Feb 4, 2013
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Ryse-PC-259308/Specials/Test-Technik-1138543/

Benchmarks_Ryse_1080p_No_SSAA-pcgh.png

Benchmarks_Ryse_1080p_1_5_x_SSAA-pcgh.png

Benchmarks_Ryse_1080p_2_x_SSAA-pcgh.png

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
This game sets the bar for the best graphics PC gaming has to offer. It's using Cryengine 4, an evolution of Cryengine 3 used for Crysis 3. The graphics are incredible!

ryse_image_NwKjP.jpg

ryse_image_izdLP.jpg

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
New benchmark for PC graphics.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36794785&postcount=18

NV is going to be working overtime trying to get 980 to outperform a 1 year old 290X. 290 is 30% faster than the 970. This should have been a showcase for Maxwell but instead in the best looking PC game an NV $550 card can't beat AMD's $270 card.

Luckily for NV CryEngine 4 isn't used in any other major titles which gives them time to improve drivers and launch GM200 to sort their performance. Crytek is probably using Compute Shaders for SSAA here which is what's killing NV because in the first chart without SSAA, performance of NV cards is decent.

Last edited:

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
So, an unoptimized console port runs bad on nVidia hardware. What's the deal?
I wish Crytek the best and hope that enough nVidia users get fooled to buy this crapport. They need every penny to survive.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I have read countless times this game is extremely repetitive and mediocre at best, but graphics do look amazing. Nvidia definitely needs to get Maxwell's performance up to snuff.

I expect extreme performance differences between AMD and Nvidia in various games in the coming year. Too bad Crytek had to massively downsize and is going F2P.

Last edited:

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
I wouldnt expect them. Crytek didnt care to optimize the game for nVidia hardware. It's nearly a 1:1 port from the Xbox One.

You will see other ports which will run much better because these developers care to sell enough copies.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008

NV is going to be working overtime trying to get 980 to outperform a 1 year old 290X. 290 is 30% faster than the 970. This should have been a showcase for Maxwell but instead in the best looking PC game an NV $550 card can't beat AMD's $270 card.

Luckily for NV CryEngine 4 isn't used in any other major titles which gives them time to improve drivers and launch GM200 to sort their performance. Crytek is probably using Compute Shaders for SSAA here which is what's killing NV because in the first chart without SSAA, performance of NV cards is decent.

I wonder what the issue is for AMD to be so far ahead of nvidia's new Maxwell cards here.

The game looks incredible, the best PC game graphically to release as yet. Nvidia is definitely going to do their best to try to get more performance out of drivers because this is a game that is going to be added to all the review site's benchmark suites.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
So, an unoptimized console port runs bad on nVidia hardware. What's the deal?
I wish Crytek the best and hope that enough nVidia users get fooled to buy this crapport. They need every penny to survive.

I wouldn't call it an unoptimized port considering it's:

1) The best looking PC game of all time
2) It hits 44 fps on a $270 R9 290 card with SSAA at 1080P maxed out. When Far Cry or Crysis 1 came out, you had no hope of playing those titles maxed out with SSAA on any GPU setup available at the time.

Can't say this about any GW title. I bet AC Unity will run like crap on R9 290 series and have graphics nowhere near as good.

I am sure NV will find a way to improve compute performance in this title and perhaps even surpass 290X with the 980. Once that happens, you'll still keep saying it's an unoptimized port? Drivers play a big deal and NV has been known to bring back a lot of performance in games like Dirt Showdown and Hitman Absolution.

Crysis 3 was actually voted as one of the most optimized PC games of 2013 by DSO.

Last edited:

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
It's probably heavily optimized for the Bone and subsequently, GCN GPUs. I think this was just a quick port (though it does seem like a quality port nonetheless) so they likely didn't give Nvidia GPUs too much thought.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Grooveriding, I bet it runs smooth on your rig!

Yeah, so long as SLI is working it should do well going on those numbers. I'll probably wait to play it though and get it cheap on Steam down the road because I've heard it's not that great a game, just a tour de force in PC graphics. I enjoyed Crysis 3 and it looked great, but this game apparently looks unbelievable but is not that good game play wise.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
GCN optimized shaders really starting to make a difference. This is when AMD's win of all the consoles starts to matter to PC gamers...

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012

you mean any other major titles recently launched. Star Citizen uses a modified CryEngine and is scheduled to launch in 2015.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen

I think Nvidia will have a driver update which improves performance. Lets see how much they improve performance.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Right but I was talking about CryEngine 4. Star Citizen seems to be using CryEngine 3 as the basis and NV actually performs very well in Crysis 3/Cry Engine 3.
http://gamegpu.ru/mmorpg-/-onlayn-igry/star-citizen-test-gpu.html

I wonder what the issue is for AMD to be so far ahead of nvidia's new Maxwell cards here.

From the interview:

"DSOGaming: Crysis 3 was nominated as our most optimized PC title in 2013. Will the PC version of Ryse: Son of Rome be up to the standards set by your previous game, and can we expect even more PC graphical options to tweak/adjust this time around?

Nicolas Schulz: To achieve the quality level that we desired on the Xbox One, we had to continue optimizing the engine after shipping Crysis 3. Techniques like SSDO or Realtime Local Reflections are a fundamental part of the Ryse rendering pipeline and we had to make them efficient enough to run well on lower spec hardware. We are making heavy use of some DX11 features like Compute Shaders, which however, perform better on some hardware architectures than others, so there will be some noticeable performance gaps between different desktop GPUs. Regarding the available custom graphics options, they are similar to what we had in Crysis 3.
"

NV can optimize drivers but then AMD should have Mantle for this title.

