Palin loses in Alaska, Democrats gain lone house seat for first time in decades.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
I dont this one matters much. Dems are going to lose big in November.

The way things are looking currently - they've got a pretty good shot at gaining at least one seat in the Senate, maybe even two.
The house looks worse for them, but it currently looks way better than the blowout that I expected a few months ago.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The way things are looking currently - they've got a pretty good shot at gaining at least one seat in the Senate, maybe even two.
The house looks worse for them, but it currently looks way better than the blowout that I expected a few months ago.

Well you never know these days.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The Alito blue tsunami is coming.
I think it's becoming increasingly clear that the reason SCOTUS got so upset about the Dobbs leak was because they intended to hold off releasing the decision until after the midterms.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm more of a traditionalist and old. I like what I am used too. I really don't see any inherent problems with it. Seems weird having everyone on the same ballot (Dems, Repubs and Independents).
What if the party system died and we started voting for the most qualified candidate who best fit our personal positions on the issues, instead of whatever stooge the parties choose to let us decide between?

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Typical Repub ploy where they go hard right to win primaries then swing a wee bit softer the other way to sucker some independents into voting R. Hypocrisy is not at all a problem so long as these Repub candidates stay on the red side of the fence. Hell they could stand on the fence and lean a bit their way and it's all good.
The bitch that won my district in 2020 just straight ran on a democratic platform in the general. Of course her first act in Congress was voting to end democracy and has voted against everything she claimed to be for.

Reactions: trenchfoot

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The bitch that won my district in 2020 just straight ran on a democratic platform in the general. Of course her first act in Congress was voting to end democracy and has voted against everything she claimed to be for.

And I bet she'll keep doing that over and over again and keep winning because there's so many gullible careless voters that don't care to catch on to the scam she's pulling on them.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I think it's becoming increasingly clear that the reason SCOTUS got so upset about the Dobbs leak was because they intended to hold off releasing the decision until after the midterms.
Can they do that? I thought they had to give an opinion in the session the case was heard?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Thanks to Bidenflation I even have to economize words these days.
It's somehow hilarious that the same conservatives who claim to know oh-so-much about economic matters are too fucking stupid to know that this inflation was caused entirely by the Fed's loose monetary policies during the pandemic.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Thanks to Bidenflation I even have to economize words these days.

Fact: The US dollar is historically strong for the very reason that the US has weathered the WORLDWIDE inflation better than virtually every other country on earth.

It amazes me how simple minded Republicans are.

By every standard, the Biden administration has handled the economy AND energy prices better than every other world leader during the WORLDWIDE economic inflationary period. We have had close to the lowest inflation rates AND every prices of any first world country on earth.

Oops.

Facts matter.

Last edited:

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Actually three. Pa,NC, and Wisconsin are showing Democrat senate candidates in the lead in the recent polls.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Question, is the senate race in Alaska in November also going to be ranked choice? If so, there is a chance that Democrats may win 4 seats in the senate in November. this would require Tshibaka getting eliminated in the last round. There are 3 Republicans against 1 Democrat. If Tshibaka losses before the last round, then Merkowski would win.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Actually three. Pa,NC, and Wisconsin are showing Democrat senate candidates in the lead in the recent polls.
Pa will most likely end up blue, and Wisconsin looks like it's leaning that way slightly, but GA is much much closer than I thought it would be and I wouldn't put my money on NC at all.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
What if the party system died and we started voting for the most qualified candidate who best fit our personal positions on the issues, instead of whatever stooge the parties choose to let us decide between?

That may be a good thing.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The party system is not likely to ever die because it is more of a consequence of human nature then the particulars of the political system. Simply put it makes sense to band together and share costs (both economic and political) and make alliances of mutual support.

What RCV naturally does is weaken the power the parties hold considerably. RCV will tend to push both parties closer together ideologically, and should allow more parties to successfully campaign. It also allows for single issue parties to form to actually get some important issues handled.