Pelosi says birth control will help economy

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: CLite

That said, Planned Parenthood is an amazing organization and acts as a huge support network for less fortunate woman. If a good amount of tax dollars go to such an organization I would have no qualms with that.

They also actively cover up and/or refuse to report cases of child abuse, molestation, and rape. Their agenda is not as sparkling as you make it out to be.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think this is a terribly useful thing to spend $$$ on. There are countless existing programs to get birth control / contraceptives from. Providing things does not = people using them.

While not horrible or anything, I don't see this as crucial, and I'm of the school of thought that we shouldn't spend $$ unless it's absolutely necessary and/or proven to be a net + to the economy.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: Genx87
I think I find delicious about this is she obviously believe low income earners will recieve this much needed contraception. Meaning she doesnt believe these low income earners can pull themselves out of the hole they are in and will be a net negative on the govt and society as a whole. Just remember that the next time you hear hew whining about being for the poor.

If you're living in poverty the last think you need is another mouth to feed.

So shut your legs and open a book.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Pelosi is way too late to help the economy with birth control. Her parents apparently already had unprotected sex at least once.

ROFL :)

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
Originally posted by: bbdub333

That said, Planned Parenthood is an amazing organization and acts as a huge support network for less fortunate woman. If a good amount of tax dollars go to such an organization I would have no qualms with that.

They also actively cover up and/or refuse to report cases of child abuse, molestation, and rape. Their agenda is not as sparkling as you make it out to be.

Utter bullshit, link a story please....

I'm sure this is some twist on the following scenario: an under-age girl goes in for help, and a planned parenthood employee respects her privacy. The girl's father caught wind of it, tells the media, and suddenly planned parenthood & libruls support child rapists.

Yes planned parenthood employees have been fired in the past for not following state law of reporting underage activity, like there was a Florida case, however planned parenthood as a whole doesn't support this.

Blowing this up to cover up/refuse to report cases of child abuse, molest , rape is fucking stupid, if a girl went in and wanted to expose that shit they would expose it. There are jackass employees in any line of business, so I couldn't say with 100% certainty that it would never happen, but to imply that planned parenthood as a company tries to cover up scandals like this is patently false.

Please provide one link of PP trying to cover up this shit, one link or go back to the gutter with your absurd claims.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Specop 007
HAHA! I dont know whether to laugh or cry!

It seems the bleeding heart Democrats programs filled with free handouts and tasty cheese has come full circle and bit them in the pokcetbook. The teeth were just pointy enough to nip the ass it seems as they've perked up and taken notice.

What makes it so deliciously funny it this is all but admittance that the free handouts are killing the budgets of state and federal agencies. Of course ratehr then cut back the programs or set reasonable requirements (perhaps LESS money for more kids rather then MORE) they decide to try to convince people to stop having kids all together.

Even more interesting, not only is this a cry that the programs are failing are encouraging a generation of lazy bum ass baby makers but its also a policy that wouldnt see any real gains for quite some time. We dont need answers to problems 10 years from now, we need answers to problems NOW.

It seems theres some in government who are seriously out of date on exactly what our problems are and how to fix them.

Link

PELOSI SAYS BIRTH CONTROL WILL HELP ECONOMY
Sun Jan 25 2009 22:13:43 ET

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi boldly defended a move to add birth control funding to the new economic "stimulus" package, claiming "contraception will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government."

Pelosi, the mother of 5 children and 6 grandchildren, who once said, "Nothing in my life will ever, ever compare to being a mom," seemed to imply babies are somehow a burden on the treasury.

The revelation came during an exchange Sunday morning on ABC's THIS WEEK.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Hundreds of millions of dollars to expand family planning services. How is that stimulus?

PELOSI: Well, the family planning services reduce cost. They reduce cost. The states are in terrible fiscal budget crises now and part of what we do for children's health, education and some of those elements are to help the states meet their financial needs. One of those - one of the initiatives you mentioned, the contraception, will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So no apologies for that?

