Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Thanks for the tips, already some stuff I didn't know. At least I only solo so haven't gotten others killed with my lack of knowledge.

Funny to call myself a 'new' player when I actually started playing at release- since when are there guilds and housing? I saw you could create a guild but I didn't notice anyone talking about them or how they work.

I love this 'mines are unpopular' , just like me to pick a build no one uses :D

One more thing, are there no more respec? I remember doing it in the past but maybe it's because there were major changes to the game.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Fire Nova Mine is very *good*, just unpopular because mine playstyle is awkward compared to "right click to clear screens" (which is every popular build).

Respecs are ONLY given on tree-altering major patches: for characters where their node paths did not change, the respec is optional, for characters where their node paths did change, the respec is forced.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I just had an amazing idea while I'm at work.

So Barrage with Volley Fire and Rigwald's Quills is essentially an 8L (6L Tabula + fork from quiver and LMP/GMP from Volley Fire jewels). Why not go further? I'm going to get a pair of Snakebite gloves and make it a psuedo-9L (Snakebite adds Poison On Hit when at max frenzy charges)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I just had an amazing idea while I'm at work.

So Barrage with Volley Fire and Rigwald's Quills is essentially an 8L (6L Tabula + fork from quiver and LMP/GMP from Volley Fire jewels). Why not go further? I'm going to get a pair of Snakebite gloves and make it a psuedo-9L (Snakebite adds Poison On Hit when at max frenzy charges)

Interesting.
I have Snakebite gloves in Standard and Talisman if you want em.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I have a pair in standard, if you want to give me ones in Talisman I'm not going to complain but they're cheap (~1 chaos) so it's not a big deal either way.

I also realized during my lunch that since Rigwald's Quills has fork applied to *all* projectiles, I can use frenzy GMP curse on hit to spread curses to huge groups *and* maintain frenzy charges :p

Now it's just a question of "vaal pact and rely on frenzy" or "blood rage no vaal pact" (not willing to deal with 4% degen per second without regen to counteract).

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I have a pair in standard, if you want to give me ones in Talisman I'm not going to complain but they're cheap (~1 chaos) so it's not a big deal either way.

I also realized during my lunch that since Rigwald's Quills has fork applied to *all* projectiles, I can use frenzy GMP curse on hit to spread curses to huge groups *and* maintain frenzy charges :p

Now it's just a question of "vaal pact and rely on frenzy" or "blood rage no vaal pact" (not willing to deal with 4% degen per second without regen to counteract).

Well I've still been looking for a new build (ranger, shadow or scion) ...so now you peaked my interest in this theory :)

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Well I tested rigwald's quills 1x Volley Fire barrage with vendor-level gems last night before going to bed, with truly awful other gear, and it was great. Arrows go flying EVERYWHERE, purple shocks galore with crit.

Adding poison, frenzy charges, and much better gear/gems should be amazing.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Got my gems up to 16-ish, this "9 link crit voltaxic" build is doing INSANE damage. Like I'm equaling my bino's southpaw reave dps from Flashback. I'm not as tanky as that character was (that character could facetank colonnade kole) but I have crazy range.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Started playing this game a couple of days ago. Wow complexity. Started out playing a ranger so if anyone has any just completely noob based tips they feel like sharing I'd appreciate it. Right now I am following a tornado build but am only level 9 or 10 so not like I've spent a ton of time or anything.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Started a Ranger Barrage build based off Jax's thoughts in here earlier.

Pretty damn fun. It's basically a machine gun at this point. I've added frenzy and endurance charges and she can pretty much motor down anyone. Tossed in siege balastia (why not?). Left fork gem out and will pick up off quiver and poison off gloves once I level up.

Really fun build and I think the damage will grow ridiculously.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I am having issues with not enough leech happening with the Whispering ICE build.
Even with 950 dmg per hit it seems to be lackluster ES leech.

Jax you mentioned there was no point to level the Life leech gem due to some issue... is there no benefit at all in leveling it?
I am just wanting to fix the leech amount.

