Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
Legacy scheduled to end tomorrow 2200 GMT. Too bad, it's been my favorite league by a huge margin. They should make legacy a permanent part of standard league.
Legacy league does not end tomorrow, not sure where you heard that. And it is in fact part of the base game, however it's instead called "Zana mods." I know many people are already annoyed with all the micro managing of game mechanics just to run a map, and leaguestones are the worst. I've seen many ways proposed to make them better (increase charges to 10+, make them all a steady 5 charges, etc.) however I think Zana mods work just fine. It's a system already in place to run previous mechanics, it might just need a slight rework to keep mods on par with one another.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Legacy league does not end tomorrow, not sure where you heard that. And it is in fact part of the base game, however it's instead called "Zana mods." I know many people are already annoyed with all the micro managing of game mechanics just to run a map, and leaguestones are the worst. I've seen many ways proposed to make them better (increase charges to 10+, make them all a steady 5 charges, etc.) however I think Zana mods work just fine. It's a system already in place to run previous mechanics, it might just need a slight rework to keep mods on par with one another.
Zana is terrible. It is a shitty chaos sink and ends up being not worth it for a large portion of the playerbase. League stones were cumbersome and clunky in many ways, but offered a very pleasing, self tailored, and easily sustainable experience for a lot of people. Though, some kind of system similar to like how skill points or Ascendencies would have been better IMO. As you level Zana you unlock points to put in a tree and eventually can have 3 (or more) permanent leagues always. With some of the "better" ones as far keystones only available at like level 7. Put in a regret cost to respec and you're fine.

Instead we get this crappy Pantheon system coming in 3.0. If they don't seriously tune this, it is going to be essentially worthless. Oh, 30% to not bleed? Why, thank you GGG. How could you have guessed I'm a complete noob and don't have a bleed immunity flask!

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Legacy scheduled to end tomorrow 2200 GMT. Too bad, it's been my favorite league by a huge margin. They should make legacy a permanent part of standard league.

I had gotten this info through a google search about a month ago, but now it looks like it is wrong. I noticed today there are a couple of upcoming two week mini-leagues announced, so I'm guessing legacy will last at least another two weeks-and I imagine beta as well.

Different strokes for different people, but I stick by my guns that legacy is the best league yet. OTOH to me to be required to run the mazes of labs is a travesty.

Last edited:

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
Zana is terrible. It is a shitty chaos sink and ends up being not worth it for a large portion of the playerbase. League stones were cumbersome and clunky in many ways, but offered a very pleasing, self tailored, and easily sustainable experience for a lot of people. Though, some kind of system similar to like how skill points or Ascendencies would have been better IMO. As you level Zana you unlock points to put in a tree and eventually can have 3 (or more) permanent leagues always. With some of the "better" ones as far keystones only available at like level 7. Put in a regret cost to respec and you're fine.

Instead we get this crappy Pantheon system coming in 3.0. If they don't seriously tune this, it is going to be essentially worthless. Oh, 30% to not bleed? Why, thank you GGG. How could you have guessed I'm a complete noob and don't have a bleed immunity flask!
I kind of wanted to say this before I start debating your solution. I think that the Legacy league version of Zana is absolutely terrible. The pre-Legacy version will hopefully make a return in 3.0 (just hoping, have no evidence to back it up), and I'm guessing the change is just a placeholder since Legacy league is largely just Zana mods in any zone.

I feel like your suggestion is already similar to the current Zana system. You start out with no mods you can add, as you level her up you gain access to different mods. The only difference being you want the mods for free, and that can't work out. If you are getting the mods for free, then you are more than doubling your drops for zero additional investment (people run the master mission for the free map anyways).

The true issue with Zana is that the mods themselves just aren't rewarding enough. If you look at the Legacy league version, there's no reason to even use the mods unless you have extra chaos laying around, they just aren't worth it. If you look at the pre-Legacy league version, again same issue. You run beyond for extra xp/drops, and I can assure you the chaos is well spent. If they were to include breach and perandus at reduced league specific drop rates (coins, splinters, league specific uniques) as well as revamp the other mods (bloodlines/nemesis? absolutely no reason to spend chaos on those) we'd have a really nice system going and I'm sure they can be balanced to where not everyone was using the same mod for every map.

You have to be careful with this type of stuff though. A lot of these league mechanics make it to where you get a large increase to drop rate and experience. If you make these too accessible, it ruins the economy. If they are too underwhelming, it's a useless feature.

I do agree with you that the pantheon system is underwhelming. I feel like GGG hyped up the new system way more than it should have been. I can only see very few of the pantheon nodes being worth it for niche builds, and the flask generation node is just bonkers. I think the real issue is that you get the pantheon nodes for just playing the game. There's no additional content to complete, and therefore no additional challenge, so the rewards can't be very strong. When you compare it to lab, lab is something that you can completely skip, but the rewards are just too juicy to pass up so it almost seems mandatory. I wish pantheon came with a similar challenge.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
They've already stated Zana goes back after Legacy and league stones cease to function. And, I wholeheartedly disagree with you about Zana mods. The only one worth running is bloodlines (nemesis if you're trying to chance HH, but that is very specific and not map running really). And, even then, it's only worth doing when you can both sustain your map pool and have currency to burn, which is only a very small percentage of players per league. Only the 1% pushing 100 even bother using Zana pre Legacy. While I agree Legacy was clunky, it offered the best mapping experience for most players. You could tailor, with little investment, how you wanted to run maps. Sure, some were much better than others (Breech OP AF), but players got to decide. Even when Breech stones were 3c each, getting 5 maps with it pretty much guaranteed you got that currency.

And, your Lab point is exactly why I think Pantheon ended up being crap. They split the playerbase with that stupid platforming wannabe crap of Lab and forced the rewards. So, with Pantheon, they just gave it away and watered it down so it didn't matter what you picked anyway.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Playing the Turmoil league, not racing or anything but just wanted to play PoE and didn't like Standard and feel like it's too late for me to try Legacy.

I died 3 times in the 2nd zone (the one right after first town) because of Invasion Bosses. There was one right by zone enterance that keep taking me out in 1-2 hits, after 3rd death I finally decided to create a new instance, was still invasion but atleast I didn't get 1 shotted. After this it's actually been pretty easy so far, I'm playing Lightning arrow ranger and have just entered normal Act 4 without dying again. I thought there would be lots of loot but so far all the strongboxes have sucked and breaches barely spawn any monsters.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Microtransactions finally in the beta. New system is actually really slick. Oh, and if anyone wants a beta key, PM me.