Piston Ring Repair

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What would you do?

• Push for GMC to pay the full cost

• Get the work done, feel lucky they are willing to split the cost

• Feel bitter, don't get the work done, never buy GMC again and get a new car

Results are only viewable after voting.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Also since this is your money we are talking about you should explore low cost options first even if the odds of them working are not that great. If you blow $8 on a treatment who cares?

Only possible complication is if the dealer disassembles the engine down the road and somehow discovers you used a cleaner product they can now "back out" of paying their % of the cost claiming "you tried to fixed this on your own with unapproved methods, now you have totally voided ANY remaining warranty"

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Why wouldn't the dealer do a good job? They've already documented the oil consumption, if it gets worse it's on them to fix it.
Sometimes you've got to quit listening to the negative Nancy's here. The old rule (and I'm paraphrasing) that everyone has an opinion also very much applies.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Only possible complication is if the dealer disassembles the engine down the road and somehow discovers you used a cleaner product they can now "back out" of paying their % of the cost claiming "you tried to fixed this on your own with unapproved methods, now you have totally voided ANY remaining warranty"

Should I be concerned I used Bar's Leaks Oil Stop Leak about 3 oil changes ago?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Should I be concerned I used Bar's Leaks Oil Stop Leak about 3 oil changes ago?

Probably not but if you've got a leak in the end it needs to be detected and fixed or just live with it and add oil as needed. It's common for very old, high-mileage engines to need a rear main seal replaced, it's a $10 part but getting to it (specially on a FWD car) might cost $1000 in labor, most people just opt to add the oil, I would..

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
So after dropping it off and their final review, they are going to replace all the pistons, my out of pocket is just going to be $1,500.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
So after dropping it off and their final review, they are going to replace all the pistons, my out of pocket is just going to be $1,500.

Nice, especially since its out of warranty.
From what I've seen from other owner reports, their trucks are great post repair.

Sep 7, 2009
That is an amazing deal.

I've always been anti-GM. And my cts-v build quality is nowhere the germans, but I do feel like GM backs their brand 110%.. Compared to german, where out-of-warranty=get bent.