Path of Exile 3.0 Discussion

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Nice to see them take a new direction with the game. As of late it seems every league would basically add complexity and/or wholesale rule changes without anything new really interesting to play. I'm sitting out the current league which hopefully will not be incorporated into standard.

The crafters loooooooooooooooooved this league. I'm guessing that some version of it, or at least the crafting itself, will be incorporated in some manner. I dont have much interest in the crafting portion though

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
They made mention so far of pulling over some of the low and mid tier crafts. I'm personally not a crafter either. Usually the extent for me is filling in a resist or damage mod on an item. However, this league allowed people to craft very very good items by just spending time playing and obtaining crafts. I started off not caring for the league but by the end I enjoyed it. Some of my items would have cost 30-50ex each any other league but I was able to simply make them myself this league.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
They made mention so far of pulling over some of the low and mid tier crafts. I'm personally not a crafter either. Usually the extent for me is filling in a resist or damage mod on an item. However, this league allowed people to craft very very good items by just spending time playing and obtaining crafts. I started off not caring for the league but by the end I enjoyed it. Some of my items would have cost 30-50ex each any other league but I was able to simply make them myself this league.

Yeah it seemed that it allowed for A LOT more items on the market driving down the prices quit a bit. At least that is what I saw before I stopped playing.
Now I have a couple of weeks to figure out a build again I guess. As with all leagues, I will give this one a shot and hopefully it holds my interest (both new mechanic and the build I chose)

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Not that excited about the next league, from what we know. I played pretty extensively this league and was not a fan of farmville and how it could create perfect items. If the game was SSF, I would support it. But I feel there are already too many crafting methods in the game. I think the change made to the multi-craft mod back about a year ago was a good change. You can find something like 2 or so T1 prefixes that you want and add a couple of crafted mods.

That said, I had a *LOT* of catching up to do. I had not played since Bestiary and had to relearn almost everything about the game. After relearning everything, I firmly believe the game suffers some waaaaaay too much bloat. I don't know how a casual could possibly learn the game properly. The game needs to get back to the core and that is: Dropped Loot. The *only* thing Heist looks interesting for is that high level items may have a chance for better rolls. Right now, the higher the level the item raises the affixes it can roll, but usually all that means is you just have a higher chance to get crappy affix. It isn't that I think good loot should drop all the time, it is that a loot filter is MANDETORY and even a Super Strict filter still drops 99.9% crap. The loot bloat is stupid in this game, so much that you are forced to use a loot filter. I can't imagine a single person running even a low level delve not using a loot filter. The amount of worthless items that drop are insane. It is literally a noob trap, along with the chaos recipe, UNLESS, of course, you are SSF. Even then, you would be better off just running content faster and ignoring the chaos recipe.

All that said, POE is still the best AARPG on the market. I just wish they could introduce the casual player more easily and I think consolidating some of their league add-ons could/would do that. From everything that was added in the last three years, I only truly like Delve (although they can get pretty bland quickly, my complaint there is just lack of variety, and blue/dark color pallet) as a side game. Metamorph is neat, and blight is neat.

I have a theory, however, and I think that they purposely add new content to sell new stash tabs. Specifically "Currency" stash tabs for the new shards they constantly introduce. I have made many MTX and stash purchases, but it seems to me that this is a sly way to turn a FTP game into a "PTHF" (Pay to Have Fun). I'd like to see more effort and focus on MTX, and less on adding new currencies as a way to force new stash tab purchases that might become ultimately useless.

All that said, I might actually migrate over to standard. The leagues from what I can tell on previous patch notes have been a bit too "beta" for me. The people who learn and share the exploits found in the first few days before they are patched into the league make bank and get a such a huge head start on the market that the whole sales pitch of a fresh new economy is a bit of a stretch. What it is, is a new unstable economy. At least standard is stable. These are just my personal gripes, and I am sure others can counter point, no doubt. Just my-opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thump553

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Your desire for changes in the game come in the form of POE 2. It allows them to start fresh again and move in a new direction that wouldn't be tolerated by players in the current game. Until it's released we'll see the same kind of releases they've been doing for a few years now which include meta shifts, tech improvements, UI improvements and occasionally expanding on the story. Along with the first two to three weeks of league being buggy and feeling like it wasn't tested correctly. I do feel it's frustrating to have a league finally turn into something good on week 3 when it should be that way from the start. Especially considering I only play the first 4ish weeks of each league. I get one week of everything being fixed and then I'm done.

In regards to the economy, no individual or group of people taking advantage of bugs at the beginning is going to affect you. Their efforts are so minute compared to how bots drive up the price of currency it shouldn't even be a consideration. Which gets worse every year as the game attracts more players and gives people who run bots more of a reason to target it.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
My only "complaint" about the game is I just couldn't believe being a newbie and coming into the game for the first time. It must simply be overwhelming with the things you need to know. Though I guess you don't NEED to know them, but simple things like loot filters make the game infinitely more enjoyable.

