Path of Exile 3.0 Discussion

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
I've finally made it to maps a couple days ago... pretty late I suppose but I've been very busy with work and also started the league pretty late. I like the league (so far) because it adds so much mob density but then again I hate backtracking to pick up loot. Game performance is pretty random, sometimes the maps run great, sometimes I activate something and my fps just drops to 0 for 5-10 seconds, that's been the cause of most of my deaths.

Betrayal mechanics are still unplayable for me ever since Betrayal league itself... three encounters are completely fine, but when they spawn to assassinate me, my game just freezes up and it's a guaranteed death every single time.

I'm only at T2 maps, there seem to be way more maps at the lower tier than there used to be? (I did not play Metamorph league). I ran a LOT of T1 (because I was hoping to get all the T2 but I gave up and ended up buying them...)

Also where is Zana? I haven't seen any masters in the maps besides Tane and Cassia, both just twice. I must've run over 100 maps already, mostly because Beach and Jungle Valley are probably my favourite maps to run. Sucks that I'm not getting any Niko's because I want to delve and I don't want to use up his white missions until I'm at T5.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Nvm... Zana showed up in a T3 map. Now I just need to figure out the new atlas system.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Nvm... Zana showed up in a T3 map. Now I just need to figure out the new atlas system.

All the maps are white maps until you socket a watchstone into one of the towers which will upgrade all the maps in that region.

There are countless videos out explaining the changes to the Altas that came out in 3.9.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
I'll be honest, I don't really want to be watching videos to figure out how a game mechanic works. I actually did manage to get Zana and a watchstone socketed.. but I haven't played for the last 4-5 days and have probably quit the league for good. I didn't mind the mechanic too much, but performance is so bad after the last couple patches, I started getting random freezes and fps drops to zero leading to my death. PoE is a good game but it sucks performance wise, I likely won't be back until "Path of Exile 2" unless I find out that GGG seriously fixed these issues.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Was just checking in on this thread... been somewhat following the league on Reddit, and while I try to take everything there with a grain of salt, it sounds like this league has been a bit of a mess - from broken (and questionable) mechanics to start with, to patches that sorta fixed some things, but brought performance to it's knees for most players.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
League is pretty typical in regards to the mechanic. It starts off over tuned with questionable rewards and by week 3 it's good. I will say that the performance is off though. For me it's completely fine until you touch the gate that spawns the mist and monsters. After you do that it's like...hitchy. Even though my FPS and my frame time seems consistent...it's just hitchy.

Reactions: Homerboy

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Was just checking in on this thread... been somewhat following the league on Reddit, and while I try to take everything there with a grain of salt, it sounds like this league has been a bit of a mess - from broken (and questionable) mechanics to start with, to patches that sorta fixed some things, but brought performance to it's knees for most players.

For me, not as bad as Betrayal was (and the first part of the league after that, until Betrayal got mostly fixed). I wasn't going to play this league until, well we all know what happened. Summoner necros neffed a lot, which was my go-to character. This league I'm basically trying out a bunch of new to me builds. Because of all the extra stuff each map takes me forever. I'm barely into yellow maps at this point.

The main problem-and I'm sure all online games are hit with this-is the vast number of players on. Fairly often I get disconnected when going to town or the like.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
This league is fun so far but I do have some performance issues here and there which never happened before. Nothing that hurts playability though.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
For me, not as bad as Betrayal was (and the first part of the league after that, until Betrayal got mostly fixed). I wasn't going to play this league until, well we all know what happened. Summoner necros neffed a lot, which was my go-to character. This league I'm basically trying out a bunch of new to me builds. Because of all the extra stuff each map takes me forever. I'm barely into yellow maps at this point.