Last edited:

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
With Vaal Pact, the leech gem levels do LITERALLY nothing. 2% leech never changes, only the "leech rate" portion of the gem, which is ignored by Vaal Pact.

If you're having issues with leech on packs, you're doing something very wrong, I healed to full near instantly when it was only doing 1k per hit.

If you're having issues with leech single target, sub conc effect in for faster casting or controlled destruction (controlled destruction probably the safer one to sub out). Your AoE radius will noticeably suffer, which I dislike, but this will make more icicles hit bosses *and* drastically increase damage per hit.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Started a Ranger Barrage build based off Jax's thoughts in here earlier.

Pretty damn fun. It's basically a machine gun at this point. I've added frenzy and endurance charges and she can pretty much motor down anyone. Tossed in siege balastia (why not?). Left fork gem out and will pick up off quiver and poison off gloves once I level up.

Really fun build and I think the damage will grow ridiculously.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Death's_Harp

Hmmm Death's Harp adds another arrow and does reasonably decent DPS for leveling...

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
Fire Nova Mine is very *good*, just unpopular because mine playstyle is awkward compared to "right click to clear screens" (which is every popular build).

Respecs are ONLY given on tree-altering major patches: for characters where their node paths did not change, the respec is optional, for characters where their node paths did change, the respec is forced.

nothing awkward about full screen Glacial Cascade mines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Fs9sHvA-E

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Death's Harp is a very popular leveling bow... that is entirely useless for Barrage.

The way Barrage works, extra arrows are added into the barrage, NOT alongside it like other projectile skills.

Other projectile skills: normally fire 1 shot per use, now fires 1+x shots per use (x being extra projectile count)
Barrage: normally fires 4 shots per use, now fires 4+x shots per use

So instead of double the shots (normal skills), you get 25% more shots instead.

Since the main scaling on this build comes from Wrath, Herald of Thunder, Static Electricity jewel (x1, between ranger/scion/shadow), and Added Lightning gem, Storm Cloud is a REALLY good leveling bow, due to it's incredibly high attack speed. Personally I'd use that all the way to Voltaxic.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
With Vaal Pact, the leech gem levels do LITERALLY nothing. 2% leech never changes, only the "leech rate" portion of the gem, which is ignored by Vaal Pact.

If you're having issues with leech on packs, you're doing something very wrong, I healed to full near instantly when it was only doing 1k per hit.

If you're having issues with leech single target, sub conc effect in for faster casting or controlled destruction (controlled destruction probably the safer one to sub out). Your AoE radius will noticeably suffer, which I dislike, but this will make more icicles hit bosses *and* drastically increase damage per hit.

It was the smaller groups or single targets that seemed to be lacking and switching out the gem on the staff is not really viable mid fight.
Big packs are fine.
Also although Vaal discipline is amazing, it would be nice if there was a potion that would top you up like health flasks for when your vaal discipline is not fulled up.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Death's Harp is a very popular leveling bow... that is entirely useless for Barrage.

The way Barrage works, extra arrows are added into the barrage, NOT alongside it like other projectile skills.

Other projectile skills: normally fire 1 shot per use, now fires 1+x shots per use (x being extra projectile count)
Barrage: normally fires 4 shots per use, now fires 4+x shots per use

So instead of double the shots (normal skills), you get 25% more shots instead.

Since the main scaling on this build comes from Wrath, Herald of Thunder, Static Electricity jewel (x1, between ranger/scion/shadow), and Added Lightning gem, Storm Cloud is a REALLY good leveling bow, due to it's incredibly high attack speed. Personally I'd use that all the way to Voltaxic.

Hmmm you're thinking lightning on this build? I went with crit/cold.
I used Herald of Ice and tossed in Increase Crit and Power Charge on Crit.
I end up walking around with max frenzy and power crits most the time

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Well, I'm doing the build with Voltaxic Rift, a bow that is 100% about the lightning (because it converts lightning damage to chaos damage).

There's probably plenty of other ways to do Barrage builds, I just don't know them offhand :p

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
It was the maller groups or single targets that seemed to be lacking and switching out the gem on the staff is not really viable mid fight.
Big packs are fine.
Also although Vaal discipline is amazing, it would be nice if there was a potion that would top you up like health flasks for when your vaal discipline is not fulled up.

