Pelosi: Trump isn’t worth impeachment

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Who has lied under oath and not been prosecuted?
Not what I replied to, you asked "What other things are ok to lie about under oath? "
I replied with "In the Trump administration, apparently nothing's off limits."
You're moving the goalposts.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Not what I replied to, you asked "What other things are ok to lie about under oath? "
I replied with "In the Trump administration, apparently nothing's off limits."
You're moving the goalposts.
No I asked what else is ok to lie about under oath, you replied with Trump lies. Seems you were confused by my question.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Don't impeach, indict. Former DOJ people know the memo but that wasn't about a President, that was an offhand comment regarding Agnew and many have said that indictment is not off the table but it depends on the seriousness of the offense.

"Lock him up".

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Don't impeach, indict. Former DOJ people know the memo but that wasn't about a President, that was an offhand comment regarding Agnew and many have said that indictment is not off the table but it depends on the seriousness of the offense.

"Lock him up".

I think that's structurally impossible given that Trump is the head of the executive dept & therefore the DoJ. He can fire anybody who tries to prosecute him but he can't fire Congress.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I think that's structurally impossible given that Trump is the head of the executive dept & therefore the DoJ. He can fire anybody who tries to prosecute him but he can't fire Congress.

That is not a part of the argument regarding the DOJ. Nixon was going to be indicted and charged if he didn't quit. It's WHY he left.

If Trump tries to obstruct justice then he's added to his list of crimes. Note that the Founders gave no protection from criminal proceedings, merely outlined a process for impeachment that applies to the Congress alone.

We get back to the "I can shoot people and get away with it. Since there is no basis in law which could possibly apply, Trump could blow things and kill people on a whim and no legal method would exist to stop him. I don't believe Ben Franklin and others would want that. A great many Constitutional scholars, real ones, and prosecutors familiar with these issues don't back Trump. No man should sit in judgment of his own actions or if you will that someone is above the law based on his own say so.

I doubt that the SCOTUS would buy that either except for Kavanaugh.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I was having this discussion with my wife and she was like.. they won't impeach till after Trump loses re-election and then they'll do it really fast because Trump will refuse to leave the White House in the name of keeping the country unified.

Just wait until he goes off to his golf club and change the locks.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Wouldn’t the same be true of governors and state police? If so, why have state police arrested governors? If not, why?

Trump can be indicted and should be indicted. Let him try to furiously ring up HR to fire all the agents arresting him, haha. Or better yet barricade himself in the Oval Office firing anyone who comes through the door with handcuffs. It would be a fitting end.

I find it odd that you are claiming indicting him would be impossible because he could legally fire people but don’t seem to understand that he could legally murder people if he couldn’t be indicted.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Wouldn’t the same be true of governors and state police? If so, why have state police arrested governors? If not, why?

Trump can be indicted and should be indicted. Let him try to furiously ring up HR to fire all the agents arresting him, haha. Or better yet barricade himself in the Oval Office firing anyone who comes through the door with handcuffs. It would be a fitting end.

I find it odd that you are claiming indicting him would be impossible because he could legally fire people but don’t seem to understand that he could legally murder people if he couldn’t be indicted.

I have no idea about governors. blagojevich was arrested by federal agents. It's legal to fire people but not to murder them, as well. The constitutional path to prosecuting a president is for congress to first remove them. Nice & neat w/o complication.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I have no idea about governors. blagojevich was arrested by federal agents. It's legal to fire people but not to murder them, as well.

This is clearly untrue. If the president cannot be arrested or indicted for murdering people it is obviously legal for him to do so in every way it matters.

The constitutional path to prosecuting a president is for congress to first remove them. Nice & neat w/o complication.

Clearly not, as again the president could simply have them all killed. Perfectly legally by your interpretation.

Until you can square the circle that your idea allows for unlimited murder by design it can’t be taken seriously.

Reactions: dank69

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The constitutional path to prosecuting a president is for congress to first remove them. Nice & neat w/o complication.

So, if the President murders at least half of Congress no one can legally do anything about it?