Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 87 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I assume because it's a free game and it's in their best interest to encourage people to play longer. They take the easiest route possible by make things hard to acquire whether it be gear, currency, league specifics or access to end game. You'll give up some people who get bored of the grind but the game attracts a large following of people who love it.

I try not to hate on the game too much considering it's entirely free. If you ever wander into their general discussion sub forum, it's a cesspool. 70% of all threads in there are people complaining about how much they hate or dislike something. I wish I had as much free time in life as these people do to spend it getting angry over a free video game.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Its the best free game I've ever played. TF2 is neck and neck with it though, but I really never find myself drawn back into playing that.
Every new league in POE I make it a point to drop $20+ in the store as I think that's a fair "reimbursement" for the enjoyment I get out of the game.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
*sigh*
well as with pretty much every league I play of POE I've hit that barrier where I just can't "advance" anymore. It's really frustrating every time I play this game. I just can not make it to "end game" content it seems
I'm at only level 83 and doing T8-ish maps or so . If I go higher they are just too hard (especially bosses) and any lower and there's just no XP to earn. I still die occasionally and just can't get another level due to losing XP on death.
MLB The Show comes out tomorrow so I will be going back to that "full time". Maybe I will start a new character to play here and there.
Thanks to those I'e run a few maps with and that have helped me out along the way.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Someone totally looted the guild stash yesterday. It's empty. Probably shouldn't put any else in it, post here if you are looking for something.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
*sigh*
well as with pretty much every league I play of POE I've hit that barrier where I just can't "advance" anymore. It's really frustrating every time I play this game. I just can not make it to "end game" content it seems
I'm at only level 83 and doing T8-ish maps or so . If I go higher they are just too hard (especially bosses) and any lower and there's just no XP to earn. I still die occasionally and just can't get another level due to losing XP on death.
MLB The Show comes out tomorrow so I will be going back to that "full time". Maybe I will start a new character to play here and there.
Thanks to those I'e run a few maps with and that have helped me out along the way.

My problem is getting and sustaining higher maps. But I've been running decent this league. Spent an awful lot of time running Beyond-Breach-Beach maps though. It's super fun and I'm averaging an ex or divine drop per 15 maps run.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Someone totally looted the guild stash yesterday. It's empty. Probably shouldn't put any else in it, post here if you are looking for something.

Ugh, that sucks.

I took a lifesprig for my witch and appreciate whoever left it, but taking everything like that is absurd.

There isn't any log for the bank I'm assuming.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I think there is? At least, you can probably ask GGG for logs if you're the leader. There wasn't anything really worth much. Maybe a 5L or two and some leveling uniques / items. it is kind of sad though.

And, I still don't get how guys aren't sustaining maps. I bought some to fill holes in my Atlas, but I have yet to run out of them.

Also, progression is two different goals: leveling or content. You can do them at the same time, but you need very specific builds to be able to do that. When doing both, you have to be aware what maps and what Atlas routes are the best way to go.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Yeah I notice that the other day too.
I messaged whomever was online at the time, but no response. That's a lowlife thing to do. I appreciated and used a few maps that I was missing.

Next time I'm on, I'll dump some things in there.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Like mentioned, most of the stuff in there wasn't worth much. I think 85% of the stuff was put in there by me. I am kind of glad it happened now. I just started clearing out my for sale tabs of items that I couldn't get what I wanted out of them. Was going to put them in the stash instead of selling them for 1-2c each. Was going to put a bunch of tier 4-8 maps in there as we'll.

I guess if anyone wants stuff like that just msg me when I'm online.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
If you guys need some maps, you can message me as well. I have a bunch left over and am not going to do any of them anymore. I have a bunch of t9 and below.

And, whoever cleared the stash may have been hacked.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Also, progression is two different goals: leveling or content. You can do them at the same time, but you need very specific builds to be able to do that. When doing both, you have to be aware what maps and what Atlas routes are the best way to go.

I'm doing okay on maps this league. I have about 6 red maps and even a T15. Last league I leveled to 92 on 9's and 10's... That was not fun and I won't be doing that again.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Started a new witch on hardcore, was leveling nice through normal act 1, early act 2 i found a stone circle. Went to my stash, pulled out 5 talismans, ported back summoned- INSTANT FREAKING DEATH.

I am assuming now that I died because the tier 2 summon's level is based on the item level of the talismans used, because nothing else makes any sense. I had a good combined 600 life worth of es and life, and I've had zero issues killing other talisman mobs even the tier 3 unique guy. If this is how it works, this is utterly retarded. ilvl is essentially hidden from the player unless you know what you are doing, it shouldn't affect the level of mobs that spawn in a zone. It also means instead of tossing talismans into a stash tab to reuse later, i need to track them by level and make sure i don't accidentally use higher level talismans on lower level characters. Ugh.

If I am wrong and the mechanic doesn't scale the monster based on talisman ilvl, then I don't know WTF killed me. It just pisses me off because this was a completely BS death. I died on a HC duelsist yesterday at level 50+ after hours and hours of play, and it didn't piss me off like this because that death was entirely predictable and my fault, I just didn't evac fast enough.