The main problem-and I'm sure all online games are hit with this-is the vast number of players on. Fairly often I get disconnected when going to town or the like.
I've tested that extensively. It involves the game's time to render all the MTX. When logging in or changing zones, there is a hard time-out on loading. This was a couple years ago so I don't remember the exact number of seconds, but there are long posts on the forums about it and it usually involves HDD load times. The easiest way to test this is with a platter drive on SATA, an SSD on SATA, and an m.2 drive all on the same machine. Platter drives "feature" the greatest number of timeouts logging in or zoning. When you zone in to a town that has a bunch of people with a ton of MTX, it takes your system longer to load all that additional MTX which pushes you closer to that hard time-out.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I don't think that explains my crashes. I don't have any optional MTX and 99.9% of my crashes are when I go from a map to my (plain jane) hideout. I rarely go to town except when I first log on. Am running off a SSD hardwired to the router.

I've noticed pauses on our internet TV. I'm suspecting that we are getting periodic temporary freezes from Comcast (internet provider). Not all the time but fairly frequent.

Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
The league mechanic actually looks relatively interesting to me, although it's getting a fair bit of hate on the forums. But I played Delirium *way* longer than I normally play a league (it's funny what having a Doctor card drop will do), and I'm honestly not sure I'm going to want to jump right back in. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I just watched Ziggy's video on it... farming AND crafting? It's like they took everything I hate in a video game and rolled it into one. That being said, I probably will still make another damn necro (or totem!) build and kill some crap.

Reactions: Thump553

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm with you, Homer. I hate crafting-farming is OK but only when I want a bit of mindless hack and slash to blow off frustrations. I only made it a couple of minutes into that video before I shut it off. I played through Delirium but the foggy stuff still turns me off no matter how GGG recasts it. On the positive side I got up to Sirius a couple of weeks ago but still haven't taken him on.

Free time is going to be way less in these post quarantine / summer house projects coming up. For example, I've put off painting the house the last two years-better at least get a start on it. If I play, it will be just dabbling in standard.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Any feedback/input on a Caustic Arrow CI Trickster build? I've never played one and figured it would at least be different than a totem/necro build

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I've played both CA and Toxic Rain. CA levels better and feels better early in maps. CA also has good front loaded damage. CI Trickster bow builds in general move pretty fast, good mobility and clear well. Both CA and TR require you to invest in your gear so you can't be as lazy about upgrades or you'll definitely feel it in later maps. On the other side, a decently geared toon with either of those skills will move and clear faster than totem or necro by a fair margin.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I've played both CA and Toxic Rain. CA levels better and feels better early in maps. CA also has good front loaded damage. CI Trickster bow builds in general move pretty fast, good mobility and clear well. Both CA and TR require you to invest in your gear so you can't be as lazy about upgrades or you'll definitely feel it in later maps. On the other side, a decently geared toon with either of those skills will move and clear faster than totem or necro by a fair margin.

"invest in gear" - I read that as "is expensive"?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
No not really. It just means you can't be lazy and not get a good bow, or not setup your jewels/cluster jewels, make sure you buy a lvl 21 gem, stuff like that. The damage fall off on these skills by not upgrading your gear on a timely basis is noticeable.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
No not really. It just means you can't be lazy and not get a good bow, or not setup your jewels/cluster jewels, make sure you buy a lvl 21 gem, stuff like that. The damage fall off on these skills by not upgrading your gear on a timely basis is noticeable.

Gotcha - basically, stay on top of things and squeeze every ounce of improvement that you can or you're screwed

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Before they announced anything for the league I was going to do a 2 handed melee build with something like Earthquake again. Now that these skills are getting a highlight I'm going to roll a Jugg and just league start Glacial Hammer and wait a week. Then I'll respec him into a different skill, maybe Wildstrike. I can get into mid level maps with this league starter on almost no budget so it should work fine.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
maybe SRS build... I dunno. I'm going to try to log in tonight if anyone is online, hit me up.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
I played around with 2H and various slams. The definitely get quite punchy quite quickly, but I'm not sure I *really* want to juggle warcrys, and it's so clearly the optimal way to play I'm not sure I want to go down that route.

I'm sure I'll give it another serious go, but for now, I've got a trickster doing ignite armageddon brand with the intention of switching over to ignite penance brand as soon as I hit 80 and can get a stormfire ring. It's going fine, I guess. In early maps, I'm in no particular danger, but my dps is decidedly lackluster. In fairness, I only got a 5-link shortly before I logged last night and it's not as if the rest of my gear is anything but terrible.