PELOSI: No apologies. No. we have to deal with the consequences of the downturn in our economy.
Our ponzi scheme social security system needs More contributors in the future, not less. Pelosi and her ilk (all politicians), need to look further in the future than the next election, when they do their math.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton
I'm all for handing out as much contraception as possible

Agreed, while I find it distasteful that the government should have to buy it for people since another form of pregnancy prevention is available free of cost, it is likely the best solution since not many are willing to practice the alternative.

Contraception should definitely be available easily and for free (well, financed by tax payers) to those on government assistance, along with the option for voluntary permanent sterilization.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Ozoned
Our ponzi scheme social security system needs More contributors in the future, not less. Pelosi and her ilk (all politicians), need to look further in the future than the next election, when they do their math.

The inverted-pyramid is too big of a concept for some people to grasp.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Well, I think the idea is sound in general.

However.

Just how poor do you have to be that you cannot afford a condom? Quality condoms like trojans go for 50 cents a piece. I find it really hard to believe that someone cannot afford a condom. The skeptic in me says these money will go to interest groups who will skim off the top and give what is left over to the poor.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
Planned Parenthood for starters.

Which would you prefer? Small amounts of your taxes going towards paying for a fraction of a woman's abortion under the assumption that the woman is a low income inner or large amounts of your taxes going towards all of the other social services that come with unwanted child births?

Don't forget the huge and ever growing prison population we are building.

Number one in the world baby !! ;)

Now imagine if some of those folks rotting in prison were never born because there mothers had free and easy access to the pill.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007

Utter bullshit, link a story please....

I'm sure this is some twist on the following scenario: an under-age girl goes in for help, and a planned parenthood employee respects her privacy. The girl's father caught wind of it, tells the media, and suddenly planned parenthood & libruls support child rapists.

Yes planned parenthood employees have been fired in the past for not following state law of reporting underage activity, like there was a Florida case, however planned parenthood as a whole doesn't support this.

Blowing this up to cover up/refuse to report cases of child abuse, molest , rape is fucking stupid, if a girl went in and wanted to expose that shit they would expose it. There are jackass employees in any line of business, so I couldn't say with 100% certainty that it would never happen, but to imply that planned parenthood as a company tries to cover up scandals like this is patently false.

Please provide one link of PP trying to cover up this shit, one link or go back to the gutter with your absurd claims.

http://www.lifenews.com/state2280.html

http://www.lifenews.com/state3680.html

http://www.lifenews.com/state3719.html

http://liveactionfilms.org/new...ver_tape_released.html

I know the first few links are biased, but where else do you think this would be news?

If you don't feel like reading into it, the jist is that a UCLA student goes around the country to different PP clinics posing as an underage teen impregnated by a 30-something year old man, and the results are filmed undercover. Everywhere she goes, the staffers tell her to lie about her age to avoid reporting rape, etc. There are 3 videos that I can find right now. I also listed to a radio interview from a couple months ago in which she talks about how many times it has actually happened. Of course the staffers were fired when it was made public, but something so widespread makes it more than just "a few bad apples".

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: OrByte
Its pretty sad when republicans need to insert a wedge issue (abortion) into the economic struggles we see today in order to make themselves feel better.

Keep fighting the good fight!! God Bless America!

YOU ARE A REAL PATRIOT SPECOP 007!

:roll:

It's too bad pelosi tries to put in partisan projects like this into a stimulus package.

And she is a mother of 5. maybe there would have been 1-4 more but they would have been more expensive. To say that is offensive and if was a white conservative male saying this he'd be tar and feathered. Also I detect a large dose of racism that she cannot even hope to hide.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Robor
I think I find delicious about this is she obviously believe low income earners will recieve this much needed contraception. Meaning she doesnt believe these low income earners can pull themselves out of the hole they are in and will be a net negative on the govt and society as a whole. Just remember that the next time you hear hew whining about being for the poor.

