Perf. evaluating/comparing notebooks with sff and desktops

Raikonnen

Aug 11, 2016
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this but I am wondering if/where I can find comparisons between different types of computers.

When I see the review of the Gigabyte blah blah-950 all the performance comparisons are with other SFFs...Is there a site that could compare it with a laptop (yoga 910 or dell xps 13 for example) and even compare to desktops?

Thanks!

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Anandtech's individual reviews are the closest I've seen, and they obviously come nowhere near covering everything. Notebook and SFF performance depend heavily on configuration (e.g. cooling, TDP settings, RAM config, SSD choice and interface) and mostly the same components in different chassis can perform very differently. It's possible to ballpark performance and that's typically what I do, but there are plenty of cases where a CPU that's slower on paper performs much better in one chassis due to something as silly as fan speed profiles.

Raikonnen

Aug 11, 2016
Thanks for the info. I'd love to see the same benchmarks for the Gigabyte or Skull Canyon on a laptop like the xps 13 or similar....ah well

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
CPU check/comparisons are possible between notebook, laptop, and desktop. As for full systems you often have to evaluate the components individually when comparing different form factors.

Generally speaking, an equal cost notebook or laptop will have less performance than a similarly priced desktop.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
Just to echo what other people have said. A desktop will have substantially more performance than a laptop at the same price point. I'd say the advantage increases for desktops as you move up the performance ladder.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Clockspeed and architecture make up the speed of a single core.

For the same architecture, clockspeed can be used to measure of the speed of a core. The i-series with "6" is Skylake. A desktop i3 will be around 3.7 Ghz, depending on specific model. A laptop will have the chip run at around 2.6 GHz or less. i5s and i7s can Turbo quite a bit, but that depends on how robust the cooling is.

Once you start comparing chips of different architectures, benchmarks become necessary. Alas, desktop chips and mobile chips don't have all that much crossover, save for Passmark. The Anandtech bench is fairly comprehensive, but a little lacking in Atoms and the like.

GPU power is a different matter. Mobile might get better graphics, I'm not sure.

If you are looking at Intel laptops, mobile i5s and lower are generally dual cores and have lower clockspeeds. A desktop i3 will smash all of those chips and even a Celeron G3900 will outclass many of its mobile peers.