[Part 3] Measuring CPU Draw Call Performance in Fallout 4

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpwolf23

Nov 24, 2022
Reading these and looking at the tables I would like to know what Motherboard and RAM both Detox and Zoko are using? Because I'm getting the 7800x3d but stuck at ram and motherboard selection.

zoko

Oct 15, 2022
Reading these and looking at the tables I would like to know what Motherboard and RAM both Detox and Zoko are using? Because I'm getting the 7800x3d but stuck at ram and motherboard selection.
For Me:-
Motherboard = Asus X670E-A Rog Strix (White version).
Ram = Kingston FURY Renegade 6400mt/s kit.

For Det0x:-
Motherboard = Asus Rog Crosshair X670E Hero
Ram = Teamgroup 7800mt/s kit.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Got someone else with 7800x3d to do the test.

User: yuke
CPU = 7800x3d PBO + ECLK 107
RAM = 6400MT/s XMP
GPU = Sapphire 7900 XTX nitro+

Corvega- Draw Calls: 8046 @ 136.8 FPS
Diamond City- Draw Calls: 11702@ 109.3 FPS
That second is quite a bit slower despite the faster RAM etc. We did speculate that this game at least, Radeons have a bigger overhead - think DX12 might the opposite.

Anyway #10 and #23 in the results chart, 85.74% and 76.79 of the top score respectively.
ACCXwFb.png

zoko

Oct 15, 2022
That second is quite a bit slower despite the faster RAM etc. We did speculate that this game at least, Radeons have a bigger overhead - think DX12 might the opposite.

Anyway #10 and #23 in the results chart, 85.74% and 76.79 of the top score respectively.
ACCXwFb.png
With ECLK at 107, He should be at #3 or #4, But AMD DX11 drivers overhead are crazy. Even after they "fixed" it.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
User: yuke
CPU = 7800x3d PBO + ECLK 105
RAM = 6600mhz CL30-37-37-34 (FCLK = 2200mhz)
GPU = RTX 2080 TI
View attachment 79932
Corvega- Draw Calls: 8042 @ 170.2 FPS
Diamond City- Draw Calls: 11708 @ 132 FPS
View attachment 79933View attachment 79934
Thanks,
that moves yuke from #25 or so (new entries move the rankings) to #2:
vgpyWax.png
(Results now also include some more updates from the OCUK thread.)

r1W9oUO.png

Seems to be mostly from swapping from a 7900 XTX to an RTX 2080 - although the manual timings must help too. However DX12 overhead is one thing, but for DX11 it seems that for FO4 the Radeon drivers have an overhead problem.

criminy

Jun 13, 2023
I am obviously arriving late to this fascinating discussion. Now that we are (hopefully) past the the BIOS drama issue with the new AMD motherboards, I am planning on building a new very high end PC. As someone who intends to purchase a 7800x3d to use on Bethesda's games, what exact motherboard and RAM (64GB) parts should we now buy? Since this platform will probably see future compatible CPU's, I am willing to "overbuild" for a future CPU upgrade.

So, again, what specific motherboard and 64GB RAM parts do should we get?

Also, would someone link me to a good place to discuss this question?

Thanks!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I am obviously arriving late to this fascinating discussion. Now that we are (hopefully) past the the BIOS drama issue with the new AMD motherboards, I am planning on building a new very high end PC. As someone who intends to purchase a 7800x3d to use on Bethesda's games, what exact motherboard and RAM (64GB) parts should we now buy? Since this platform will probably see future compatible CPU's, I am willing to "overbuild" for a future CPU upgrade.

Thanks!
Well, not exactly overbuilt, but a 7950x3d would be the CPU to get, the best gaming CPU out there. The ram ? EXPO 6000, the lowest CL (like CL30 or less) you can afford.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
7950x3d would be the CPU to get

No.. the 7800X3D is a better gaming CPU.
Its easier to control heat, has enough cores for 99% of all the games out there.
Unless s/he (them) needs a cpu with all those cores, the 7800X3D is a better gaming CPU hands down.

And you want the largest nVME you can afford to store all those games.
However im still debating over that vs having 3 x R0 - SATA SSD as a game storage dump, seeing how SATA SSD's are pretty cheap as hell, and you have the SATA ports available, but limited on the PCI-E lanes side.

This is like asking what kind of coffee you would like.
Your gonna get a lot of people telling you different things, and the evils of all vendors.
First and foremost, most of all the DDR5's which use EXPO voltage of 1.4 to get 6300mhz+, toss all those out the window.
Your never going to hit it with 1.4v as its very dangerous to do on a 7000X3D cpu.

Personally i like the ASRock TAICHI if ugly is OK and you dont want a Rave show in your PC Case or have the guts displayed.

I also like ASUS ROG brand, but ASUS is a big heavy Hate Hate, have no recourse but to use type situation for me and most here.

Also people will say B series motherboards are the best, but im a elitist, so i need that X670, but again, B650 is still a great board.

So like coffee, some like double shot expresso with foam, others like it super sweet and ice blended.
Its really up to what your after.

