Pay More, Get Less

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Why do you think it's bad?
Where to start, because you are picking some number to say "you won at life", forcing something to make someone pay taxes, then preventing them from ever investing again. It's pretty much all stupid.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You have a well nuanced argument there. Brilliant.

Meanwhile many countries in europe show what can be done with taxes and organization and creating amazing transit systems, clean countries, good social safety nets, free education.

Maybe you should expand your horizon beyond just your tiny little patch of grass.
Are basic cost of living monies being decreased?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Where to start, because you are picking some number to say "you won at life", forcing something to make someone pay taxes, then preventing them from ever investing again. It's pretty much all stupid.
Do you think there's an inherent flaw in preventing someone from hoarding wealth beyond reason?

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Do you think there's an inherent flaw in preventing someone from hoarding wealth beyond reason?
Sure, if there is a finite amount of wealth, but there isn't. People being rich doesn't prevent others from becoming rich.

Dec 10, 2005
Curious, how would you tax non-realized stocks? You realize it's a double edge sword if you open up this can of worms.
If people are using unrealized gains as collateral on loans to fund their lifestyle or whatever, maybe we consider those gains realized at that point.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Taxing non realized stocks is a dumb idea. Just make them pay the same rate we pay on their income by getting rid of loopholes and it would be fair. But also, they shouldn't be allowed to use unrealized gains as collateral, it's dumb that's even a thing.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
If people are using unrealized gains as collateral on loans to fund their lifestyle or whatever, maybe we consider those gains realized at that point.
I agree using them for loans is stupid logic. But my point for taxing them would be unbelievably complex. What did you buy it, when did you buy it (how long have you held them) would all come into play. On the flip side you could then use them as a net loss as well.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Solid logic.
My point is, at some point the capacity of a single individual to disrupt the lives of everyone else becomes too great, and the result is inevitable. See people like Musk. Ironically another example of a gating attempt was against Musk with TSLA's shorting attempts, insane misinformation campaign, etc. That one just didn't succeed.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Dec 10, 2005
Has anyone seen my thread? I thought I might have left it around here somewhere.
Things cost more than they used to. You went from a year with a glut of cheap fuels for power in the earlier part of the decade and compared it to a year with substantially rising costs; then throw in some inflation and you probably have something close to a justification for the difference.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
My point is, at some point the capacity of a single individual to disrupt the lives of everyone else becomes too great, and the result is inevitable. See people like Musk. Ironically another example of a gating attempt was against Musk with TSLA's shorting attempts, insane misinformation campaign, etc. That one just didn't succeed.
Musk is quite the ironic example for this.
Yes it takes untold resources to disrupt "lives of everyone" thats why one would hope we have laws in place to protect individuals against unlawful actions. But the flip side you have very wealthy people doing very good things with their money.

Why do you get say who can become rich and just how rich?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Musk is quite the ironic example for this.
Yes it takes untold resources to disrupt "lives of everyone" thats why one would hope we have laws in place to protect individuals against unlawful actions. But the flip side you have very wealthy people doing very good things with their money.

Why do you get say who can become rich and just how rich?
Most of people's philanthropic efforts are attempts to fill in gaps the govt isn't/cannot for whatever reason. A rationally run civilization wouldn't need philanthropy.

I don't, I'm just making absurd suggestions to trigger discussion. Think of it as a twist on A Modest Proposal.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Taxing non realized stocks is a dumb idea. Just make them pay the same rate we pay on their income by getting rid of loopholes and it would be fair. But also, they shouldn't be allowed to use unrealized gains as collateral, it's dumb that's even a thing.

It's been explained to you with grade school logic how a flat tax is regressive, but I don't think that will ever get through to you.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Most of people's philanthropic efforts are attempts to fill in gaps the govt isn't/cannot for whatever reason. A rationally run civilization wouldn't need philanthropy.

I don't, I'm just making absurd suggestions to trigger discussion. Think of it as a twist on A Modest Proposal.
Does such a civilization exist?

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
No, because humans are irrational. As an example, we permit individual people to amass such wealth that entire industries are built around creating toys for them.
Cool, lets talk about something that has never existed. If only everything was perfect my idea would work!
People being rich doesn't prevent anyone else from becoming rich.

Jul 27, 2020
Pharma bro Martin Shkreli did what a lot of opportunistic rich people do to gain massive wealth. He was just stupid in the way he did it so ended up in jail. I'm not defending his scumbag actions. However, there are others who deserve to be in jail more than him but mask their greedy unethical selfish actions with philanthropy to avoid attracting bad publicity. Now these same douches are hiding behind the excuse of pandemic and supply chain disruptions to rationalize their jacked up prices.