Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 63 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I just started playing last night, as a witch since that is the only free character for new players. I'm set up as ranged (fireball, spark, tendrils) and pets (zombies).

It's fun so far: I like how gems level up with use and how sockets don't bind gems to the item you place them into. The system of trading items for fractional scrolls and orbs is reasonable, and the loot drops for a lowbie seem decent.

The only annoyance to me so far is the map, the transparent low-detail overlay makes it a little hard to navigate. That and the tiny inventory area.

weird. you should be able to play everything.

I agree with the map and inventory. the map sucks ass. As for inventory I splurged the $20 and got more space. I got 6 premium stash spaces.

figured as much as i been playing giving them 20 was fair.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
All choices except the Witch were dimmed for me. Either I just couldn't figure out the UI (which is possible) or they unlock after completing X parts of the story.

I was planning to make a ranged caster anyway, so I wasn't really bothered by it.

They are dimmed, but you can click on them to swap at character creation screen.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
My Ice Trapper is slowly starting to improve but is definitely a late bloomer.
I am looking forward to when it starts to shine, especially with chain reaction.
Right now at level 43 the dps is somewhat lackluster on a 4L.
Running Ice Trap-Cluster traps-Trap and Mine damage-Cold Penetration and I will add controlled destruction when I get a 5L.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
My Ice Trapper is slowly starting to improve but is definitely a late bloomer.
I am looking forward to when it starts to shine, especially with chain reaction.
Right now at level 43 the dps is somewhat lackluster on a 4L.
Running Ice Trap-Cluster traps-Trap and Mine damage-Cold Penetration and I will add controlled destruction when I get a 5L.

I'd swap Cold Penetration for Controlled Destruction until you get a 5L. It is a significant damage increase.

Runequest2

Jun 14, 2000
This is not a reason to leave PoE.
It's very easy and fun to level a new character.
There are regret orbs and respec points to fix mistakes.
There are free respecs given almost every 3 months.

If you don't think that's enough then you have another choice too!
You can use the planners to plan out your build before or even just go to the forums and copy an already successful build.

Seriously though, this is like the worst reason to avoid PoE

It is how I play so for you it is a horrible reason for myself the reason makes sense.

I do not want to relevel a new character because I screwed up on a build.

While I often look at preferred builds I generally like to mess around with builds a bit to find one I like even if it is slightly below the best.

It is just how I play.

Sadly POE does not allow me the option to do this so i do not play it or support it.

I keep hoping they will offer a mode of play that opens up the freedom to play around with builds without cost.

If they do not it is no big deal to me since I can find many other games to play and support.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I'd swap Cold Penetration for Controlled Destruction until you get a 5L. It is a significant damage increase.

I am quite close to a 5L but I will try it out. I was just trying to deal with the resistant mobs.

9 more levels to I get to fire up my 6L Voltaxic :)

How the heck did you get a 6L Voltaxic?

It is how I play so for you it is a horrible reason for myself the reason makes sense.

While I often look at preferred builds I generally like to mess around with builds a bit to find one I like even if it is slightly below the best.

It is just how I play.

Sadly POE does not allow me the option to do this so i do not play it or support it.

I keep hoping they will offer a mode of play that opens up the freedom to play around with builds without cost.

If they do not it is no big deal to me since I can find many other games to play and support.

Other genre's sure, but nothing in the same genre as Poe or close to the quality of POE.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
How the heck did you get a 6L Voltaxic?

Bought a Voltaxic from the fat man for 5k
Dropped a couple dozen jewelers on it and BAMMO 6S (ironically I accidentally blew by the 5S I was going for so had to keep going and then nailed the 6S)
Dropped a couple dozen links on it and BAMMO 6L

I do not have the guts to corrupt it.

3 more levels to go before I can equip though I'm not sure I have the DEX yet :(
Gotta get a drillneck too. Anyone have one for sale?

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008

It is just how I play.

I didn't mean to offend you mate... It just seemed like a poor excuse to me since there are free respec points and free respecs given regularly. But it sounds like you prefer the D3 style where you level once and then have access to all skills. I hate that since it devalues character planning and development, but some people really enjoy it i guess.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Could anyone buy me a Warlord's Mark? I dont have a character in this league that can buy one :( Toss in guild stash.

Thanks in advance.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I didn't mean to offend you mate... It just seemed like a poor excuse to me since there are free respec points and free respecs given regularly. But it sounds like you prefer the D3 style where you level once and then have access to all skills. I hate that since it devalues character planning and development, but some people really enjoy it i guess.

