Path of Exile 3.0 Discussion

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Exposure values don't stack, they just take the highest value. If you had MoF running it would be -10 and then if you hit them with Wave then it would go to -25. Your Ascendancy augments whatever the current exposure value is. Combustion doesn't actually add exposure it just lowers their current resistance by another 19 at the current level you have it. So Combustion will work with either Master or Wave but Wave will overwrite Master if it tags something.

Purifying Flame is decent to have in itself on trigger as it creates the consecrated ground which increases damage to monsters standing on it and gives you 6% life regen if you're standing on it. Since you have Combustion tied to it it has 49% chance to ignite and that will give you more damage as RF can't ignite on its own. The ignite is also one of the reasons most people use flamewall or scorching ray instead of cyclone. Cyclone gives more defense but the other two are big DPS boosters.

Interesting. I didn't realize they didn't stack (obviously). So that makes sense to remove Wave and just run with MoF which should be more than enough.
I will leave Purifying Flame and combustion for the reasons you outlined. I should probably consider flamewall or scorching ray in place of cyclone (which is just an annoying movement mechanic. Especially if I keep popping the QS flask for the warding effect.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Flamewall for testing would be: flamewall, burning damage, conc effect, controlled desc
Scorching Ray would be: SR, controlled, burning damage, efficacy

If you find you like either of those more than Cyclone then there are some link swaps you can do to get more damage for the skill and RF.

Reactions: Homerboy

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
well, made it to lvl 90 last night. Not a huge accomplishment, but I usually only do it 50% or so of the time. Clearing most T15 maps pretty easily now (minus a few mods and the occasional 1-hit on bosses). I tossed my new skill point into a pure dexterity node so I can level up a couple of the golem gems. At least until i can figure something better out

Looking to update the helmet - I didn't realize there was a 40% RF damage enchant. Duh. There was a +3 minion gems for sale yesterday too but the guy was AFK the whole damned day. I will wait it out.

I removed flame dash which I thought would suck but it's slowed me down a bit which has helped me stay alive and out of trouble. It's weird not having a movement skill though.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
that 40% enchant doesnt make a whole lot of difference. still, the main source of damage would be the Scorching Ray. thats why i joke sometimes that there arent any RF builds, only Scorching Ray builds :)
meanwhile, i'm playing carrion golems elementalist and its very nice, very tanky so far with the Brass Dome chest and earth+chaos golems stacking buff effects. i think i will run with it as far as i can, and maybe after Sirus A5 i will switch to Storm Secret Herald of Thunder autobomber since i have alsmot 25% life regen per second, i believe i could sustain it on pure life build.

as far as the league, i love rituals, but my luck has been the worst. only dropped a tabula when i got to maps and 1ex in over 50 hours. at least i have an ex now in my ritual defers, gonna grab it soon hehe

edit: another build i saw was FastAF doing all unique Incinerate build which was insane. would love to try it out this league too. Elementalist league FTW!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
that 40% enchant doesnt make a whole lot of difference. still, the main source of damage would be the Scorching Ray. thats why i joke sometimes that there arent any RF builds, only Scorching Ray builds :)
meanwhile, i'm playing carrion golems elementalist and its very nice, very tanky so far with the Brass Dome chest and earth+chaos golems stacking buff effects. i think i will run with it as far as i can, and maybe after Sirus A5 i will switch to Storm Secret Herald of Thunder autobomber since i have alsmot 25% life regen per second, i believe i could sustain it on pure life build.

as far as the league, i love rituals, but my luck has been the worst. only dropped a tabula when i got to maps and 1ex in over 50 hours. at least i have an ex now in my ritual defers, gonna grab it soon hehe

edit: another build i saw was FastAF doing all unique Incinerate build which was insane. would love to try it out this league too. Elementalist league FTW!

I know it won't be a huge upgrade. But I'm getting to the point where upgrades ware going to be nominal and gotta squeeze every last drop out of the build. Not much interest in going SR. I like the defense of the cyclone attack. Especially with ritual as it's such a tight. confined space that I just need to spin in circles and stay alive.

Carrion golems was of interest to me. It's in the running for next league or maybe a 2nd character for this one. I've like rituals. Pulled a couple of Exalts. There's been a few 6L items too, but lower level so not worth much (but just always fun to get).

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
well, made it to lvl 90 last night. Not a huge accomplishment, but I usually only do it 50% or so of the time. Clearing most T15 maps pretty easily now (minus a few mods and the occasional 1-hit on bosses). I tossed my new skill point into a pure dexterity node so I can level up a couple of the golem gems. At least until i can figure something better out

Looking to update the helmet - I didn't realize there was a 40% RF damage enchant. Duh. There was a +3 minion gems for sale yesterday too but the guy was AFK the whole damned day. I will wait it out.

