Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I believe the beam was moving faster in my map because of a faster casting boss map mod, or some other such. I don't know, and don't care enough to try it again with "safer" map mods, the risk/reward is way out of whack and I'd rather just do any other map and get better drops without any risk of death.

Since you have 5400, sounds like at 5100 life I was a just barely too low to survive the beam, maybe it'll be an easier fight in a couple levels.

I ran it at level 87/88.... and I did come close to dying so yeah your level is obviously an issue for the beam if it hits you.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Dried lake is far more XP than low-tier maps because it has insane mob density.

You will kill 3-4x the number of mobs/minute in dried lake than you will in any map. Thus, until the XP penalty starts hitting it really hard, it's better XP than maps.

Map IIQ does definitely apply to currency/map drops.

Most builds can't do reflect maps of their damage type. If you want to be able to run those, you will have to make MAJOR sacrifices. Generally people only care about not oneshotting themselves on a reflect rare and just reroll over reflect mods on maps. Or they play chaos builds and give no shits. Or they play pure phys builds with insane armor and give no shits (my gladiator is in the latter category).

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The Steam promo video I watched showed all kinds of environmental hazards (spikes, rolly sawblades, etc.) -- is that common even at low levels? That makes it seem like playing would be higher stress that other ARPGs where you need to kite but not constantly dodge stuff.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Those are exclusive to the new content added in the most recent expansion. There are 6 trials throughout the world in each difficulty that use a single one of those mechanics, and the Labyrinth dungeon uses all of them in varying combinations.

The rest of the game is 100% trap free.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I believe the beam was moving faster in my map because of a faster casting boss map mod, or some other such. I don't know, and don't care enough to try it again with "safer" map mods, the risk/reward is way out of whack and I'd rather just do any other map and get better drops without any risk of death.

Since you have 5400, sounds like at 5100 life I was a just barely too low to survive the beam, maybe it'll be an easier fight in a couple levels.

"Iirc iirq has zero to do with currency drops or card drops. A 68 map has nothing except the uniques that can drop snd random currency. Dried lake has exactly the same curry plus the headhunter card making it far superior even if you ignore the fact if you don't fully clear a map, it's inefficient."

That is wrong. Increased rarity doesn't directly increase currency drops, but it does a lot more yellows to vendor for chaos or regal recipe, and increases the chances of getting a drop that is worth selling or using.

Increased quantity absolutely works on currency.

Increased Item Quantity (IIQ)
Increases the average number of items that drop from monsters (aka Drop Rate). This includes currency, scrolls, skill gems and divination cards.[5] There is no cap on the usefulness of this modifier, since there is no limit to the number of items a monster can drop. Only the IIQ of the containing area and the party bonus affects chests or strongboxes,[6] and it does not affect the type, quality, or rarity of item dropped, only the chance that something will drop.[3] A player's IIQ does not affect the amount of maps that drop from enemies.[7] However, a map's IIQ does affect the amount of map drops.[8]

Since last night, I tracked my drops for the last few maps I did.

http://imgur.com/a/oWJsM

Not trying to brag, just showing that the drops from maps, compared to dried lake, are preeeety good overall. Sure, there is some variance, but I can absolutely sustain mapping like this, and my currency cost to roll the maps is trivial compared to what I walk out of the map with. Even if you ignore the RNG luck of getting an exalted orb in one of the maps, still coming out way ahead on currency.

One minor note: on the jungle valley map, I dumped my working stack of wisdom scrolls, those didn't drop in the map. I didn't bother with scrolls or perandus coins for any of the loot tabs because value is pretty insignificant.

These maps were either unID blue maps, or white maps I used an alc + vaal orb on. Most of them were around 100 iiq.

So, for every map you used an alc and a vaal orb, and think you're coming ahead on currency? Even if every two or three you get a regal recipe (if you're even doing high enough iLvl stuff, you're not coming out ahead without some RNG rolls.

What you're doing could easily be done later (and easier) if you just leveled in Dried Lake.

Ran a malformation with Xiandre, remind me again why the laser is hard to dodge?

https://youtu.be/7CUYsw3bs3Q

He's even bad and took a hit to the face, didn't matter because he's stacked enough life.

Loot filter anyone? >_>

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I actually have a filter, I just only have it shrink the whites/blues because I like lootsplosions.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks for posting the video. I may give it another attempt after I gain a few levels.

BTW, could I get an invite to the ATOT guild, if there is room?

Character name: athyna

Didn't ask before because I had a guild myself for a few old friends who played, but none log anymore and finally got around to transferring leadership to an alt account.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Ran a malformation with Xiandre, remind me again why the laser is hard to dodge?

https://youtu.be/7CUYsw3bs3Q

He's even bad and took a hit to the face, didn't matter because he's stacked enough life.

Yeah latency is fun.... I wish I had 50 latency :sneaky:
<------- 230-260 latency in that fight spiking to 300 or more.

Also had a little wine in me.... (ok more than a little) lol

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Please excuse this private comment, but someone from AT asked me about trading a softcore Perandus quillneck yesterday. I thought I had traded but I was wrong, still have it. Please PM me here if you are still interested.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
So it's looking likely that we're getting a 2 week Perandus + Flashback "race". What are you guys rolling on Friday?

