out the videos. I'm playing on the Connery server as well.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Just got into this game over the weekend. I'm liking it so far but I've apparently got a lot to learn lol. I need to work on getting some upgrades. I don't last very long. I usually play medic. I'll have to check out the videos. I'm playing on the Connery server as well.

Medic is a good class. You can earn a lot of certs helping your team out and learning a lot about the game. Get your nanoweave armor up to 3, upgrade your nanite regen, and your medical tool.

If you play as Vanu the H-V45 is the best medic gun I'd say, no clue for other factions.

If you stick with the class I recommend C4 (soooo handy) and revive grenades.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for the tips. I'm not playing Vanu, I can't remember which one I'm playing right now off the top of my head. I think it's New Conglomerate. Maybe I'll check out the other empires in a bit too though.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I finally patched up and logged in for the first time in a couple months yesterday. I wanted to try out my new monitor. I got like 23 free cert points (yay.), blew up a VS galaxy, got blown up by an AA max, accidentally ejected from my liberator while trying to reload (the E key is the stupidest key bind in the world), got back in and proceeded to flip it over and blow it up, walked to some action and proceeded to eat a single Comet bolt to the chest and die, and I logged off.

Yup, about as annoying as I remembered it. :)

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I finally patched up and logged in for the first time in a couple months yesterday. I wanted to try out my new monitor. I got like 23 free cert points (yay.), blew up a VS galaxy, got blown up by an AA max, accidentally ejected from my liberator while trying to reload (the E key is the stupidest key bind in the world), got back in and proceeded to flip it over and blow it up, walked to some action and proceeded to eat a single Comet bolt to the chest and die, and I logged off.

Yup, about as annoying as I remembered it. :)

Because you didn't get 40 kills in 10 minutes?

You can rebind all your keys, so don't like the E key, rebind it.

You will die a lot in this game, no way about it when you have lots of open areas and lots of players, you can't see all the angles to keep yourself safe. But you do get back into the action very quickly and the more you play the longer you will survive and better you will do.

This isn't an FPS you just pick up and are instantly good at just because you are good at FPS. There is a lot going on.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Because you didn't get 40 kills in 10 minutes?

You can rebind all your keys, so don't like the E key, rebind it.

You will die a lot in this game, no way about it when you have lots of open areas and lots of players, you can't see all the angles to keep yourself safe. But you do get back into the action very quickly and the more you play the longer you will survive and better you will do.

This isn't an FPS you just pick up and are instantly good at just because you are good at FPS. There is a lot going on.

No actually, because it's still ... well, the population just isn't there to support the game anymore. It was great for about a month after launch, and then it fell off rapidly. Every once in a while you'd find a good fight that wasn't in the doors of a biolab, but it progressively died off to the point where it was a fight of a handful of people against a handful of people, both sides usually in armor or air, and the "grand scale" that is Planetside just disappears.

That and for all the improvements, I actually dislike the new map system. It's an epilepsy-inducing cluster of wtf. Granted, I spent a grand total of about 45 minutes with the game, so I didn't really try to figure out what was what and I'll admit I'm not that used to the new "features" of it, but it was difficult at best to figure out where the actual "fights" were happening with the hotspotting system. By the time I got to a blinking dot on the map, I usually figured out that it meant only a couple people were there trading bullets.

Lastly, and for the record, I suck at FPS's. I play them in a self-masochistic kind of way. If I'm going 1:1 then I consider myself doing exceptionally well for the day. Yes, I call that fun. My problem yesterday wasn't so much that I haven't played in months and yes I am rusty, but rather I can definitely feel that PS2 really went downhill ridiculously fast (population-wise). It's sad, cause it really is a great game.

Oh, and the E key comment is mostly for comic relief. Still, I have no idea what they were thinking when they chose that as their DEFAULT bind though. You gotta admit... :confused:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Since going (back) to the lattice system on Indar I've noticed much improved flow of combat. They also greatly improved the population reporting in each territory, and that combined with the new flow lines gives you a much better idea of how things are going and where to either fall back to or push towards.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
No actually, because it's still ... well, the population just isn't there to support the game anymore. It was great for about a month after launch, and then it fell off rapidly. Every once in a while you'd find a good fight that wasn't in the doors of a biolab, but it progressively died off to the point where it was a fight of a handful of people against a handful of people, both sides usually in armor or air, and the "grand scale" that is Planetside just disappears.

That and for all the improvements, I actually dislike the new map system. It's an epilepsy-inducing cluster of wtf. Granted, I spent a grand total of about 45 minutes with the game, so I didn't really try to figure out what was what and I'll admit I'm not that used to the new "features" of it, but it was difficult at best to figure out where the actual "fights" were happening with the hotspotting system. By the time I got to a blinking dot on the map, I usually figured out that it meant only a couple people were there trading bullets.

