Planetside 2..Free to play..and looking awesome so far!

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Haven't played this game for like 6 months or so, back in the beta. How is it now? Before the game was horribly unstable, my squad mates would crash all the time, and the game was stupidly unbalanced. NC scattermaxes were ridiculously OP, and anti air in the game was absolutely useless.

If you had those problems then, im sure you will find some more no matter what we say.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Haven't played this game for like 6 months or so, back in the beta. How is it now? Before the game was horribly unstable, my squad mates would crash all the time, and the game was stupidly unbalanced. NC scattermaxes were ridiculously OP, and anti air in the game was absolutely useless.

the game is quite stable for me, I've had it crash on me maybe twice since new years.

the game is balanced, nothing is ridiulously OP and anti-air is quite effective.

when did they open up forhttps://players.planetside2.com/, I just noticed it right now.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
the game is quite stable for me, I've had it crash on me maybe twice since new years.

the game is balanced, nothing is ridiulously OP and anti-air is quite effective.

when did they open up forhttps://players.planetside2.com/, I just noticed it right now.

I'd say within the past day or two. I feel like I've checked it more often than I should.
It was probably last night or this morning.

Now - what the hell is up with the SOE Forums? Have they been down for like a month?
I think they are trying to beat Nvidia at their forum fail over the summer.

As for stability - I feel like recent patches introduced performance issues for me. I never used to dip into upper 20s lower 30s for FPS, and I had partook in some large battles quite often. I noticed the other day around The Crown region (can't remember which facility exactly), I was getting extremely choppy visuals. I mean, terrible gameplay-impacting, shit I can't hit anything choppy. Worse - I'd get complete lockups and then the game would resume after a few moments of staring at a frozen view.

I've been trying to get other things done recently, and by time I can I haven't felt much like playing. I've WANTED to play, but I think it's a combination of not wanting to log in for maybe an hour at most, feeling fairly tired, and not wanting to put up with performance problems. :(

Hmm: I just loaded up the PS2 launcher, and it's patching 170MB. It'd be wonderful if my game got a little more stable. Since launch, I've had pretty good success. I figured optimizations should help me since I'd hope they'd improve SLI through all of that work... but I don't think they did, and may have made things worse.

Perhaps I should finally get around to updating my drivers? 314.07 are latest WHQL. I typically hate updating drivers when it seems things are good - as some games in the past have been extremely finicky with driver version.
But maybe Nvidia is also getting better with Win8 drivers? I still feel like I was getting a 5-10fps loss in BF3 but I can't swear by it - I stopped tracking the FPS in BF3 after awhile (though I have the FPS display permanently enabled in the game)

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Yes server merge! About damn time, they never should have launched with so many in the first place.

Edit: Details:

The following servers will be getting Merged:

US West:
Genudine and Helios -> Helios

US East:
Mattherson and SolTech -> Mattherson
Waterson and Jaeger -> Waterson

EU:
Cobalt and Lithcorp -> Cobalt
Ceres and Mallory -> Ceres

Connery, Woodman, Miller and Briggs will not be part of the merges.

You won’t have to do anything to participate, the entire server population will be moving, your friends, outfits & certs will all be coming with you. Those of you on servers that are being merged will just see that your character is on a different server the next time you log in after the merger is complete. The result of these merges will be a more consistent and full server population during off-peak hours, more players to support better utilization of all of the continents in the game and, generally a lot more massive in your massively-multiplayer. Shortly after the merges are complete we plan to begin offering server transfer tokens, so if you would prefer to go to a different server at that point you could.

Last edited:

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
aaaww crap, those Mallory douches better not screw up the empire ratios on Ceres, NC finally got the upper hand.

and if Indar is gonna be full all the time from now on I will literally die /archer'ed

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Wonder what will happen to my VS solider on Jaeger when it meets my NC on Waterson. thought you couldn't have 2 different sides on the same server?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Wonder what will happen to my VS solider on Jaeger when it meets my NC on Waterson. thought you couldn't have 2 different sides on the same server?

I'm in the exact same situation. lol good thing my TR is my true main...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
What happens if you have a character of the same faction on the two servers being merged?

My first character, an NC on Jaeger, got abandoned when I made a new NC character on Waterson.

This should be interesting; hopefully it makes world and continent populations high and consistent enough to ensure no continent is all a sudden devoid of fights for long after it's conquered... unless, of course, we NC have it conquered. :p

This should help balance things up when they introduce continent locking. And the higher populations will definitely help ensure that continents are still populated decently when they introduce new continents.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
did the servers merge yet, because I just logged on to a server with TR at almost 50% server pop and if this is what it's going to be like in the future then I'm gonna be very upset.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
I think they did something to the reaver, I've crashed twice now, the thing drops like a damn stone and handles like a brick.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
You mean the reaver can no longer hover over the battlefield in nosedown position reigning fiery death on infantry while aa missiles bounce off it and fly away to cry somewhere? :)

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
you're thinking of the scythe :colbert: no it still hovers fine, but it's suicide to do so (it takes forever to gain any kind of momentum).

spent my last station cash on the new smg, can't decide if I like the new or the old better :/

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I decided last night that the only thing that really, truly bugs me about this game - well, other than the simple fact that the Terran Republic even exists - is the implementation of movement on inclined terrain. It's got to be the most frustrating approach I've ever dealt with. You can't climb little hills you could jump over. You slide half a mile down inclines you should easily be able to maintain a grip on. It's nuts.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I wonder what made them think the sphere of influence from PS1 (can't drop pod directly onto a base only the outskirts) was a bad idea. It's very annoying in PS2. There's no sense of frontline fighting. Enemies just raining down from the sky right on top of the objective. Feels like I'm playing a Dragon Age 2 MMO.