Doing a crit staff juggernaut this time. I like the idea of a build that can sustain all three types of charges (endurance from staff crit node on tree, power from hege's era staff which has been cheap by the end of the first week in the last 3 leagues, frenzy from blood rage) and you can grab enough endurance charges to offset abyssus completely. Plus Juggernaut gets a whopping 1000 accuracy.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
So it's looking likely that we're getting a 2 week Perandus + Flashback "race". What are you guys rolling on Friday?

Doing a crit staff juggernaut this time. I like the idea of a build that can sustain all three types of charges (endurance from staff crit node on tree, power from hege's era staff which has been cheap by the end of the first week in the last 3 leagues, frenzy from blood rage) and you can grab enough endurance charges to offset abyssus completely. Plus Juggernaut gets a whopping 1000 accuracy.

When does this current league end roughly?

Also got my Chaos Spark character to level 90!!! :thumbsup:
First time ever to hit 90. :D

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I'm not rolling anything unless it's a good flashback. If it's something like beyond I may do something like ice trapper.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
So, for every map you used an alc and a vaal orb, and think you're coming ahead on currency? Even if every two or three you get a regal recipe (if you're even doing high enough iLvl stuff, you're not coming out ahead without some RNG rolls.

Did you not look at my screenshots? I'm not saying I can get lucky and come out ahead on currency occasionally. I am saying, and showing, that I come out ahead on currency every single time I do a map. Are you vastly over-valuing vaal orbs or something?

Sure, there will be some RNG variance, but it's the difference between coming out at 150% or coming out at 1500%, the range never drops to the point where I actually lose net currency.

What you're doing could easily be done later (and easier) if you just leveled in Dried Lake.

Yes of course, I get that. I could wait longer, waste more time doing boring farming, and then my reward would be even easier maps! I prefer the challenge, thank you (with the one above noted exception).

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Did you not look at my screenshots? I'm not saying I can get lucky and come out ahead on currency occasionally. I am saying, and showing, that I come out ahead on currency every single time I do a map. Are you vastly over-valuing vaal orbs or something?

Sure, there will be some RNG variance, but it's the difference between coming out at 150% or coming out at 1500%, the range never drops to the point where I actually lose net currency.
I did. If you think anything you got was worth more than the vaal orbs and alcs you used, well, I'm sorry for you. Right now, a vaal orb is at most 1:1 chaos. You'll lucky to get more than a couple for that price though.

Yes of course, I get that. I could wait longer, waste more time doing boring farming, and then my reward would be even easier maps! I prefer the challenge, thank you (with the one above noted exception).

If farming is wasting time, well, again, I'm sorry for you. This is a game primarily about farming.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I did. If you think anything you got was worth more than the vaal orbs and alcs you used, well, I'm sorry for you. Right now, a vaal orb is at most 1:1 chaos. You'll lucky to get more than a couple for that price though.

First map: 8 jewelers orbs is worth more than 1 chaos > 1 vaal. 1 alc is worth 1 alc. In addition, 11 alc shards, many misc low value currency, some cheap rares that might sell for an alc to someone. Obviously total value is greater than 1 vaal and 1 alc.

Second map: chaos = vaal, and 2 chance orbs + 6 alc shards = 1 alc in value. The rest is profit.

Third map: 1 regret = 1 chaos = vaal. 1 scouring > 1 alc. All the rest is profit. Note: I'm ignoring the exalted orb, obviously it totally sinks your theory but you will just argue it was lucky RNG ():)

Fourth map: 1 alc = 1 alc. 2 blessed orbs & 14 jewelers is > 1 choas > vaal. Everything else is profit.

Fifth map: 1 chaos = vaal. 1 gcp > alc. Everything else is profit.

Sixth map:1 scouring > 1 alc. 9 alterations + 4 chromes = 1 chaos = vaal. The rest is profit.

Seventh map: 10 jewelers > chaos > vaal. 14 alteration = 2 alcs. Profit.

Of course, note that not all of these maps were vaaled. At least 3 of them were unID blue maps I just ran as-is. Trust me, I came out way ahead on currency, there no risk at all of this being unsustainable.

If farming is wasting time, well, again, I'm sorry for you. This is a game primarily about farming.

Farming a base game zone with 0 risk 0 fun and reduced drops is not fun for me, when I know I can instead do a map with 100% quant and 30-50% increased rarity, and fun mods like double bosses, beyond mobs, or whatever.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Ah finally did a village ruin, without reading up beforehand.

Oops, cock boss is impossible due to enrage. I guess if I read the strategy and brought each boss down to low hp before killing one, it could have been an easier fight. Still, even at it's worst the boss took multiple hits to kill me, not as crazy as malformation.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Anyone playing the Flashback 2 week starting Friday? I won't be able to start on time (Going to see Civil War) but I think I'll do my best to get to 70 or 80 in the next two weeks.

Flashback leagues are my absolute favorite :)

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I am going to skip the flash race and instead level an ICE or Chaos trapper build.
Still trying to decide which guide to use, there are so many out there.

Last edited:

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I am going to skip the flash race and instead level an ICE or Chaos trapper build.
Still trying to decide which guide to use, there are so many out there.

I would just level in the 2 week. I'm pretty sure the characters get moved to Perandus afterwards anyway. The only benefit of staying would be the twink gear you can use to level and since the flash league will have exiles and boxes to start you'll have easy leveling anyway.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I would just level in the 2 week. I'm pretty sure the characters get moved to Perandus afterwards anyway. The only benefit of staying would be the twink gear you can use to level and since the flash league will have exiles and boxes to start you'll have easy leveling anyway.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Now to find a good Ice/chaos trap guide.