Last edited:

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021

Thanks!
Considering that chip is a gaming oriented chip, curious as to why you think you need 64GB of ram?

criminy

Jun 13, 2023
Considering that chip is a gaming oriented chip, curious as to why you think you need 64GB of ram?
Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Why all the RAM? Good question. Not to derail this thread, but I am running a very modded Skyrim currently with 32GB. I sometimes push into using almost all of it. And I actually will use the PC for more than gaming. Also, I don't change PCs very often (current build is six years, one before that almost eight), so there is some future proofing in my specs. I am trying to also prepare for a future CPU with this AMD platform.

I appreciate the opinions very much! I am still deciding MB and specific RAM parts.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Id say because 32gig sticks are way more recyclable then 16gb sticks are.
But its far easier to part off 32gig sticks down the road, or recycle the system when its not ram limited for anything.
I always endorse getting largest single stick capacity possible, and then pairing them to keep dual channel and beyond.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Id say because 32gig sticks are way more recyclable then 16gb sticks are.
But its far easier to part off 32gig sticks down the road, or recycle the system when its not ram limited for anything.
I always endorse getting largest single stick capacity possible, and then pairing them to keep dual channel and beyond.
Sometimes it's difficult to reach the speeds/timings you want with 32GB sticks.

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
Would that not depend on the tech of the platform. I mean like AM5 can handle it better than earlier AM4. At least that's what I've found with my AM5 rig compare to my older AM4 system from couple yrs back.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Yeah thats very true, but EXPO is disabled, and you guys probably wont get it back on this platform.
And if you really hash at it, 100mhz difference with 1-2 less on timings translates to about at best 10% on something very memory intensive, which i say is not a lot considering you got double the ram if not more.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Would that not depend on the tech of the platform. I mean like AM5 can handle it better than earlier AM4. At least that's what I've found with my AM5 rig compare to my older AM4 system from couple yrs back.

Yes. AM5 can do 32GB sticks better than AM4 (especially early AM4) but it still isn't perfect. If you want DDR5-6000 or higher on AM5, 16GB appears to be a lot easier.

Yeah thats very true, but EXPO is disabled, and you guys probably wont get it back on this platform.
And if you really hash at it, 100mhz difference with 1-2 less on timings translates to about at best 10% on something very memory intensive, which i say is not a lot considering you got double the ram if not more.
EXPO is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Anyone buying premium RAM for AM5 and not hand-tuning it (even if that means just copying Buildzoid or whoever) is probably doing it wrong. But with 32GB you have to be very careful, even when hand-tuning. I think a few people have kits that can hit DDR5-6000 but not very many.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
With how bloated Bethesda's games are, and mods, having lots of RAM is a good idea for doing a RAMDisk. Especially with loose files. And thanks to Windows' junctions, it's trivial to put files on a RAMDisk.

For optimal specs, it's a 3D Ryzen CPU, and the fastest RAM you can get as per the benchmark results. For motherboards, apparently ITX can have better performance than the bigger ones due to the shorter copper traces connecting components. How much of a difference? No idea.

jpwolf23

Nov 24, 2022
Hi, can anyone answer this question about the average fps that 4070ti will play Fallout 4 at 1080p or 2k? As I want to upgrade to a whole new PC with a 4070 ti or GTX 4080

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Hi, can anyone answer this question about the average fps that 4070ti will play Fallout 4 at 1080p or 2k? As I want to upgrade to a whole new PC with a 4070 ti or GTX 4080

Playing Fallout 4 and actually enjoying it most likely means you will be using many mods. A strong CPU is priority #1 if you care about high framerate.

A 1080 Ti can run most of the nice looking mods for Fallout 4 at 1440p 60fps. A 3080 can do it at 144 fps; and x3d is really helpful to hit that high fps.

On a slightly related note, I have moved to Fallout 4 VR. I can maintain 120fps at 4184x2116 resolution for the 3080. Combining AMD fidelity FX with TAA really helps image quality.

I did have to cut back on a lot of AI war mods. The 5800x3d cannot run as many AI in VR and I had to cut back draw distance from 7 uGrids back to the default 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and KompuKare

jpwolf23

Nov 24, 2022
Playing Fallout 4 and actually enjoying it most likely means you will be using many mods. A strong CPU is priority #1 if you care about high framerate.

A 1080 Ti can run most of the nice looking mods for Fallout 4 at 1440p 60fps. A 3080 can do it at 144 fps; and x3d is really helpful to hit that high fps.

On a slightly related note, I have moved to Fallout 4 VR. I can maintain 120fps at 4184x2116 resolution for the 3080. Combining AMD fidelity FX with TAA really helps image quality.

I did have to cut back on a lot of AI war mods. The 5800x3d cannot run as many AI in VR and I had to cut back draw distance from 7 uGrids back to the default 5.
Thank you for answering my question. I was thinking of getting a 7800x3d but cannot decide on what brand motherboard, ram, gpu's that would maximise fps for Bethesda games as well as AAA games.