I removed flame dash which I thought would suck but it's slowed me down a bit which has helped me stay alive and out of trouble. It's weird not having a movement skill though.

I see you upgraded most of your gear. You're DPS is double what it was last week. I would replace that horror finger ring with a Vermilion ring that has good max life, 30+ dex, cold or lightning damage added to attacks and room to craft fire damage. Finding something with a 200+ accuracy roll would be a nice bonus. If you get the cold or lightning damage then you can dump ball lightning and you'll have immediate up time on Elemental Overload as soon as you hit them with Cyclone. This is a huge DPS increase against bosses/rares that haven't been hit with ball lightning and it gives you another gem slot to use. It also allows you to pull that dex node off, pull out a point from one of the life nodes around Constitution and grab a 2 point jewel slot on your tree. That way you can get another life and 2 damage mod jewel.

For the helm, most people in your budget range spend 1-2ex on an Elder helm with burning damage and conc effect. That way they can get a 6L in their helm and 6L in their chest. If you're going to stick with Cyclone, I still think it's a good idea to look into it. There are a couple of things that you can do with a 6L Cyclone that will help you out. A helm with lvl 18 burning / 18 conc is only 1.5% less damage than your current helm and then it opens things up. Finding one with a open prefix is ideal as it lets you craft +1 socketed AoE gems. Or one with an armour or evasion roll that you can remove with a remove defense harvest craft.

Example of the helm: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Ritual/7jpqZnH5

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I see you upgraded most of your gear. You're DPS is double what it was last week. I would replace that horror finger ring with a Vermilion ring that has good max life, 30+ dex, cold or lightning damage added to attacks and room to craft fire damage. Finding something with a 200+ accuracy roll would be a nice bonus. If you get the cold or lightning damage then you can dump ball lightning and you'll have immediate up time on Elemental Overload as soon as you hit them with Cyclone. This is a huge DPS increase against bosses/rares that haven't been hit with ball lightning and it gives you another gem slot to use. It also allows you to pull that dex node off, pull out a point from one of the life nodes around Constitution and grab a 2 point jewel slot on your tree. That way you can get another life and 2 damage mod jewel.

For the helm, most people in your budget range spend 1-2ex on an Elder helm with burning damage and conc effect. That way they can get a 6L in their helm and 6L in their chest. If you're going to stick with Cyclone, I still think it's a good idea to look into it. There are a couple of things that you can do with a 6L Cyclone that will help you out. A helm with lvl 18 burning / 18 conc is only 1.5% less damage than your current helm and then it opens things up.

All noted. Will look into it all ASAP.

There aren't a lot of good enchants for gloves an boots and RF. I don't think Commandment of Reflection actually "functions" does it? I get a reflection, but doesn't seem to have RF

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Reflection creates a clone that attacks with your weapon. I never do glove enchants because their cool down is 5s which is pretty terrible.

There are a few boot enchants that would be decent for you. You could always grab a couple Twice Enchanted prophecy, run lab and just be OK if you get one of the 3 or 4 that are decent for you. There is 2% life regen and 10% movement if you haven't been hit. There is also the 120% crit if you haven't crit which would help you keep EO up more often.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Haven't seen any decent drops in rituals since last week, finally get a rare ritual with two exalts and I had enough to buy one or just defer both, $^#!ing instance crashed on me. I wasn't even doing anything, just had the ritual window open after full clearing map. Lost a bunch of t15 and a t16 maps on the ground as well.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

For the helm, most people in your budget range spend 1-2ex on an Elder helm with burning damage and conc effect. That way they can get a 6L in their helm and 6L in their chest. If you're going to stick with Cyclone, I still think it's a good idea to look into it. There are a couple of things that you can do with a 6L Cyclone that will help you out. A helm with lvl 18 burning / 18 conc is only 1.5% less damage than your current helm and then it opens things up. Finding one with a open prefix is ideal as it lets you craft +1 socketed AoE gems. Or one with an armour or evasion roll that you can remove with a remove defense harvest craft.

With the helm are you saying to move the current cyclone setup into the helm with burning damage and conc effect? And then the minion setup down into the gloves?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
With the helm are you saying to move the current cyclone setup into the helm with burning damage and conc effect? And then the minion setup down into the gloves?
Move RF into the helm and then the chest is a 6L Cyclone setup. Then your minions can be moved to the gloves.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Move RF into the helm and then the chest is a 6L Cyclone setup. Then your minions can be moved to the gloves.