Looks like the usual suspects still can't admit that when compute shaders are used in games, NV's cards are behind GCN of the same generation.

Last edited:

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
I wouldn't call it an unoptimized port considering it's:
2) It hits 44 fps on a $270 R9 290 card with SSAA at 1080P maxed out. When Far Cry or Crysis 1 came out, you had no hope of playing those titles maxed out with SSAA on any GPU setup available at the time.

So, it is not unoptimized for nVidia hardware because AMD hardware run much better? :\

Can't say this about any GW title. I bet AC Unity will run like crap on R9 290 series and have graphics nowhere near as good.
And? I learned a few words ago that optimizing means "it does only need to run good on one vendor". :awe:
Even games like Watch Dogs or AC4 run better on nVidia hardware than this game.

I am sure NV will find a way to improve compute performance in this title and perhaps even surpass 290X with the 980. Once that happens, you'll still keep saying it's an unoptimized port? Drivers play a big deal and NV has been known to bring back a lot of performance in games like Dirt Showdown and Hitman Absolution.

Crysis 3 was actually voted as one of the most optimized PC games of 2013 by DSO.
Yes, or since when is it the job of a graphics company to make games? Crytek didn't care to optimize their engine for nVidia hardware so now it's nVidia who need to rewrite the shaders.

Looks like the usual suspects still can't admit that when compute shaders are used in games, NV's cards are behind GCN of the same generation.

So you mean like in AC4 Black Flags or in CoD:Ghost with Hairworks where nVidia is much faster?
It has nothing to do with it. These shaders are optimized for GCN and are crippling performance on nVidia hardware. But i guess it's okay this way, right.

Last edited:

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Just watched some gameplay videos to see if it is worth getting, the graphics don't look that great to me... The whole game seems to be a mix of brown and red with an ugly haze to limit viewing distance. Maybe it was just the level that I watched, but I was expecting more judging by how it runs on the PC.

Hopefully we get some better games with the CryEngine 4, but I don't see many upcoming games that appeal to me...

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Right but I was talking about CryEngine 4. Star Citizen seems to be using CryEngine 3 as the basis and NV actually performs very well in Crysis 3/Cry Engine 3

The wiki info for Star Citizen says Cryengine (4th generation). btw officially there is no Cryengine 4 . Crytek has moved to an engine as a service model with the consistent name CRYENGINE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine#CryEngine_.284th_generation.29

"On August 21, 2013 Crytek announced that their next CryEngine would not carry any version number. The reason for this decision was the fact that this new engine bears almost no similarity to previous CryEngine versions. The new CryEngine adds support for Linux http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine#cite_note-linux_time-27 and consoles such as the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Wii U."

http://cryengine.com/news/crytek-announces-the-arrival-of-the-new-cryengine

Aug 21,2013

"Crytek have ushered in a new era for their state-of-the-art CRYENGINE® technology, with the launch of the new CRYENGINE® an ever-evolving technology service, with always up to date access to the latest features in CRYENGINE® for commercial game licensees."

"CRYENGINE® users will also benefit from the coming together of Crytek's Engine Licensing and Research & Development teams; a move designed to double the level of one-to-one care game licensees can tap into, in essence offering Crytek's R&D as a service for developers using the new CRYENGINE®.

On top of these changes, the new CRYENGINE® supports development on current and next generation consoles (Xbox One, PlayStation®4, and WiiU™), alongside PC, with further platforms to be added in the near future."

"Since CRYENGINE® 3 was launched in 2009, we've dramatically changed the engine so many times, with so many major new features, it's not the same engine anymore. We have revolutionised many parts of the engine: we have overhauled our entire lighting system, built movie quality character rendering and animation solutions, vastly improved the speed and effectiveness of our Sandbox editor, and even our rendering has changed with tessellation, pixel accurate displacement mapping and now physical based rendering; all of this while maintaining our first principal: that making games should be real-time, all the time. CRYENGINE® is a new engine from Crytek – and it always will be!"

http://cryengine.com/news/crytek-announces-its-cryengine-as-a-service-program

Mar 19,2014

"CRYENGINE gives users access to the same award-winning toolset that was used to create Crytek's Ryse: Son of Rome, and equips them to develop outstanding games across all of today's leading platforms.

As a first tier of its new program, Crytek has revealed that from May this year, indie developers will be able to use all of CRYENGINE's cutting-edge features for a monthly subscription fee of 9.90 USD/EUR per user - royalty free. Those features include the recently announced addition of CRYENGINE features such as Physically Based Shading, Geometry Cache and Image Based Lighting - an upgrade already shown in action by Crytek at this year's GDC conference in San Francisco."

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...verclocking_video_card_review/10#.VDfbFBDMmAI

31FPS with ultra settings on a reference GTX980 in Watch Dogs.
~23FPS with ultra settings on a reference GTX980 in Ryse.

Every game in the hardocp test runs much better on a reference GTX980.

Two different games perform differently on the same card... you don't say ?

No surprise to see the 980 getting lower frames in Ryse compared to Watch Dogs. Ryse is the best looking PC game as yet and Watch Dogs is a trainwreck.

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010