If you're living in poverty the last think you need is another mouth to feed.

Well no shit sherlock. Now explain to me how having a govt hand out contrceptives will magically make these people use it? What next, Pelosi passes a measure requiring a govt official be present while sex to gurantee the free condom is put to use? Either way I find it amusing her lack of confidence in the people she claims to fight so hard for.

Agreed, unless they mail them to peoples houses these will be worthless...chances are the people this measure is targeting won't even use them anyway.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: jpeyton
I'm all for handing out as much contraception as possible

Agreed, while I find it distasteful that the government should have to buy it for people since another form of pregnancy prevention is available free of cost, it is likely the best solution since not many are willing to practice the alternative.

Contraception should definitely be available easily and for free (well, financed by tax payers) to those on government assistance, along with the option for voluntary permanent sterilization.

Contraception is already essentially free to those who want it.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Well, it doesnt matter any more. Its over. Pelosi just got the first big FU of the Obama era.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theno...1/contraceptive-m.html

He did the right thing. I wouldn't have been terribly upset if that didn't happen, but it was still the right thing to do so props to Obama. Hopefully, we will see this measure come up again but done properly since it is a good idea or at least it should be regardless of whether you are conservative or liberal. The numbers simply add up in everyone's favor. The exception being those who are against using contraceptives period from a moral or religious point of view.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Well, it doesnt matter any more. Its over. Pelosi just got the first big FU of the Obama era.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theno...1/contraceptive-m.html

She'll just put it in another bill. You forgot who controls Congress and White House?

Under the scuttled contraceptive provision, states would have been able to offer family planning services -- including contraceptives -- under Medicaid, the government health program for the poor, without having to obtain federal permission.

Now that the provision has been dropped, states will need to seek a federal waiver before being allowed to use Medicaid to provide family planning services and supplies to low income women.

Obama administration can and will just give states the waiver.

TheDoc9

May 26, 2006
There's a planed parenthood in every city in the u.s. Often several. They're normally located in the poorer communities and the cost of contraception there has always been free or almost so. The means to prevention are and have been available for 30 years, who knows why she's pushing for this.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Contraceptive solutions to prevent unwanted pregnancies are a hell of a lot cheaper than all of the social services that sometimes come after those unwanted pregnancies. This one seems like a no brainer.

In a "stimulus" package? What kind of stimulus is she thinking about anyways? ;)

Well, in a recession, people are broke and have less disposable income to go out and enjoy themselves with. So, they stay in. Bet you $5 most of the couples out there aren't playing Yahtzee when they can't afford a night out. ;)

It does make sense from a pragmatic/utilitarian aspect. However, it is sure to rile the feathers of those who are opposed to Roe or Griswald due to their "morality". Personally, I'm on the fence as other spending can easily take priority. However, the underlying principle of such a proposal is sound.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: dyna
With Pelosi's logic you might as well put in the Stimulus bucket to build a giant wall on the southern border. We would save money on social services and unwanted births if so many illegal's weren't crossing the border.

:thumbsup: We could file that under "infrastructure" if you wish. There is actually quite a lot of support for that idea...

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

You have to see the grey areas though. Every situation should be looked at on an individual basis. If PP had a policy of reporting to the police EVERY time that something like this occurred, a good portion of people would be afraid to seek out what help from them they do currently get. They leave the decision to the women in question. It may not be the perfect policy, but it does make sense. Also, PP isn't all about BC and abortion. They do provide a lot of reduced-cost health services for women in the country, including reproductive counseling, pap smears, examinations, etc.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
While I agree with Pelosi, this has nothing to do with stimulating the economy right now. We shouldn't use the stimulus package to support pet projects. I'm sure there are a lot of stuffs that people want to attach to the package, many of them are good ideas, but let's not get carry away. A few millions here, a few millions there, this will add to a huge bills, money that we will have to borrow.