Well, I snagged the helm. Now trying to think of the right cyclone mix. I would assume something fire based, like a firestorm cast on crit?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Well, I snagged the helm. Now trying to think of the right cyclone mix. I would assume something fire based, like a firestorm cast on crit?

You can't do anything that hits with fire since your doing EE. If you hit them with a Firestorm then you're going to give the mob more resistance.

Since you said you don't want to do SR then I'd say you have two routes right now. You can do a 6L Flamewall which would allow you to drop down the wall and still move around unhindered while the wall does its thing. Then you get rid of Ball Lightning and you just use Storm Brand. When you get to a boss/tough mob you just pop the brand and you have instant up time on EE. Flamewall does about the same damage as your RF so you will literally double your damage for things that are inside the wall.

Second choice is to keep your Cyclone with your original link setup plus fill in the two other links. Your original setup gave you 28% reduced damage taken from hits between Fortify and Infused Channeling and it gave you the LoH. It was a good defensive setup. If you add Inspiration and Increased Critical plus swap that ring I mentioned in the last post with one with accuracy, your crit chance goes from 3% to 15%. EO is a 7th link when it's up and running and this helps maintain that damage. You will also get immediate uptime for EE on all mobs if you have that ring with lightning or cold damage added to attacks.

Either setup will use Inspiration which means you can drop Efficacy from the RF links and put in Inspiration. RF doesn't spend mana so to take advantage of the Inspiration you have to use another attack/spell that does spend it. Now you have the links to use it.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
@rstrohkirch I owe you a fruit basket or something

woah nelly... I made some adjustments last night (6L cyclone in chest) and picked up the new ring.
It just seems things are MELTING now. I've been breezing through corrupted T15 maps without much issue at all (died once, when I got stuck) and am almost at L91 now. I haven't even dropped efficiency from RF and tossed in Inspiration yet either. Take a look and see what I'm missing.

Still need to get dex on some piece of gear so I can reallocate that node too (I think the suggestion was to get another jewel node. That and RF enchant on the helm would be nice

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
How quickly do you go up to 5 Inspiration charges with Cyclone? I'm not familiar with channeling skills and Inspiration in regards to how fast they generate charges. You need 3.5 charges to match Efficacy and at 5 charges you have 8% more damage with Inspiration vs Efficacy. If you hit max charges after just a second or two then it's a definite swap. If it takes a bit then I would reconsider it.

If you're going to hit 91 then I wouldn't worry about the dex node. Just pull one of the life nodes when you hit 91 and then you can grab that strength jewel slot in the middle of the tree. A 2 damage mod jewel is worth another 4% more damage and you actually get to save a point on pathing. This allows you to pickup the DOT node behind Arsonist. So you actually get 6.5% more damage at level 91.

You have room for Flame Dash now with your changes. CWDT Links should be:

Lvl 1 CWDT
Lvl 5 Flammability
Lvl 11 Purifying Flame
lvl 20 Combustion

Lvl 19 CWDT
Lvl 19 Steel Skin
Lvl 20 Flame Dash (Buy this at lvl 20 if you don't have one as CWDT will trigger the skill if you try to level it)

If you don't feel you need Flame Dash then you can put a lvl 1 Precision in its place to get more crit on Cyclone. I would replace the fire damage craft on your Corpse Circle ring for an accuracy craft as well. I'd also suggest buying a 20/20 increased critical for 20c instead of wasting GCP on one.

Here is a new PoB showing the pathing change and link changes: https://pastebin.com/khES43gq

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
How quickly do you go up to 5 Inspiration charges with Cyclone? I'm not familiar with channeling skills and Inspiration in regards to how fast they generate charges. You need 3.5 charges to match Efficacy and at 5 charges you have 8% more damage with Inspiration vs Efficacy. If you hit max charges after just a second or two then it's a definite swap. If it takes a bit then I would reconsider it.

If you're going to hit 91 then I wouldn't worry about the dex node. Just pull one of the life nodes when you hit 91 and then you can grab that strength jewel slot in the middle of the tree. A 2 damage mod jewel is worth another 4% more damage and you actually get to save a point on pathing. This allows you to pickup the DOT node behind Arsonist. So you actually get 6.5% more damage at level 91.

You have room for Flame Dash now with your changes. CWDT Links should be:

Lvl 1 CWDT
Lvl 5 Flammability
Lvl 11 Purifying Flame
lvl 20 Combustion

Lvl 19 CWDT
Lvl 19 Steel Skin
Lvl 20 Flame Dash (Buy this at lvl 20 if you don't have one as CWDT will trigger the skill if you try to level it)

If you don't feel you need Flame Dash then you can put a lvl 1 Precision in its place to get more crit on Cyclone. I would replace the fire damage craft on your Corpse Circle ring for an accuracy craft as well. I'd also suggest buying a 20/20 increased critical for 20c instead of wasting GCP on one.