On that note, anyone have an old GFX card laying around they are looking to get rid of? I'd love to plug one into my work PC so I can play a little POE over lunch. Nothing super needed - just enough to get by. Let me know if anyone is looking to sell.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
new league started. I am glad I don't have to start over from level 1

Last edited:

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I know everyone is saying the same thing but the patch notes were pretty underwhelming. I'm going to try out the new doomblast and hexblast skills on an Occultist. I'll be leveling with ED/C and Spellslinger. Even though it was nerfed, I can path over to the mana reserve nodes before I get it and make it usable still for leveling.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
I'm looking forward to seeing what the numbers look like with the doom-related skills. Hexblast and the doom mechanics not working with triggered curses is kind of a bummer though. I suspect it's going to strongly encourage piano'ing hexes, which I'm not crazy about.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Curse skills look good. I think I'll skip ED/C and swap over to them in Act 3 when I get access to the skills. Doomsday Keystone with Impending Doom will allow you skip the piano while leveling. By either ending after 1 second and exploding or you casting again, ending the original and exploding.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Ok, hex blast looks a lot stronger than I had been afraid it would. That seems super-viable. And hex blast only eats one curse at a time, so there's not nearly as strong an incentive to try to stack lots of hand-cast curses as I'd expected. I'd been thinking lower numbers with it blowing up all the hexes on a target at once. This is a lot more workable. Trickster-archmage-hexblast-ignite seems tempting. I'm a sucker for ignite builds and you shouldn't even need to a stormfire.

Of course, discharge for the spectacular booms is also very tempting.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Oh man I thought it started tomorrow for some reason.
I haven't even picked out a build yet!
Totems it is!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
are there any summoner (zombie/skeleton) builds that are still viable?
I feel like a complete mindless build

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Decided to do Glacial Cascade Totems. Jut got to level 50 and just started Act 7
My gear is horrible and I need to upgrade but I've been getting HORRIBLE currency drops. I'm not sure I'm digging the Soul Mantle Spider Silk chest piece either. The random hex on totem death sucks.

My build calls for "The Long Winter" jewel too (two of them) and for some reason I don't see any for sale? That seems odd

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Decided to do Glacial Cascade Totems. Jut got to level 50 and just started Act 7
My gear is horrible and I need to upgrade but I've been getting HORRIBLE currency drops. I'm not sure I'm digging the Soul Mantle Spider Silk chest piece either. The random hex on totem death sucks.

My build calls for "The Long Winter" jewel too (two of them) and for some reason I don't see any for sale? That seems odd
you need an updated build for 3.12. according to the patch notes, that gem has been removed from the game, to be introduced later with new mechanics.

i played Spellslinger VD Necro last league, loved it to death (pun) and now Necro got the nerf-hammer. not sure i'm going to play this league since i'm all in Wasteland 3 right now, but i am watching mbXtreme on twitch.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
you need an updated build for 3.12. according to the patch notes, that gem has been removed from the game, to be introduced later with new mechanics.

i played Spellslinger VD Necro last league, loved it to death (pun) and now Necro got the nerf-hammer. not sure i'm going to play this league since i'm all in Wasteland 3 right now, but i am watching mbXtreme on twitch.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh crap

Guess I will try that one. Of course it's WAY different than my current build. Tree is opposite direction

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
WTB 40 regrets
i've been there before :)

Yeap! Started in on that last night. Luckily I had most my respect points from quests still so that got me started at least.
Sad thing is I don't have much currency so it's a balancing act between proper gear and Orbs of Regret.
Not the end of the world, adds a new twist to it I guess :)

Have barely touched the Heist mechanic yet. It seems... confusing :)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Seems there's been a lot of hate for the new Heist mechanic (and GGG's attempt at tweaking it).

I just recently hit maps (at T4) and I've only really run the "mission" heists as they get stuck in your inventory (which is about as horrible of an idea as there's ever been). I've been... meh on the new content. I mean it's sorta boring (who likes to wait for doors to open?) but I do appreciate the attempt at slower game play too. Playing totems sorts of helps in being sneaky too as I as can drop them around corners and not set off any guards. Then I just flame dash out and the totems kill as soon as the guards react.

Haven't tried any "Grand Heists" or anything yet though.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Started playing yesterday to try out the new league. Never been so disappointed with a new league. Still going through the campaign, tried out a few heists but a few times the game crashed out.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Started playing yesterday to try out the new league. Never been so disappointed with a new league. Still going through the campaign, tried out a few heists but a few times the game crashed out.

Its interesting, I see lots of complaints on Heist crashes and I personally have not had 1 of them.
My biggest complaint on running heists is the level of XP you gain.... you simply don't get ANY at all. And that kills it.
I don't mind the mechanics too much, but running maps is still just way more rewarding. So why run heists at all?

Also, I'm having a real problem with my build and getting killed. Stupid curses are doing me in with the Spidersilk Robe and the 80% curse.

Reactions: Vivendi

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Maybe I'm just being stupid right now, but can somebody explain this support gem combo to me?

Controlled Destruction – Increased Critical Strikes

Does controlled destruction not have 100% Critical strike chance? Then why combine it with Increased Critical Strikes if there's then no chance for critical strikes?