I wish the game had at the least a combat log so I could see exactly what killed me, this is yet another sad failing of the game that I deal with just because nothing else out there has the customization.

Starting to think that the secret to succeeding on hardcore is to just skip all the stupid legacy stuff. Breeches, talismans, essences- the reward is just insignificantly small and the potential to die is much higher than anywhere else in the game.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I skipped legacy stones until I got to the to maps anyway. No reason not to. They don't really enhance the leveling and only increase chances of death.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Started a new witch on hardcore, was leveling nice through normal act 1, early act 2 i found a stone circle. Went to my stash, pulled out 5 talismans, ported back summoned- INSTANT FREAKING DEATH.

I am assuming now that I died because the tier 2 summon's level is based on the item level of the talismans used, because nothing else makes any sense. I had a good combined 600 life worth of es and life, and I've had zero issues killing other talisman mobs even the tier 3 unique guy. If this is how it works, this is utterly retarded. ilvl is essentially hidden from the player unless you know what you are doing, it shouldn't affect the level of mobs that spawn in a zone. It also means instead of tossing talismans into a stash tab to reuse later, i need to track them by level and make sure i don't accidentally use higher level talismans on lower level characters. Ugh.

If I am wrong and the mechanic doesn't scale the monster based on talisman ilvl, then I don't know WTF killed me. It just pisses me off because this was a completely BS death. I died on a HC duelsist yesterday at level 50+ after hours and hours of play, and it didn't piss me off like this because that death was entirely predictable and my fault, I just didn't evac fast enough.

I wish the game had at the least a combat log so I could see exactly what killed me, this is yet another sad failing of the game that I deal with just because nothing else out there has the customization.

Starting to think that the secret to succeeding on hardcore is to just skip all the stupid legacy stuff. Breeches, talismans, essences- the reward is just insignificantly small and the potential to die is much higher than anywhere else in the game.

I just don't play hardcore anymore. I've died 9 or 10 times this league in softcore and I only understood one of them. I got caught in a Frost Bearers pack and died. The others were various things like jumping into a pack of white monkeys in a tier 2 map with a level 87 and instantly dying, or running lab 10+ times in a day face tanking everything and getting one shot by Izaro on the last run from full health.

I'm just not going to put myself through deaths like that on hardcore.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I just don't play hardcore anymore. I've died 9 or 10 times this league in softcore and I only understood one of them. I got caught in a Frost Bearers pack and died. The others were various things like jumping into a pack of white monkeys in a tier 2 map with a level 87 and instantly dying, or running lab 10+ times in a day face tanking everything and getting one shot by Izaro on the last run from full health.

I'm just not going to put myself through deaths like that on hardcore.

That sums up how I generally feel, but my brother was playing on hardcore so I wanted to make a character to group with him.

There is a small advantage to it, though. In softcore, I'll level up a flawed build before realizing how bad it really is. In hardcore, those flawed builds get weeded out rather quickly. Still, hardcore is a massive time sink.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
That sums up how I generally feel, but my brother was playing on hardcore so I wanted to make a character to group with him.

There is a small advantage to it, though. In softcore, I'll level up a flawed build before realizing how bad it really is. In hardcore, those flawed builds get weeded out rather quickly. Still, hardcore is a massive time sink.
Ha, I love to leveling as CI without actually going full CI (no life nodes, etc) in softcore, because it doesn't matter if you die for the most part.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I skipped legacy stones until I got to the to maps anyway. No reason not to. They don't really enhance the leveling and only increase chances of death.

This is not even remotely true. League stones offer much in the way of extra loot chance, coins, Perandus coins, essences, breaches etc.
It allows people to get a taste of mods and such.
Most people I know love using them.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
This is not even remotely true. League stones offer much in the way of extra loot chance, coins, Perandus coins, essences, breaches etc.

He's right, they do not enhance leveling. They make the game play more entertaining which is what you are referring too. They don't help you level faster and really are likely to slow you down if you die. Plus some of the ones you mentioned are the ones that people will skip in HC depending on the build at low levels. That said I ran them from the start because I find the 3 difficulty level grind to be boring after so many times.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
All of those just slow you down. At 40, you can use nemesis stones, because why not. The other ones generally aren't good for things without strong AoE clear, which is lacking in most leveling builds.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
He's right, they do not enhance leveling. They make the game play more entertaining which is what you are referring too. They don't help you level faster and really are likely to slow you down if you die. Plus some of the ones you mentioned are the ones that people will skip in HC depending on the build at low levels. That said I ran them from the start because I find the 3 difficulty level grind to be boring after so many times.

I found the mob density to be higher with leaguestones (not all) and more mobs = more xp.
I understand certain builds struggle with packs but as long as you don't die, breaches are fantastic for xp. (just an example)
Better drops also help with more life and more dps which also increases the leveling speed.
This is just my opinion, and is an opinion shared by a lot of my friends in a very active European guild.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
So what's the latest on this game? If I understand correctly, Legacy is going away and they are rolling out whole new acts?
Can somebody give a quick bullet list of what's planned etc, please?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Eventually, 3.0 is coming out and it will remove the difficulties and introduce 6 more acts, bringing the total to 10.