I didn't mean live-swapping, I meant just run conc effect instead of controlled destruction.

Lack of life flasks is definitely a big intended weakness of CI. I have a resist flask for each of the three elements, a granite flask of iron skin, and a quicksilver, personally.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I didn't mean live-swapping, I meant just run conc effect instead of controlled destruction.

Lack of life flasks is definitely a big intended weakness of CI. I have a resist flask for each of the three elements, a granite flask of iron skin, and a quicksilver, personally.

That's what I have in my flask bar.
I saw another Whispering Ice build called avatar of fire.
His tooltip dmg was over 4000....
Sheesh I wish I could be that high

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
That's what I have in my flask bar.
I saw another Whispering Ice build called avatar of fire.
His tooltip dmg was over 4000....
Sheesh I wish I could be that high

I'm not a fan of the cold-to-fire WI variants because they cannot freeze enemies: they are MUCH less safe.

They also usually don't run life leech.

And 4000 tooltip damage is going to be near-perfect gear AND tooltip warrioring: that's a guy with Shav's Wrappings doing low-life (Pain Attunement) with a dedicated supporter giving him haste, vaal haste, conduit full charges, leer cast + leer cast animate guardian, etc. MOST build guides use people like that to show inflated tooltip numbers to show off how "great" they are, sadly.

The mark of a good build is one that does *enough* damage while being relatively unkillable. Death = 10% XP lost, that mattes a HELL of a lot above 85.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I'm not a fan of the cold-to-fire WI variants because they cannot freeze enemies: they are MUCH less safe.

And 4000 tooltip damage is going to be near-perfect gear AND tooltip warrioring: that's a guy with Shav's Wrappings doing low-life (Pain Attunement) with a dedicated supporter giving him haste, vaal haste, conduit full charges, leer cast + leer cast animate guardian, etc. MOST build guides use people like that to show inflated tooltip numbers to show off how "great" they are, sadly.

The mark of a good build is one that does *enough* damage while being relatively unkillable. Death = 10% XP lost, that mattes a HELL of a lot above 85.

I understand Jax.. in fact its the reason I ask you for build advice :)
That being said.. I am only lvl 72... will see what happens once I hit the earlier 80's. :cool:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011

Ok things are starting to get better :)
Lvl 75 7800 ES (with Discipline), 120 Mana/sec and 1080 per hit on Ice Storm :thumbsup:
I still get scary moments but overall very nice.
I finally have enough mana and regen to run Clarity, Discipline and Temporal chains with Blasphemy.
I cannot wait for Blasphemy to get to around lvl 18/19. :)

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Now you're rolling! Sounds like you're about as strong as my WI character now.

It feels like there's so much scaling still available if you keep leveling, which is awesome. My pre-90 goal is to get the 3% cold pen node.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Three new Ascendancy classes revealed today.

Ranger's Pathfinder looks amazing. It's the flask ascendancy. Nodes such as 20% chance to gain flask charge on crit, all flasks remove bleeding (That's one of the 4 pointers), poison on hit during flasks, remove all elemental ailments on flask use (another 4 pointer), etc. Looks seriously awesome for many types of builds.

Marauder's Berserker looks like crap, to be quite honest.

Templar's Heirophant looks amazingly versatile as well. It has an "extra totems" node that stacks with ancestral bond (or can be taken without AB - letting you still do damage!) but makes totems weaker based on how many you have, it has a node that gives extra effects to gems socketed in helmet/gloves/boots which is only a 2 pointer and looks AWESOME... and it has a node that gives you a mini Voll's Devotion (node gives 25% chance to gain endurance charge when gaining power charge, Voll's is 100% to gain endurance when spending power charge), which should make for either an awesome way to make a crit caster templar tanky via endurance charges, or a way to make Staff CoC Discharge and Mjolner builds way more amazing.

Probably not playing any of these 3 in the next league, but excited for what they'll do for some of my standard characters!