It's a double edged sword. While giving access to easy (if not completely free, but requires like some kind of small map run or something) respec allow casual players to not just be totally boned by bad decisions, it removes a lot the proper planning and testing more hardcore players tend to do.

If it was split in such that say only standard had the quest for free respec, I think a lot of the more hardcore players wouldn't mind.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I am quite close to a 5L but I will try it out. I was just trying to deal with the resistant mobs.

Controlled Destruction gives you more damage than you'd get penetrating, but if you're close to the 5L, it's not a huge issue.

Also, Warlords Mark may not actually do much for you. You won't get the life or damage leech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Finally got to lvl 64 to equip my Voltaxic 6L -- took me a million chromes to get the colors I needed (and still need 4 levels to equip my lvl19 added Chaos) but DAMN do things MELT now. Gotta get my hands on a drillneck to up my life and evasion.

I think on my chest I want to run a 5L:
HoT
Curse on Hit
Warlord's Mark
AOE
Inc Duration (though may skip this one)

This should keep the lightning going and curse most everything keeping my endurance charges up and the leeching constant.

The tree in ZD's build calls for a lot of jewels too -- I can't seem to find any to my liking though :(

Last edited:

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
Finally got to lvl 64 to equip my Voltaxic 6L -- took me a million chromes to get the colors I needed (and still need 4 levels to equip my lvl19 added Chaos) but DAMN do things MELT now. Gotta get my hands on a drillneck to up my life and evasion.

I think on my chest I want to run a 5L:
HoT
Curse on Hit
Warlord's Mark
AOE
Inc Duration (though may skip this one)

This should keep the lightning going and curse most everything keeping my endurance charges up and the leeching constant.

The tree in ZD's build calls for a lot of jewels too -- I can't seem to find any to my liking though :(

Yea I had pretty good success using HoT for cursing. I don't think you need the increased aoe or duration though, it does a pretty good job of it all on its own. I had mine in a 4L and threw in Blind as the 4th link I think. Hardly the most effective setup to put Blind into, but every little bit helps and I didn't need that gem slot for anything else.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Controlled Destruction gives you more damage than you'd get penetrating, but if you're close to the 5L, it's not a huge issue.

Also, Warlords Mark may not actually do much for you. You won't get the life or damage leech.

The pen doesn't show in the tooltip, but it's always going to be better than controlled destruction unless you're running ele weak + frostbite curses. Pen vs no resists: straight damage multi. Pen vs high resists: can double damage or more.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Yea I had pretty good success using HoT for cursing. I don't think you need the increased aoe or duration though, it does a pretty good job of it all on its own. I had mine in a 4L and threw in Blind as the 4th link I think. Hardly the most effective setup to put Blind into, but every little bit helps and I didn't need that gem slot for anything else.

All true however, I think the AOE might help as sometimes the sparks are killing before the HoT has a chance to hit them (sparks are covering the entire screen, HoT is not) and then I lose a chance to curse therefore losing a chance for health/mana leech along with an endurance charge.

I guess I'm just looking for some 5L setup too as I don't have anything else to use in a 5L. Maybe I can just get a 4L chest piece then and save $$

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The pen doesn't show in the tooltip, but it's always going to be better than controlled destruction unless you're running ele weak + frostbite curses. Pen vs no resists: straight damage multi. Pen vs high resists: can double damage or more.

Pen would be better against high cold resistance mobs in cases your more spell damage multiplier isn't going significantly increase your damage, but against most trash, controlled destruction should offer slightly more.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
30% pen is straight up 30% more damage on a non- resistant target. Worst case scenario for pen is that it equals controlled destruction for "more" damage. Pen also has a better best-case scenario and no crit penalty.

Controlled destruction is literally only better for tooltip or socket color reasons.

Last edited:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Well I got my 5l and running both Pen and Controlled destruction so now things are flowing a lot smoother. :)
Thanks for the advice though. I cannot wait until I can get Chain reaction, just got master sapper node and up to 10 traps.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Spark has become sort of a joke -- I can literally RUN through levels constantly casting and not run into any trouble. I only need to stop to pick up an item. I'm currently running Innervate in place of added lightning or chaos damage -- this gives me a speed/amour buff with Onslaught

I was wondering though, why in ZD's guide does he have poison in the link? It seems things are dying so quickly, poison isn't going to affect them too much? I feel removing it and adding lightning or chaos damage would be way better? (though I'd need a 4B/2G setup then

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Onslaught doesn't give armor, just attack/cast/move speed.

Poison is a huge damage multiplier on bosses/tanky rares. As you noted, everything else just melts so it doesn't matter that it is wasted on packs.