Here is a new PoB showing the pathing change and link changes: https://pastebin.com/j52DZhz4

Excellent.
I seem to get to 5 Inspiration Charges pretty quickly so I think Inspiration makes the most sense. I will be more mindful of it though. I KNOW that 5 is sustained throughout a large mob battle (like Ritual). Honestly, I'm only using cyclone during those or boss fights at this point. I can just run through a map otherwise.

I'm actually ok with out Flame Dash for right now. As I said earlier, it's forced me to slow down some which makes me a little more cautious and survive more too. I will look at the node changes you're pointing out too. Not sure if I'll have the mana for precision... but we'll give it a shot

Once I hit 91 I'm actually going to try some "end-game" content so if I die I don't get depressed about loss of XP :)

Last edited:

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Sounds good. There are a couple of other changes you can make if you want more damage. You can squeeze out another 10% more for about 100c. Past that it's going to get expensive.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Sounds good. There are a couple of other changes you can make if you want more damage. You can squeeze out another 10% more for about 100c. Past that it's going to get expensive.

Yeah I'm starting to run out of cash, but on the same note making it quickly too.
I have 1E differed in ritual and a couple of 6Ls too. The biggest money maker has been Essences. Damn those things are hot. I admit I under price them by 1C or so just to get rid of everything quickly. The other BIG thing was actually listing my lower end currency for Chaos exchanges. I literally can't keep up with the requests. I was dumb though and sold through most my jewelers, chromes and fusings so trying to build those back up. But damn is it a nice way to make some quick C selling augments, trans, chance etc

And what multiple golems do you suggest I run? I know they don't stack so I guess just whichever one does the most damage themselves? It would be negligible no matter.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Your golems are fine. The only one I would maybe change out is the chaos for an ice. Normal mapping with all your flasks up and that big life on kill you have isn't going phase you much anymore. So if you start to do end game bosses/guardians and you need more damage then swap out the chaos for a lvl 12 ice. It will bump up your hit/crit quite a bit and you'll have great uptime on EO for that 40% more damage multiplier.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Your golems are fine. The only one I would maybe change out is the chaos for an ice. Normal mapping with all your flasks up and that big life on kill you have isn't going phase you much anymore. So if you start to do end game bosses/guardians and you need more damage then swap out the chaos for a lvl 12 ice. It will bump up your hit/crit quite a bit and you'll have great uptime on EO for that 40% more damage multiplier.

I meant which ones I can run DOUBLES of. Like I can have 4 total golems up at a time (plus skitter bots). So I have 1 chaos, one flame and one stone. But I can run 1 more of one of those 3. That's why I was suggesting whichever golem does the most damage themselves (fire I think off the top of my head) I could run 2 of them. The difference would be entirely negligible though.

Interesting idea on the ice golem though and probably makes sense. Regen of 105/sec shouldn't make or break me.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Chaos is the physical damage reduction golem. In regards to double golem I haven no idea. I'm not good with the minion stuff. If you want just put in the lvl 12 ice golem instead of the flame dash or precision. Now you get to keep the chaos and you get the ice for high EO uptime.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Chaos is the physical damage reduction golem. In regards to double golem I haven no idea. I'm not good with the minion stuff. If you want just put in the lvl 12 ice golem instead of the flame dash or precision. Now you get to keep the chaos and you get the ice for high EO uptime.

Yeah I was thinking the same - ice golem instead of flame dash and that's my permanent 4th. I'm not sure if I will have even mana reserve to run precision but we'll see.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Had to quit yesterday at 98%XP to level 94. Levelled up in tier 1 maps today because I was so afraid of a random death. Couldn't play more than 15 mins today but I'm going to complete more t14-t15maps, I think I'm at over 140 completion now for atlas, and then I'll start a push to level 95.

Edit: Logged back in to see my essences tab. I haven't bothered selling them, I think I have quite a few but I would hate to sit in hideout and sell, how quick do they sell? I always price cheap to sell fast.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Had to quit yesterday at 98%XP to level 94. Levelled up in tier 1 maps today because I was so afraid of a random death. Couldn't play more than 15 mins today but I'm going to complete more t14-t15maps, I think I'm at over 140 completion now for atlas, and then I'll start a push to level 95.

Edit: Logged back in to see my essences tab. I haven't bothered selling them, I think I have quite a few but I would hate to sit in hideout and sell, how quick do they sell? I always price cheap to sell fast.

View attachment 40241

The highest tier ones sell in a heartbeat in my empierce. Ranting from 7-12C
You've got A LOT to upgrade there too.