Lastly, and for the record, I suck at FPS's. I play them in a self-masochistic kind of way. If I'm going 1:1 then I consider myself doing exceptionally well for the day. Yes, I call that fun. My problem yesterday wasn't so much that I haven't played in months and yes I am rusty, but rather I can definitely feel that PS2 really went downhill ridiculously fast (population-wise). It's sad, cause it really is a great game.

Oh, and the E key comment is mostly for comic relief. Still, I have no idea what they were thinking when they chose that as their DEFAULT bind though. You gotta admit... :confused:

Population depends on server and time of day. Servers are always busy at nights, and nearly all day on weekends. During the day they are pretty low though. My old server Helios was much like I said above, but we got merged into Connery and it is always busy now it seems.

I find the comment about not having the population not supporting the game for the big fights a bit odd when you don't like the new map system (Lattice). The Lattice system does exactly what you want, it provides huge fights in key areas as you can not ghost cap behind other areas, you have to play connect the dots essentially and because of that there is usually pretty big fights going on in those areas since those are the spots for offense and defense now. Also the alerts do a great job of dumping nearly everyone into one continent with giant all out warfare for 2 hours straight with an exp bonus on top of it all. Even before the merger, there was queues to get on to the continent that had the alert going on, if you don't jump on to the continent the alert is for within a couple of mins it will take a few mins in queue to get into it.

I can see where your confusing and problems seem to come from though, you've spent 45 mins with the game. I spent more time than that watching tutorial videos on the basics before even playing and was still not sure on things. I was still learning new things in the game even after dumping many dozens of hours into it.

Your main beef is the pop it seems but they have been addressing it and working towards having most people in close proximity to one another with the lattice system and alerts.

As for the E key, I never had any problems with it and haven't changed the binding myself :p

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I meant the new map as in the visual map, not the lattice system. Sorry if that was misunderstood.

Mind you, I am not a noob by any stretch of the imagination with the game. I don't know hours played, but I'd venture a guess I've topped ~50+ at least between beta and post-launch. I just haven't played recently. I have logged many hours into Planetside 2. As I said, I'm not great at FPS's, and I admit that - and that part is most definitely NOT something that frustrates me about the game (especially since I'm well aware that it's not the game's fault that I suck at FPS's).

I guess I must just have been on at the wrong time (late afternoon on a Saturday) on the wrong continent (Esamir) on the wrong server (Connery) on the wrong faction (NC) as far as population goes. It didn't seem like there was much of anything going on as far as action.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I meant the new map as in the visual map, not the lattice system. Sorry if that was misunderstood.

Mind you, I am not a noob by any stretch of the imagination with the game. I don't know hours played, but I'd venture a guess I've topped ~50+ at least between beta and post-launch. I just haven't played recently. I have logged many hours into Planetside 2. As I said, I'm not great at FPS's, and I admit that - and that part is most definitely NOT something that frustrates me about the game (especially since I'm well aware that it's not the game's fault that I suck at FPS's).

I guess I must just have been on at the wrong time (late afternoon on a Saturday) on the wrong continent (Esamir) on the wrong server (Connery) on the wrong faction (NC) as far as population goes. It didn't seem like there was much of anything going on as far as action.

Fair enough.

I was playing pretty much all day Saturday, mostly on Esamir (my fav continent but it is the least populated at any given time too). I can't remember the specifics though as I was doing my lone infiltrator thing ghost capping/hacking/being an all around pain in the ass for the other factions :D

Indar is where you will find the most people at any time now due to lattice since it is new most people check it out and because it funnels everyone into a few areas for large scale battles. They said they were working on lattice for the other continents but were basically using Indar as a test to see what needs tweaking first because from my understanding it use to be the least populated continent before lattice.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Fair enough.

I was playing pretty much all day Saturday, mostly on Esamir (my fav continent but it is the least populated at any given time too). I can't remember the specifics though as I was doing my lone infiltrator thing ghost capping/hacking/being an all around pain in the ass for the other factions :D

Indar is where you will find the most people at any time now due to lattice since it is new most people check it out and because it funnels everyone into a few areas for large scale battles. They said they were working on lattice for the other continents but were basically using Indar as a test to see what needs tweaking first because from my understanding it use to be the least populated continent before lattice.

Quite the opposite. Indar was the first continent and the default one that new players start in. Before they moved the warp consoles at the warp gates to the middle, some people didn't even know how to warp to other continents. Amerish has the honor of being the least populated. You can usual find a fight on Indar as long as it's not late at night and there's an alert somewhere else.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Quite the opposite. Indar was the first continent and the default one that new players start in. Before they moved the warp consoles at the warp gates to the middle, some people didn't even know how to warp to other continents. Amerish has the honor of being the least populated. You can usual find a fight on Indar as long as it's not late at night and there's an alert somewhere else.

I guess my experience differed then. Indar was always a ghost town when I would play.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Must be time of play? Indar has generally been the most active for me (aside from events on other continents).

I suppose, might be too because I dislike Indar the most and pretty much went to Esamir 90% of the time lol